Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Slow Titegroup 38 Special loads

SGT_Schultz

1 hour ago, ysrracer said:

Coated bullets were faster in my 627 than plated bullets.

I'm sure of it

That's why last night I broke into my stash of SNS 158 RN and loaded up five with a max +P load of Titegroup.

Just waiting for a semi warm (for January in Ohio) day to light them off.

Just now, SGT_Schultz said:

I'm sure of it

That's why last night I broke into my stash of SNS 158 RN and loaded up five with a max +P load of Titegroup.

Just waiting for a semi warm (for January in Ohio) day to light them off.

Yeah, it was 80 today in So Cal, and a little too warm to go to the range :)

On 1/18/2021 at 9:05 PM, ysrracer said:

Yeah, it was 80 today in So Cal, and a little too warm to go to the range :)

I had to go to 6.2 grains of Vectan Ba9 to barely make 125 pf with the plated 158 Everglades.

Ran 4.2 gr of Titegroup under 158 gr SNS coated RN and got an average of 830 fps.

Done with plated bullets.

• 3 years later...
On 1/14/2021 at 9:50 PM, SGT_Schultz said:

Federal primer, Remington brass, 158 gr RNFP Everglades plated bullets, 4.2 grains of TG.

5" 627 five shot average MV: 729 fps.  4" model 64 five shot average MV: 685 fps

How much more TG can I cram in there to get 130 PF?

Federal primer, Remington brass, 158 gr RNFP Everglades plated bullets, 4.2 grains of TG.

5" 627 five shot average MV: 729 fps.  4" model 64 five shot average MV: 685 fps

I run 4.5 Titegroup 130 m&p mold projos powder coated with my .38 special 

sometimes I order the conical 125grn projos from American Reloading with 4.5 

but I'm gonna start with a Lee mold 158grn RNFP powder coat with 4.2 Titegroup and will crono and share the results..

4.5 TG 130 cast projos shoot at 870 FPS very comfortable load to shoot and fun! No flat primers and shooting through a snub nose colt king cobra

On 1/18/2021 at 6:44 PM, ysrracer said:

Yep, that's why I load .38 Short Colt. You can use 9mm load data and go up or down from there.

thats not making alot of sense. at least as far as starline 38 short colt is exactly the same brass as 38 special. If you can make X power factor with Y powder in a 38 short case you can do the exact same thing at the exact same pressure, in a 38 special case. You may need a bit more in the larger case but the pressure is gonna be the same.

Oh and just read what Mike said...
Yeh Ditto What he said.. 

17 minutes ago, Joe4d said:

thats not making alot of sense. at least as far as starline 38 short colt is exactly the same brass as 38 special. If you can make X power factor with Y powder in a 38 short case you can do the exact same thing at the exact same pressure, in a 38 special case. You may need a bit more in the larger case but the pressure is gonna be the same.

Oh and just read what Mike said...
Yeh Ditto What he said.. 

What? .38 Short Colt is NOT exactly the same as .38 Special, it's MUCH shorter.

To get the same velocity out of .38 Special I need to use more powder.

23 minutes ago, ysrracer said:

What? .38 Short Colt is NOT exactly the same as .38 Special, it's MUCH shorter.

To get the same velocity out of .38 Special I need to use more powder.

the brass, the web, rim, strength etc etc is exactly the same,, the only difference is length..  Using less powder in a 38SC doesnt mean its making velocity at lower or safer pressure. To get the same velocity, the pressure has to be exactly the same if you are using the same powder..
So Saying Oh I use 38 short colt instead of special because its safer isnt true... Which is the point I think you were trying to say.
. Pressure will be identical, safety or lack there of will also be identical.  SO if tight group cant  make PF safely in a 38 SPC case it cant do it in a short colt case either.  and vice versa if it can.

12 minutes ago, Joe4d said:

the brass, the web, rim, strength etc etc is exactly the same,, the only difference is length..  Using less powder in a 38SC doesnt mean its making velocity at lower or safer pressure. To get the same velocity, the pressure has to be exactly the same if you are using the same powder..
So Saying Oh I use 38 short colt instead of special because its safer isnt true... Which is the point I think you were trying to say.
. Pressure will be identical, safety or lack there of will also be identical.  SO if tight group cant  make PF safely in a 38 SPC case it cant do it in a short colt case either.  and vice versa if it can.

I don't give a rat's ass about pressure, I'm shooting it in a .357 gun.

I care about velocity / power factor.