Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Chewy's training diary

TheChewycookie

I prefer a 2 MOA dot due to astigmatism. Mine happens to draw a diagonal line from center to bottom left that I can observe on a 3.25 MOA RMR and I want as round of a dot as I can get.

In January I should have an eye exam and I am planning on picking up some Hunter's HD. Hopefully it will correct the astigmatism as much as possible. I don't like wearing contacts due to dry eyes and causes me to blink significantly more, even though most people say it corrects astigmatism better than glasses; I haven't observed a difference.

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

11/22/20

Shot last planned local USPSA match, last minute switch Prod due to both RDS gun's optics breaking a week before.

Goal - Have fun, win Production.

Points I wanted to focus on - maximize points as much as possible, any pairs of shots on the move in between steps.

Good: I am shooting way more relaxed now that I am thinking simply about having fun. A few small frustrations are fine as long as I move on from those.

Okay: Execution during the COF - mentally slow during some parts and sometimes moving early on a scoring zone. A decently large number of left side Cs and Ms. Need to keep a more consistent weak hand grip.

Needs Work: Confidence in gun manipulation - it was raining and had a moment that I wasn't sure I had the right grip on the draw, and another when I had fully racked the gun on a non-lock back reload and racked a round out of the chamber(the base of my thumb covers the slide lock); SOLUTION - dryfire without a timer and having consistent locations of grip and motion. Need to widen stance a bit more and improve stutter steps for stop positions to prevent going beyond intended that spot. I've also been noticing I have a tendency to drag my feet during short position movements.

GOAL MET. While not my primary division, I still had fun. Was able to roll around with any issues I had.

Only 1 mag toss for hitting a NS.

Production win by .19%. 2nd locap (Master in prod shooting SS won by ~15%)

111A 18C 1D 4M (3 of which were hardcover) 2NS (134 round match)

Scores: https://practiscore.com/results/new/123485?q_division=5

47 minutes ago, Reds_Dot said:

When shooting did you see the mikes (hardcover or otherwise) and decide to leave them or did you call them good hits only to see the M later during scoring? 

The first stage you see (stage 4) the weather (rain @ 50°F or less) was getting to me and I decided for the right side M/NS to move on since I had already shot all 10+1 on the first mag. Failed to call some mikes, also with some water on my glasses. Needed a bit to mentally reconstitute for the remaining stages and refocus to calling hits instead of trying for speed.

Stage 5 the weather was starting to clear up. I wasn't 100% sure and decided to move on from a right side tux; call made was 2 hits on the border of the hardcover but one of them was just outside the scoring A zone. After this point I decided to remove thoughts about aiming for speed and decided just to focus on good hits.

I have noticed that I don't trust myself sometimes on irons, and I don't have the correct sight alignment for what I need to respect each target. I sometimes tunnel vision into just target focus.

13 minutes ago, TheChewycookie said:

The first stage you see (stage 4) the weather (rain @ 50°F or less) was getting to me and I decided for the right side M/NS to move on since I had already shot all 10+1 on the first mag. Failed to call some mikes, also with some water on my glasses. Needed a bit to mentally reconstitute for the remaining stages and refocus to calling hits instead of trying for speed.

Stage 5 the weather was starting to clear up. I wasn't 100% sure and decided to move on from a right side tux; call made was 2 hits on the border of the hardcover but one of them was just outside the scoring A zone. After this point I decided to remove thoughts about aiming for speed and decided just to focus on good hits.

Personally, I have found that thinking about speed at all during a stage can be a bit of a mistake if I am truly focused on stage performance. Unless you are pushing for speed and using it for training. Sounds like that was not your goal here though. That being the case I just shoot the acceptable sight picture. I  find that I naturally will go "fast" if I think about nothing else other than sight picture and executing the stage plan. 

13 minutes ago, TheChewycookie said:

I have noticed that I don't trust myself sometimes on irons, and I don't have the correct sight alignment for what I need to respect each target. I sometimes tunnel vision into just target focus.

I did and still believe that target focus with irons is the proper thing to do even at 25 yard head-boxes. You have to train your eyes to line-up "the blur" of the front and rear sights. I was actually very successful at that and I think that is one of the reasons I did so well swapping to optics back in 2017. 

