Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Chewy's training diary

TheChewycookie

ETRPC USPSA 1/29/22
https://practiscore.com/results/new/dbb0c3a2-a42e-4081-a47b-130de2bf9b35?q_individual=e362c4b8-0dbf-46d1-aa20-1981ce83ef00

Had an opportunity to compete against Dazhi as a start of the year benchmark of current skill and a month off from shooting. Ended up 2nd CO and 3rd combined: 84.4% and 84.87% respectively. 

Good things: Not panicking after some kind of slip, times are close to a top level shooter, stage plans mostly execute to original program

Things to improve: Knowing when too much is too much (leans kill time), knowing when to pull back a bit for match score safety and pushing when it's definitely possible. Sights should be lined up with A zone and make sure to not move before finishing engagement of a target: shot a tux target with 2 in left side hardcover.

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

23 minutes ago, Reds_Dot said:

I am loving your progress. I can't wait to see where you take this.

I need to take a class on reloads from you. 🤯

Thanks man.

Reloads: I think about Rob Epifania's rubber band method. Snap to mag, have enough control getting the mag in the gun. Watch Travis Tomasie's reload vid from when he was in the AMU. If you follow closely it's different movements, but a very similar process.

3 hours ago, Halen said:

I appreciate you posting the videos, something I need to continue working on heading into my first season of USPSA.

Thanks for the kind words. Good luck and most importantly, HAVE FUN.

@Reds_Dotand @CClassForLife are in your general area and are excellent sources to help you get a kickstart. @rowdyb is in the San Antonio area and another great source of info.

19 hours ago, TheChewycookie said:

Thanks for the kind words. Good luck and most importantly, HAVE FUN.

@Reds_Dotand @CClassForLife are in your general area and are excellent sources to help you get a kickstart. @rowdyb is in the San Antonio area and another great source of info.

Much appreciated. I actually connected with @CClassForLife a little over a month ago. Weather has been a bit bonkers in Austin, so we've not been able to connect at the range since we first met.

2 hours ago, Halen said:

Much appreciated. I actually connected with @CClassForLife a little over a month ago. Weather has been a bit bonkers in Austin, so we've not been able to connect at the range since we first met.

Feel free to come say "Hi" or even squad-up if you see me signed up for a match. I shoot matches as far South as San Antonio and as far North as Temple. Welcome and enjoy the ride.

21 hours ago, Reds_Dot said:

Feel free to come say "Hi" or even squad-up if you see me signed up for a match. I shoot matches as far South as San Antonio and as far North as Temple. Welcome and enjoy the ride.

Awesome man, very much appreciated. Are you by chance shooting the Temple Match tomorrow? I'm signed up and in squad 4. Hit me up if you'll be there.

• 3 weeks later...

Hit a mental speed curve in shooting and movement, time to bring target accuracy back up. Also, I'll be taking a Ray Ray Jacuzzi class these next 2 days. 

Recent recurring issues: I'm tensing up and causing shots to go a bit wild, and not quite positionally moving at a speed that my shooting can keep up with. I can also afford to squat a bit closer to the ground. Video starts on stage 6.

https://practiscore.com/results/new/52b664f0-3499-44a1-ba8b-579ba26404e8?q_individual=mmShooter_4162524

Edited by TheChewycookie

3 hours ago, Iamdat said:

Are you calling these wild shots or do you feel like you're just along for the ride?

Also, raw time champ ftw

I've been having pockets of weekends when it wasn't practical to train and make better observations to transfer to a match, so while not necessarily wild it was to observe current issues.

Also, I was behind Dazhi by 8 seconds. Easily identifiable by less efficient stage plans or correctly shooting everything the first time.

Local match after Ray Ray Jacuzzi class: had reshoot central, brought 254 rounds and shot exactly 200 😅.

https://practiscore.com/results/new/755ab57c-e44c-4a84-a377-546887f64e27?q_individual=mmShooter_4213916

Point of this match was to put into practice the things learned from JJ's field course class and it's mostly developed well. Main weakness is still transitions (working on the bump as taught by JJ). Movement has significantly improved after receiving some direction and can be explored further. Tightened up the majority of hits.

