Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

XDM Mech tech CCU spring question

Chapo

I have added several reduced power springs to my XDM 9mm to include: a reduced power sear, trigger spring etc. Now, 9 out of every 10 shots are light primer strikes. Any thoughts? Maybe not enough forward force to move the CCU striker? Thinking that I may go back to factory springs on the gun? Thoughts? I thought the springs would make the trigger pull better, but inadvertently created another problem. 

• 1 month later...

The trigger and sear springs shouldn’t have any effect on the striker power. I’m not familiar with those kits but on the XD’s the striker has its own spring. If you change that for a lighter pull, (less psi against the sear) Yes you can get light strikes.  Have you contacted the manufacturer and found out anything?

I'm with Farmer on this.  Any springs you changed in the lower don't affect how hard the striker hits the primer in the MechTech.

In my experience, there is a very narrow piece of metal on the bolt that guides the striker on one side.  I call it a "fence".  That broke off on my first bolt and caused some problems.

One of the things I did was narrow the sear, so it wouldn't catch that piece when the bolt closes.  In other words, I took metal from the sear so it only catches the striker and doesn't hit that "fence" that supports the striker or the bolt on the other side of the striker. 

I also had other misfires caused by the striker having a squared shoulder where the striker enters the firing pin bore of the bolt. See the attached pic.  I carefully beveled that piece and touched the edge of the firing-pin bore with a carbide drill to bevel it a little (very little) to allow the striker to enter that bore easier.  Additionally, I put a lighter Glock striker spring (just happens to fit) with the Glock maritime cups on the striker (not shown in the pic).  The cups keep the spring centered on the striker.  There was no provision for that on the OEM striker and the spring drags in the main bolt bore.  Now for a cautionary word.  This will probably void your warranty.  But it is what worked for me.  The striker is a nicely machined assembly and is loctited, so to disassemble will take a little carefully applied heat.xdmSear.jpg.7becc750257a1e259be2c7c39a3c12ad.jpgMechTechFP.jpg.0e81487b716e98b7287117a4c5f9c88f.jpg