56 minutes ago, Reds_Dot said:

Personally, I have found that thinking about speed at all during a stage can be a bit of a mistake if I am truly focused on stage performance. Unless you are pushing for speed and using it for training. Sounds like that was not your goal here though. That being the case I just shoot the acceptable sight picture. I  find that I naturally will go "fast" if I think about nothing else other than sight picture and executing the stage plan. 

I have noticed that any fast times I produce is when I'm not thinking about going fast, sometimes it feels like underwater slowness with an additional autopilot if I programmed the stage into my mind correctly. A big focus for '21 season is to only think about stage execution and how to move around the stage. The speed will be there, just need the plan and make the hits. 

1 hour ago, Reds_Dot said:

I did and still believe that target focus with irons is the proper thing to do even at 25 yard head-boxes. You have to train your eyes to line-up "the blur" of the front and rear sights. I was actually very successful at that and I think that is one of the reasons I did so well swapping to optics back in 2017. 

I want to find the mid point focus between the irons (when I'm not working dots) and target. I found I had better times with good to acceptable hits on the stages where both target and sights had mid focus. I sometimes target focus really hard, and ignore the alignment of sights or index to target. Target focus has been fine on a 5 yard target, but I find it's a bit of a reach at 12 yards for me.

• 2 weeks later...

12/5/2020

Official offseason just for fun matches starts now.

Scores: https://practiscore.com/results/new/8f48303f-d602-476a-bed0-b368b4ef9ecb?q_division=0

2nd Limited (99.03%) and 8th overall

54A 27C 4D (85 rounds)

Classifier percentages: 18-07 (76.4162%) 20-01 (83.3421%)

Goals: Primary focus on efficient movement. Secondary focus on shot confirmation and no targets untouched or missing shots. FUN

• Good: Shot calling was mostly good, I was pretty happy with most of my paper hits even with 4D in an 85 round count match; most of those were made up with movement speed. Grip was consistent and solid. Solid stage plans. Aggressive, yet controlled stage movement with lifted feet enough off the ground to not drag against the ground.
  • Okay: Need to index a bit more center of available A zone. Had a few make ups that I called bad that were due to breaking shots a bit early causing me to go back to a target. Foot placement and body height - had a few moments that I could have more easily moved out of position or had an easier shot if I had lowered my center of gravity a bit more. Confidence on steel and partials - stuttered a bit, I may still be relying on sound instead of visual confirmation, need to be a bit more patience on partial paper
  • Needs work: Equipment maintenance - mag internals were getting gummy a lot quicker than I imagined. Probably either need to cull a few mags and replace, or treat the inside of the mags with a bit of silicone. (I haven't had issues like this with my 9mm mags before and the ammo I was previously using may have been a bit dirtier, learning some new things). Check zero of irons - not used to Vogel sights yet, need to confirm zero of the small variety of factory ammos I have.

GOALS WERE MET: Sure I lost the limited division match, but I was overall satisfied with my performance and had fun.

GOALS FOR NEXT MATCH: Rehearsal of footsteps and foot placement. More aggressive target transitions.

12/12/2020

Outlaw match. 2 hits anywhere on paper. All static steel had 2 hits per. Some falling steel. 1 activator stage.

Match obviously has a bias towards who can race the hardest with any scoring hits on target.

6th Overall, 4th pistol.

1 penalty Miss on paper

Goals to achieve since last match: Aggressive transitions, rehearsal of footsteps.

• Good: Aggressive transitions, stayed low overall, targets that were logical to engage on the move were engaged on the move
  • Okay: Footwork - Wasn't exactly what I was looking for/needed for some stages
  • Needs Work: Shot calling - sometimes I transitioned a bit early off a steel target (WORK THE VISUAL FOR WHAT YOU NEED). 1 activator sequence error - I overestimated the available time for a swinger causing me to burn some extra time.

Goals will be maintained for the next match. Didn't quite achieve what I was looking for. ADDING focusing on center of available A zone.

Fun little observations

1. A lot of paper targets I shot were mostly 2A or AC, very few D zone hits. Even though the match is more drag race than technical I was still USPSA minded for paper.
  2. A .40 Glock using factory 180 PF ammo will recoil and return like a 9mm Glock that is running 150 PF if the gun is left stock with no add-on parts. I noticed previously that I was returning a few degrees high with a magwell that has a 2 oz brass plug and no added weight at the muzzle end. Groups were also tighter.

