Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Para Mags And Parts

vsound

Hi all,

I have been having a few issues with my Para P16-40 mags. There are several issues, and I know what's happening, but as of right now, I don't seem to be able to locate the solutions. One issue that I think is happening is magazines not being dimensionally in spec with each other (all factory mags). Some appear to be wider than others, etc. Does anybody have any suggestions for aftermarket mag bodies that might be of higher quality, preferably in stainless?

The other main issue I'm having is with the followers. They seem to be allowing the bottom round to shove around the side and thus wedge the follower against the body. This ends up locking up the follower so all the rounds are just loose above. Does anybody know of a supplier of steel or stainless followers?

Thanks.

The other main issue I'm having is with the followers. They seem to be allowing the bottom round to shove around the side and thus wedge the follower against the body. This ends up locking up the follower so all the rounds are just loose above. Does anybody know of a supplier of steel or stainless followers?

Do you have base pads on them? I have no trouble with the factory base pads, but I put some Dawson +1's on there and have to be careful or I will have the exact same problem. The mag will hold and reliably feed 19 rounds with those basepads. I can put more rounds in them, up to 21 I think, but more often than not, they will do just what you described and lock up on me.

Do you have base pads on them? I have no trouble with the factory base pads, but I put some Dawson +1's on there and have to be careful or I will have the exact same problem. The mag will hold and reliably feed 19 rounds with those basepads. I can put more rounds in them, up to 21 I think, but more often than not, they will do just what you described and lock up on me.

Yes, I have the Dawson base pads. However, I have been noticing that the lock-up occurs at around 16 or 17 rounds, not 20 or 21. It's not always noticeable until I start taking rounds out, but if I take my time and check the mag after each round goes in, I can usually feel when it happens. I think it might be happening when the rounds reach the bottom of the vertical grooves on the side (where it widens out slightly). But, I did notice that when it happens, the follower seems to be flexing some, which is why I'd like to find some steel followers so they won't flex like the plastic.

I had this problem with my STI mags in 9mm and it turned out an extra coil on the spring was all that was needed to cure the issue. Beven Grams pointed this out and took care of me (it's basically a tolerance stacking issue). Not sure if he has his new Para stuff available yet, but I'd give him a call to see what he recommends.

Good to see you have the correct tubes! The reason I asked is that I use Para factory tubes, factory plastic followers, Grams "old" style springs, and Dawson base pads for my limited and open gun. They work fine loaded to 20. (A couple of them will take 21. Tight fit but good starter mags.) This last weekend I did a training/match thing that had me shoot about 1500 rounds. I had one malfunction and that was due to not cleaning a mag that had hit the dirt the prior exercise. (Note to self: CTFMIIHTD!) I just load and go. The only caution I take is to make sure the projectile is facing the correct direction!

AFAIK, Beven's new Para stuff is not ready yet. I can't wait to get all the mags up to a reliable 21! I use his new style stuff in my STI for Para big sticks and they work fine!

Like 300# says, give Beven a call.

Good Luck,

Chuck

PS: Original question on aftermarket. Other than the STI for Para stuff, the only thing that worked were the MecGar 10 round .45 mags. Everything else is crap.

I polished the insides of my mag bodies using the directions on Max Michel’s website and haven’t had near as much trouble as I did before. I’ve also found a good solid rap against the heel of the hand with the back of the mag helps get everything ‘lined up’.

I’m running Para tubes, followers and springs with Dawson base pads.

Thanks for the responses guys. I think I'm going to talk to Beven and see what he says. I sent them an email, but I haven't heard back, so I'll just try to call them one of these days.

BTW, Max Michel's website is down. I suspect due to Katrina related issue, but I'm not sure.

It's kind of odd reading about these problems.

I've got 8 mags for my P1640 LTD purchased from at least a couple of sources (5 tubes, 3 complete mags) and have never had a bit of trouble with any of them, even when loaded to 21 rounds.

On advice from this site, I'm running Para tubes, springs, and followers with Dawson extensions. Tried a Wolff spring but it caused nothing but problems.

I did polish the tubes with a non-scratching scotch-brite pad and made sure the edges on the followers were smooth. I noticed Hopalong had cut down the follower "legs" on the mag he loaned me, but I haven't tried it yet. It might allow enough extra space so I could actually reload to a 21 round mag, but so far I haven't run into any 43 round stages yet.

I think part of the issue is inconsistency between mag tubes. Using the same base pad, if I change the tubes, some will be loose in the base pad, others will be tighter. I haven't taken a micrometer to them yet, but I'm reasonably certain this is the cause of one of the problems (follower hanging up on bottom edge of mag tube).