Takeaway: If you have fundamentals at least most of the way there and some confidence in movement, the JJ class is very worth the money. It's not rooted in drills but in exploring possibilities and efficiencies with different field courses.

Well it seemed like your re-shoots actually went better. There was a bunch more movement while shooting which is great to see. That Ray Ray Jacuzzi class definitely had a positive effect. I am enjoying seeing your improvement homie. 

3 hours ago, Reds_Dot said:

Well it seemed like your re-shoots actually went better. There was a bunch more movement while shooting which is great to see. That Ray Ray Jacuzzi class definitely had a positive effect. I am enjoying seeing your improvement homie. 

The re-shoots definitely let me refine my movements a lot more and pick the spot on targets that I needed. I'm starting to see why JJ likes re-shoots so much for that second opportunity to do better in whatever you wanted.

• 1 month later...
On 4/11/2022 at 9:58 AM, TheChewycookie said:

Update of things in general to work on: risk management: transitions, 90-10, emotional focus and clarity, knees over toes, upper body posture

Dumb trick that helped me with keeping a more "athletic stance" and keeping my knees over my toes: Stick out your butt. Like "throwin' it back at the club" as the kids would say. 😄

You want to move your chest over your toes. For me it's easier to initiate that with an anterior pelvic tilt (sticking my butt out) but then keeping my back straight which shifts my weight over my mid-sole/toes.

Right now, you tend to bend your knees and "sit down" like you are doing a good dead-lift (which is a VERY good thing for your back if you are doing dead-lifts) but it puts your weight all on your heels which means it's harder to push from position to position.

Posture.jpg

Edited by Reds_Dot
Added Picture for embarassment sake.

TX State Open Results: https://practiscore.com/results/new/3e960cd0-bbcc-40d1-ba65-be2df55e5118?q_division=1&q_individual=mmShooter_3983863

9th Carry Optics overall at 91.53% of the winner (Alex Acosta), Carry Optics raw time champ (because that's what matters 😈)

Things I liked about myself: Stayed super aggressive, most times were up with the top performers in carry optics. Most shots on static paper targets were exactly where I was looking

Things I want to improve: Shots that are typically sketchy for me such as swingers and hard target entries need to be more stable or confident. Better called shots on steel

Equipment change I did differently from most of my previous matches: I chose to use 150gr Syntech for this match. I used a few weekends to get used to the ammo and thankfully didn't have to change my dials, just needed to understand the elevation change to about 15 yards for my zero as opposed to 25 yards with my handloaded 125gr. Just simply felt a different recoil impulse. Super reliable and consistent ammo. 

Things to work on after Double Tap Championship this coming weekend leading up to Dragons Cup: Body stability and footwork.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Sweaty day. No real practice between Dragons Cup and OK Sectional due to work and family obligations. Couldn't really focus with dehydration, sun burning, etc.

Need better focus in the A zone of paper and being confident and ready to slap a popper on the first shot. 

• 1 month later...

Coaching observations of newer shooters or people that don't experiment as much with grip.

Context: Some friends in the Ft. Worth area wanted to shoot and needed my help getting off the ground with fundamentals. Friends are new gun owner and another looking to buy one soon. Both wanted them for self defense purposes but considering gaming. 

People can fairly easily understand the crush with support hand grip without and snug up with shooting hand. What they don't immediately understand is how hand and elbow placement significantly affects direction of recoil movement as well as pulling the trigger. They had elbows that pointed upwards and covered strong hand knuckles with support hand fingers. Helping them change the spots they hand fingers and changing elbow angles strongly helped improve recoil control and confidence for follow up shots. Fixing milking the gun and stance is the next thing I'm planning to help them out.

• 2 months later...

A lot has happened. I've had some improvements, but there's always something to improve which is mentality and mindset. I've had a bunch of setbacks in training late summer and early fall due to getting busy with work.

Below are videos of recent matches. Please enjoy, and toss your mags in a safe direction.