Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Lee Precision 1000 Charging Question - Newbie

This is my first foray into reloading and i'm learning as I go, so be gentle. I'm reloading 9mm with 147 gr bullets and using Winchester Autocomp. It calls for a charge between 3.6 and 4.0. I've made 50 so far one at a time and weighed 25 of them and they were all at 3.9 but two (3.8 and 4.0). I'm using the smallest distribution disk (.30) but I would have liked to have been at the lower end of the range. Am I at any risk at 3.9 and how do I reduce the charge if i'm using the smallest disk/hole. Thanks for any help you can give.  Mike

You can either buy the adjustable charge bar or use something like nail polish to build up the inside of the hole to reduce volume. I hate to give advice not knowing how it works in your gun but you may be just fine without changing anything. A trip to the chrono would be a good idea.

I’ve taken electrical tape and put small sections inside the hole to reduce the volume. Usually a piece the height of the hole and half way around will reduce about .1 with some powders. The adjustable charge bar can sometimes be worse with lighter charges because the chamber doesn’t go back under the wiper as far as the disks. Make sure your getting a full throw on your disks and your not adding any extra vibrations. 

I did the mod that AzDanMan mentioned and it works well, better than the charge bar did for me. 

That's a scratch not a crack next to the screw, but do be careful when you drill. I just have a hand drill.

You can also get a 3D printed, after market micro charge from Titan Reloading for around $30.

https://www.titanreloading.com/titan-reloading-products/titan-micro-charge

Time is one thing, but once you start spending money on the Auto Disk, you might want to consider an Auto Drum. I have both now and use the 

Auto Drum most often.

Dave

IMG_9382 web.JPG