Accidental mag flip at the end for completely missing the magnet pouch.

Edited by TheChewycookie

12/20/20

CTASA USPSA: https://practiscore.com/results/new/fe27eb66-a70b-4e55-b906-e04e3d9d3855?q_division=2&q_individual=0

1st Limited 11th Overall

17.94 seconds to 2nd Limited

70A 31C 12D 8M(!)

Goals to achieve since last match: Aggressive transitions, rehearsal of footsteps and the transfer to shooting the stage, add focusing on center of available A zone (I tossed this goal out to focus a bit more on footstep rehearsal and aggressive transitions)

• Good: Aggression all around -  Had aggressive movement around the stage, as well as transitions. Gun manipulations - Reloads and draws went exactly how I saw them with my mind's eye (save for one mag insertion that I had to tap-rack), Transfer of footwork rehearsal to shooting the stage - movement went mostly how I had envisioned each stage; could have refined some parts but I'm mostly happy where I'm at.
  • Okay: Activator confidence - I thought there was a bit less time but there was plenty for a slow swinger to hit an IPSC mini-popper (move eyes faster to engage sooner). Center focus on available A zone - had some moments when vision would drift and I would end up with A far C or D, or 2C.
  • Needs Work: Visual patience of an exit target - had several targets that I left early on OR shot a bit early and didn't realize it. Need to work on confirming sight picture as the shot breaks.

Goals mostly achieved: For NOW I'll continue focusing on faster movement around the stage, ignoring what hits I make on targets. I'm currently looking for more speed and make the accuracy catch up soon when the next shooting season starts with Carry Optics. I've been a turtle for the past 2 years and I think a change in shooting mindset will help achieve a much higher level of performance sooner.

Additional notes: There's something satisfying and hilarious knowing that even though you zero'd a classifier, albeit somewhat on purpose after wasting time on a popper, and knowing exactly what you did wrong and how to fix it. (5M on the classifier that I mentally confirmed and laughed after finishing the stage, 0% CM 20-01).

12/26/20 

Shotgun - Sporting Clays at Elm Fork shooting range in Dallas- NOT A COMPETITION, sort of

50 out of 100

Things I learned: It's a lot more fun and frustrating than trap or skeet. I need to work on tracking a moving target and predicting where it will be. May influence helping with stuff like bobbers, swingers, clamshells, and other moving targets.

Collin County USPSA 12/27/20: https://practiscore.com/results/new/d0b7abf2-9250-46f3-adad-78a54ed99dda?q_individual=0&q_division=4

5th PCC 31st Overall

~11 seconds to 1st PCC

87A 26C 6D 6M 2NS (!)

Goals to achieve since last match: None, mess around with an MP5.

• Good: Trigger speed - I think I had an appreciable trigger speed for PCC considering this was the first time I ran this gun, it's heavy but still a manageable trigger.
  • Okay: Stayed low for the most part - still having some tendencies to stand like a tall person. Gun manipulation - Need to understand the magazine manipulation and mini-issues for guns I don't yet fully understand
  • Needs Work: Rushing - I wanted to match or have a better time than most people, ended up pulling off targets early to move to the next one and missed. Setting a foot down as a shot breaks - could've been a hero on a plate rack while moving and some shots were influenced during a step.

Goals achieved ???: Didn't really set an appreciable goal.

Additional notes: MP5s aren't designed for tall people (I'm 6' 1" with a fairy long neck). Movement with a PCC really makes you realize how low you ideally want to be when taking targets on the move and the need to roll through the step to balance yourself. Whipping an 8~10 pound gun around also forces you to realize how the weight of the gun really makes you work for a transition or setup for a target.

Edited by TheChewycookie

NTXLF Practice Day: https://practiscore.com/results/new/98c07cb6-745d-44cb-b74c-129e732679c1?q_individual=mmShooter_3264562

Of the 4 stage runs that I bothered to shoot: 58A 31C 6D 1M

Limited Major: G35 - Vogel sights and that's it.

Goals: Get back up to speed on a pistol. Improve recoil control through grip. Establish baseline performance.

