Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Us Optics Sn-3 1.8 X 10x 44 Mm Scope For 3 Gun

Lilly

I am considering the UP Optics SN-3 1.8 x 10x 44mm scope with the MOA scale type 1 reticle for 3 gun. I need more magnification that 4 power and more light and field of view than scopes like the Leupold 1.5 x 5, so this looks like the ideal scope. Does anybody know anything about it? Would it work for 3-gun?

Thanks for your help.

Hi Lilly,

Why more than 4x. I use a fixed mag ACOG (4x) and short range sights on the handguard. I would not hesitate to engage out to 500+ with this magnification.

Maybe the scope you are using is making you think lower power ranges are not enough.

Power is not the issue with 3 gunning. A wide field of view and clarity/brightness are.

Find someone locally with one and try an ACOG out and see if it makes you happy (TA-11, or TA-01). IMHO, a high powered variable, even if it has a low power end is a real loser in 3 gunning compared to the fixed mag ACOG's and low powered variables, like the Simmons Pro Diamond and the Leupold CQT.

--

Regards,

Find someone locally with one and try an ACOG out and see if it makes you happy (TA-11, or TA-01). IMHO, a high powered variable, even if it has a low power end is a real loser in 3 gunning compared to the fixed mag ACOG's and low powered variables, like the Simmons Pro Diamond and the Leupold CQT.

--

Regards,

That is what I have - a TA-01 - and I am having a hard time seeing what I need to see at longer distances.

That is what I have - a TA-01 - and I am having a hard time seeing what I need to see at longer distances.

The TA-01 is 4x and I find that amount of mag fine. I had a 3.5-10x on a 3gun rifle for a while and believe me, it's a real loser because you never use much above 3.5-4. I used 5x once, or twice in many years at a match but I coulda' done it just as well at 4x.

An 8' inch popper at 240 yards and a 10" flash target at 335 yards are the worst cases you should ever see. If they aren't contrasted from the background well, that's a match problem, not a gun problem.

Are other shooters having similar problems on the targets you are having trouble on? Or are you having the trouble while others are hitting the targets easily. There are specific fixes for each of these situations and neither involves new optics ;-)

If you have a vision limitation, there are better ways to correct than with a high mag scope.

--

Regards,

Are other shooters having similar problems on the targets you are having trouble on? Or are you having the trouble while others are hitting the targets easily. There are specific fixes for each of these situations and neither involves new optics ;-)

--

Regards,

I had trouble at a couple of the long range rilfe stages at the last Raton match. There were targets in shadows that I could never get a good look at. Others had a better time than I did. I did not feel confident when I took some shots that I was lined up on the target correctly. I thought a higher magnification and more light would help me. You are saying that is not the case. That is rather discouraging because I do not have vision problems.

More power is generally not the solution. I think your current scope is an excellent choice for 3 gun, far better than a U.S. Optics 3-10X. Maybe you should try a Leupold 1.75-6X if you feel you need a bit more power. But I would not give up the low end of the variable equation to get 10X which will only help up on an insignificant amount of 3 gun rifle target presentations.

US Optics makes a 1-4 model SN-4 in a slimline model. This is an excellent 3 gun scope. Very wide field of view on 4x and clear. It also is a true 1x power which I needed to be able to see up close. All the other scopes that are 1.25 or 1.5 power on the low end distorted everything too much for me. The other good thing is that the reticle remains the same no matter where the power is set at. At Nationals this year on the long range stage I held over the first three poppers using 4x then changed to 2.5 power for the swinging targets and close paper. I forget to change back on the last 330 yard steel but it was no big deal as the holdover was the same. I use the 2.5 moa dot surrounded by a large donut. I zero at 200 then touch the bottom of the dot to the top of the steel plate at 330.

Carl

Lilly, IMHO, you have great gear already and it's perfectly capable of making the shot if you are. I am thinking some technique tweaking will be the best way to improve at hitting targets of that difficulty level. The RM3G LD rifle stages are no mean feat, but the targets there are all hittable if good technique is employed. That is very true with lesser gear than you have, it should not be that hard with that scope. I do suggest Matt Burkett's DVD on the AR-15 as a starting point. There is enough in there about building solid positions and making tough shots to be helpful in your case.

I also suggest analyzing what was bad about the position, target presentation and physical state you were in when it was difficult (winded, shivering, etc.) and set up practices to work on this type of situation. 300 yard targets require careful trigger control coupled with sight picture analysis to get a hit at all, let alone quickly. I find that a lot of folks let themselves get out of optical position on the scope when they get into improvised and awkward field positions and they are unable to use the optics they have effectively until they get the head position and cheek weld back together again.

Lack of stability in the butt stock hold of the rifle because your shoulder is in a squirmy position is a major source of trouble on the long stuff with optics. If it's hard to find it, it's gonna be even harder to hold on it if your wobble factor is high and if the shoulder is squirming around your wobble factor is real high. Learning how to improvise the solidity needed in position is the key to fast, easy 300+ yard hits on the 10" steel plates that are the scoring portion of typical rifle flash targets.

My best advice is to stick with the TA-01 and just practice at real hard rifle situations. Don't work on any easy stuff until the LD stuff is easy.

--

Regards,

I had trouble at a couple of the long range rilfe stages at the last Raton match. There were targets in shadows that I could never get a good look at. Others had a better time than I did. I did not feel confident when I took some shots that I was lined up on the target correctly. I thought a higher magnification and more light would help me. You are saying that is not the case. That is rather discouraging because I do not have vision problems.

By any chance you're talking about stage 7 ;) ? Yes, the 300 yds flasher was in the shadow until mid morning and it was hard to see. We kept fresh white paint on the back board, but that was only good until the muck got splattered all over it after a few shooters. You're not the only one having problem seeing that one. Sorry, next time I won't set the flash target in muck. I'd say keep your TA01

Edited by PacMan

As the others have said your scope is a good choice for 300 +, you didn't say what bullet you were using or if you have a good trigger both of which can enter into hit probability. Practice is your friend especially at 300 and beyond. Suggest you put some paper out at 300 and see just what you get. Every time I do this it makes me want to practice. Keith

I think Stage 7 was less of a problem than Stage 2 as far as the mud splatter. Time of day made a difference too as targets were not painted throughout the day, only in the morning (at least that is what we were told in our squad). We had three iron shooters and shot #2 at the end of the day. Two targets were so muddy as to be indestinguishable from the back boards. I shot a TA11 and had trouble seeing where the plates were too, but was able to shoot them. We had an open shooter with a 3.5-10x Leupold and he had trouble with them at 10x.

We asked to have them painted but were refused, so we took our lumps. (Those USPSA rules would have come in handy there!). Still had fun.

I wouldn't base a scope preference on the 2005 RM3G rifle stages. They have already promised to get them out of the mud in the future and the targets that were black on white were pretty easy to see, even with irons...