Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Guidance and Feedback Requested - Is Reloading Powder going to become the next TP and Primer Concern (will not use the word shortage)

Sigarmsp226

So as we all know in the shooting and reloading world we are living in today it started about two - three months ago with bullets and then with primers (or the other way around).  It seems to me in reading (and in the bullet orders I have placed and received) the availability of most common reloading bullets are "starting" to re-appear (I know there are exceptions).  

Related to reloading powders - Locally I have seen powder supplies diminish and when I go on-line to order from any of the three most popular supply houses I am seeing my "go to" powders (pistol and rifle) as being consistently out of stock. 

One other thing I have to mention - I (we) live on a single income and therefore I cannot financially afford to purchase more than 3 to 5 lbs. of powder at one time (thus the reason I usually purchase locally).  Also - I am not out of powder today but want guidance related to forward looking scenario's.  Therefore my question to the BE Forum brain trust -

Do others here believe that reloading powders could or will become in short supply going into some of the unknowns we reloaders are going into? 

Not trying to create a false sense of fear but rather asking so I can better plan based on my $$ capabilities/limitations but more so my concern of "What could happen post election" related to reloading powders if the unthinkable occurs...Thoughts/Comments.???    

I think you should rethink what you can afford. You can look at what you shoot and probably really narrow down the number of powders you need. Then order bulk once and be done with it for a decade

Going forward, near and long term, my focus will be on primers. It seemed like you could always find some type of powder online but all primers have been sold out for a while. Same thing for bullets, they can be found but may not be your first choice.

Just looked at whats selling for wayyy more than last year, primers.

And I get the fixed income, I'm now in a single income family so everything needs a little closer of a look before buying so I'm saving up for bulk primer buys.

Based on previous panics, Primers is the big one.  Powders get hard to come by, especially locally, but usually you can find something that will work for pistol loads even if it's not the latest hotness unicorn powder.