Good: Grip felt solid. Maintained aggression throughout stage runs.

Okay: Footwork - has a few areas I could improve but I was maybe 70% happy with how I rehearsed and placed my feet around the stage.

Needs Work: Stop milking the gun between positions. I want to focus a bit more center of A zone, especially since I plan on switching back to Carry Optics soon.

Goals achieved: Grip has been improved. Ideal mental baseline has been set for upcoming Dragon's Cup in April.

Additional notes: Not a match. PS was simply used to track scores and video is to see areas to improve on.

Edited by TheChewycookie

XMG USPSA 1/9/2021: https://practiscore.com/results/new/b2124a4e-381f-47fe-b166-d62570ab90a3?q_division=0&q_individual=mmShooter_3252028

93A 40C 4D 3M 2NS

2nd Carry Optics 4th Overall

Goals: Get back up to speed on Carry Optics and new SRO, test new GX kydex holster during full speed walkthroughs (it held really solidly, no worries of the gun popping out). Experiment with movement techniques and speed up vision.

Good: Grip felt solid. Maintained aggression throughout stage runs.

Okay: Stage Positioning, had to slightly backtrack a few places and do some uncomfortable leans but got to where I needed to. Stage flow was okay for the most part

Needs Work: Few areas of mental rushing (which was fine for a level 1 match, I was willing to break a stage if I could see what was wrong and noticed I had a few pre-ignition flinches)

Goals achieved: Up to speed with Carry Optics. Ideal mental baseline has been set again for upcoming Dragon's Cup in April.

Additional notes: Classifier did not count for classification as several targets were out of place. Had an interesting moment on 1 stage where the grip might not have necessarily felt ideal, then locked in and had solid recoil control for 3 final targets. Really liking the 15 yard zero for guns with dots. Enjoy the little blooper at the end of the video.

3 hours ago, rowdyb said:

my boy CK on the timer. Looks good! Jealous.

Thanks Rowdy. Really thankful that the matches up here are still open.

CK has been making his own gains as well. He's was messing around with an HK45 through the offseason and it ended up paying off for him similar to how I switched divisions during the same time period. I personally found that playing with .40 major helped to improve areas of grip and elbow angles I wasn't sure how to address. Ended up proving to be a fun 2 month experiment.

...just need to work on not being fat

Edited by TheChewycookie

CTASA USPSA 1/17/2021: https://practiscore.com/results/new/6fdbaf23-e6ca-4e73-91d5-3c7f7d5ac2ef?q_division=1&q_individual=mmShooter_3277526

76A 33C 7D 1 NPM 12M 2NS 

14/20 Carry Optics

Goals: Go crazy, run at 100% and observe issues when running over reasonable pace/vision.

No "good, okay, needs work" this match. Only observations of issues during stage runs when going past mental capacity.

Observations: I have a tendency to look off the target early, not look at the center of the A zone, or shoot at the contact of a step.

Additional notes: This was a ridiculously fun way to observe what issues I had. I am happy with current speed and pace. Classifier doesn't count due to wrong size popper (should've been minis).

Next goal: Next week at Collin County USPSA I intend only shooting at match pace with a focus on target points.

Edited by TheChewycookie

Steel match today due to rain the next day postponing the USPSA: "I sometimes hate myself"

7th overall, 2nd CO. 3 misses

Observations: I've picked up movement speed but need to work on patiently aligning the dot onto the target. Also need to fix shooting on the move as I have been breaking shots on the footstep. The video below is just 1 stage I bothered myself to take video since there were spots to shoot on the move. The Hunter's HD Gold Rx lens helps with depth perception and removes glare.

I'm sorta thankful I shot a steel match because I was not motivated for a USPSA match due to work. I'll come back motivated to shoot lights out next week on paper.

Collin County USPSA 1/31/2021: https://practiscore.com/results/new/4745e13d-278d-4c5b-8da4-f5ecad232af4?q_individual=mmShooter_3283225

110A 19C 3D 3M 1NS

5th Carry Optics (78.81% of local GM) 8th Overall (Same Carry Optics GM won the overall)

Goals: Slow down from 100% and go for current perceived 90-95% match pace, improve visual focus on center of A zone

Good: Overall good hits, and very few (if any) instances of shots taken on a footstep.

