Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

SVI Open Trigger Problem

IT-Sniper

I got an older and pretty run down SVI Open in 38 Super.

when dry firing trigger is excelent but when shooting often the trigger feels sluggish and very hard to pull. First I thought I had accidentally engaged the safety.

This mostly happens when holding  the gun in a firm grip and applying some downward pressure on the thumb safety. Simply resting my thumb on the safety lever is enough.

If I keep my thumb off the safety it is happening far less often.

Second thing I noticed , when dry firing and holding the trigger back I cannot cock the hammer. I pull it all the way back and upon release it drops immediately.

This ONLY happens when cocking the hammer manually. When pulling the slide back and letting go, hammer is cocked normally.

- gun is in 38 super Auto 

- no grip safety

- left side thumb safety 

- ammo used was Winchester 38 super+P factory ammo

- I did not strip down the frame, trigger, etc. So I cannot have made mistakes upon reassembly.

I suspect sear or safety or maybe simply dirt. When I received the gun there was no oil and grease on it but a lot of dirt.

Any other ideas?

Second thing I noticed , when dry firing and holding the trigger back I cannot cock the hammer. I pull it all the way back and upon release it drops immediately.

This ONLY happens when cocking the hammer manually. When pulling the slide back and letting go, hammer is cocked normally.

hold the trigger back and cycle the slide, after that you can reset the trigger and the hammer will drop.

Let you trigger system refurbish from a gunsmith. My trigger bow whas after dry firing bended... Very good are the x-geppert trigger bow Atlas have it. https://www.atlasgunworks.com/product-details?id=1928690

5 hours ago, IT-Sniper said:

That is how it is suppose to work. The slide operates the disconnector. 

8 hours ago, IT-Sniper said:

I got an older and pretty run down SVI Open in 38 Super.

when dry firing trigger is excelent but when shooting often the trigger feels sluggish and very hard to pull. First I thought I had accidentally engaged the safety.

Check the over travel screw, make sure it's not in too far.