Okay: I can afford to speed up footwork again. Need to rehearse visual cues to speed up, slow down, shoot, etc. A lot of makeup shots were made, need to be more certain of fixation on A zones.

Needs Work: Shot confirmation. Need to improve grip on the draw and index to 1st target - had some shaky grips that needed to be fixed on the fly. 

Were goals achieved?: Mostly yes. I can bump the speed some more (~14 seconds overall behind match winner) and need to try to get more A's and be willing to accept a few more C's. I feel I may have been mentally operating at 85%.

Additional notes: Ate breakfast 2 hours before the match began which had a significant positive impact on emotions before the match started. However, I think I need to eat even earlier to have the feeling of my stomach being empty. Need to work on 1st stage nerves, especially if it happens to be the classifier (also need to start treating these like they're just another stage again). Maybe had one instance of double dot from facing the sun.

JCSSA USPSA 1/31/2021: https://practiscore.com/results/new/7cf77a50-c174-4b64-941f-027e54333f80?q_individual=mmShooter_3324594

73A 22C 3D 5M 2NS 1 FTSA Steel (around 1:35 in the video, stage plan execution failure even though it was planned, was still mentally messed up from the classifier)

5th Carry Optics (77.49%) 14th Overall (69.42%)

Goals: Push a little harder than the Collin County USPSA Match.

Good: Decent footwork. Mostly stuck to and executed stage plans how I designed them in my mind.

Needs Work: Finding efficiencies in stages. Tracking A zones - a decent amount of 2nd shots or pairs ended up as C's, some of which received a make up shot.

Were goals achieved?: LOL, no. Next weekend will be a practice session with mini-stages. Will experiment at 90-95% , 85%, and 100+% capabilities. Due to the current ammo situation I will be mixing in .22 to only work vision and only bring about 200 rounds of 9mm.

Additional notes: Was trying to treat all stages as stages to stop mentally chasing GM. Came up to my turn as I was trying to ignore everyone during making ready and a friend said "hope you hundo this" which ended up turning on the " oh **** this is a classifier" switch and I basically had Parkinson's shakes before and after the timer went off. I couldn't get myself to calm down. My friend immediately apologized after I shot the stage and promised to never do that again.

I also seem to lean sideways a lot when running distances without shooting. I'll try to be more upright or at least leaning slightly forward to have more stable posture entering a position.

Your shooting isn't what's holding you back. Heck, you're mechanically as sound as me, if not better (I don't say this just to make you feel better). Your biggest struggle and first obstacle to overcome is your mental game. In my opinion, working on mini stages for your next practice session is only delaying the great battle that you will one day have to fight. You have to train your mind to do what you want to do on demand.

I had the same exact struggles when I first started out. Classifiers used to be complete garbage compared to the rest of the stages. Then I realized I could shoot them "slowly" and it was easily M class. In reality, I was just shooting my pace but fooled my mind into believing I had the luxury of taking my time.

If you don't mind trying something, then I suggest not shooting live rounds until your next match. Sign up under Open so you literally have no pressure. Then attempt to shoot all Alphas and a clean match. No mikes, no NS, no procedurals, no Charlies. Give as much time as needed to get your Alphas. Observe the moments you feel the urge to rush. Realize that there's no point in rushing. Your objective is to score Alphas, nothing else. Do not check your score until you're done with the match. If you did this correctly, you'll feel like you shot like a turtle. If you got close to the objective, then you'll understand what I'm babbling about. The pressure to get through the whole match clean will intensify towards the end. Note what your mind is telling you during those moments. Tell it to shut the heck up and go back to your task of collecting Alphas. If you don't succeed, then do it again next match until your mind is clear and you did what you set out to do.

In the end, it's all about making up your own game that you play on autopliot. If the current rules make you nervous, then simply change the rules to something that doesn't. You can't outshoot your current skill level anyway, so might as well adjust your perspective to maximize your current performance.

Hope this helps, keep crushing Chewy.

2 hours ago, CClassForLife said:

Then I realized I could shoot them "slowly" and it was easily M class. In reality, I was just shooting my pace but fooled my mind into believing I had the luxury of taking my time.

I've certainly felt those moments before along with the autopilot when I was practically emotionless and consciously empty. I'm focusing on returning to that after realizing I've put too much emotional stock into the game again lately.

2 hours ago, CClassForLife said:

If you don't mind trying something, then I suggest not shooting live rounds until your next match. Sign up under Open so you literally have no pressure. Then attempt to shoot all Alphas and a clean match. No mikes, no NS, no procedurals, no Charlies. Give as much time as needed to get your Alphas. Observe the moments you feel the urge to rush. Realize that there's no point in rushing. Your objective is to score Alphas, nothing else. Do not check your score until you're done with the match. If you did this correctly, you'll feel like you shot like a turtle. If you got close to the objective, then you'll understand what I'm babbling about. The pressure to get through the whole match clean will intensify towards the end. Note what your mind is telling you during those moments. Tell it to shut the heck up and go back to your task of collecting Alphas. If you don't succeed, then do it again next match until your mind is clear and you did what you set out to do.

I've actually done this before, just needed a reminder to start doing it again. I dont feel pressure signing up in CO, it's just been my internal perception what a stage means thats been causing me to seize up. "Remember its a fun game"

Thanks for the tips Tony. 

Edited by TheChewycookie

• 2 weeks later...

Got the itch to live fire practice today due to the rain and ice storm in N TX.

Drills performed - doubles, practical accuracy, distance change-up, accelerator.

Issues noticed and fixed: strong arm starts to dip sometimes - made a conscious effort to keep that up for flatter and more predictable muzzle flip. Rushing vision - made conscious decision just to shoot speed of the dot resting and when it arrives in the A zone. Pre-ignition push - noticed during distance change-up when I would push shots into the no-shoot, resolved by removing tension from torso and only to shoot when dot hits the A zone. Tension in strong hand - relaxed strong hand grip especially in middle and ring fingers, also adjusted grip slightly higher with weak hand to prevent tension and crush feel in strong hand pinky which led to more consistent recoil.

In general: Be relaxed and allow recoil to freely happen

My shots <10 yards have been consistently A zone as long as I focus my vision. 15 yard shots have been tightening up to 90% As. 20-25 yard shots have closed to 85% As.

Next match will be specifically driven to shoot As, time be damned (I am almost at the overall time as the local GM which I will ignore for now) as I have been focusing too much on stage movement and not so much on gun manipulation and accuracy.

Edited by TheChewycookie

• 2 weeks later...

JCSSA USPSA 1/31/2021: https://practiscore.com/results/new/4d27aa51-7931-4489-8796-df6140db4407?q_individual=mmShooter_3345640

92A 42C 5D 2M

6th Carry Optics (79.23%) 16th overall (78.95%)

~11 seconds behind winner.

Goals: Just work for my own points. Ignore everyone even if they have a better stage plan.

Good: MAIN FOCUS for this match: Grip was solid after having done a few practice sessions of just having a solid grip (data was gathered doing doubles and Bill drills to  measure how much controllable muzzle flip I could reduce). 

Okay: Vision - Had a number of instances where I would look off the target leading to shots out in the C-D zones or off a popper (had a partial hard cover at 3 yards with AM), may need to focus even a tenth more just to make sure I hit As. Target transition/changing gears (distances) 

Needs Work: Stage efficiencies. Tracking A zones - large number for AC hits on targets.

Were goals achieved?: Mostly. I was pretty happy with most of the things I did, small experiments were conducted just to see what the time difference was with another M class shooter.

Additional notes: Did not care about what anyone else did. Just focused on my own match.

XMG USPSA 3/3/2021: https://practiscore.com/results/new/1e1f246a-60fe-4b3e-8aca-2e71fa629b5b?q_individual=mmShooter_3378610

94A 28C 3D 2M 1NS(miss)

3rd Carry Optics (96.32%) behind Luigi Li (lil_bunny_fufu) who dunked on everyone drawing from appendix. 9th overall (84.92%)

Goals: Just work for my own points. Chase A's.

Good: Went for accuracy - got mostly there. Movement speed was mostly on point.

Okay: Vision - had a few instances of wandering off the center of target.

Needs Work: Pockets of mental focus that wander - don't think, just shoot.

Were goals achieved?: Yes, just focus a bit more on vision and try to avoid pre-ignition push.

Match Video: