Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Keep/Sell 550 as 2nd press?

Seif26

Noob question #1 for me today - 

Several years ago I got a 550C kit in a trade and never got around to setting the press up and actually reloading.  Ammo prices were so cheap it didn't make financial sense and real life (new job, new marriage) was getting in the way of shooting anyway.  Fast forward to this July and with the intent of becoming more self reliant a longtime reloader I know through a family connection recommended a LGS for accessories, powders, primers, etc and they have been great.  They spent several hours on my press walking me through setup of the toolheads, dies and loading a few rounds in 3 different calibers (9, 556, 308)

Before I installed the 550C back at home I took a 750XL in trade thinking I would use that for 9/556 and then the 550C for 308.  Assuming 3gun gets back to normal next year around me the bulk of my reloading will be 9/556 for 3gun/USPSA with 308 just for long range if/when I ever get out to the very few ranges we have in MI that are 600+ yards.

I am not a precision shooter and I really only shoot 3gun/USPSA for fun and to keep some level of proficiency shooting.  I think the 550C would be enough 'precision' for me and I could load 308 and maybe 556 target loads on that without issue.  The only thing I would consider would be transferring everything that I can from the 550C to the 750XL, selling the 550C and putting that money into a single stage with hopefully a little left over.  

So.....  if the single stage was the same price I wouldn't consider selling the 550C as the potential improvement in precision isn't worth it for me.

If I could do everything on the single I could on the 550C (slower...) and I could get a few hundred dollars back to be used for primers, bullets, brass would I regret it in the future?  I guess my long winded question would be does the 550C have several hundred dollars in value over a precision single stage for very limited use?  

I've bought, sold, and re-purchased the 550.  My bench also has a pair of automated 1050s and a 650. It would be the lass press to go if I had to downsize. The first to go would be the 650.

The conversions are cheap and the press is simple and reliable.  With the right tool head and/or careful die selection it can load full quality precision rounds for across the course shooting.

I also like the work flow when it's fully kitted out on a strong mount with bullet tray and empty cartridge bin.  My least favorite thing about the 550 is that my fingers get dirty and that the primer bar requires fine tuning on occasion.

The only reason I would sell it is because prices are high right now and you'll probably be able to buy it back cheaper in a year.

Edited by belus

Keep it. I was in the same situation awhile back.

I reload bulk and process brass on my 650.

Reload precision rifle, M1 ammo, hunting rifle ammo, and SD handgun ammo on 550.

The 550 is great as a single stage precision press.

I also use the 550 for load development. It’s much easier than trying to do it on the 650.

Bottom line is I still use my 550 all the time and I’m really glad I didn’t sell it.

I’ll probably add an 1100 to make it a trio at some point.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

It depends on what long range/Precision rifle means to you. If your plinking with 308 at 300 yds or closer and arent going for 1/8moa groups you can load 308 on the 650 plenty do. I was for a long time trying for that before i really dove into pistol and my idea of reloading for precision shifted. I started shooting more steel and 1 moa at 300 yds hits a 8" gong no problem. The same rifle could shoot 1/4" or better at 300 yds if I wanted to but that became less fun.  I still have my 550 if I ever shift back and still load 6.5 grendel and 308 on it. But if I ever pick up a 308 in semi I will switch it over to the 650.

the 550 is better if you want to develop loads or prime and powder off press. but so much slower than a 650 or bigger with a cf/bf

This is great feedback and why I really do love this site even though I have been absent for some time.

For me precision is being able to hit the 1000yd silhouette targets at MTC if I can call the wind correct.  1 MOA should be more than enough and I am confident the 308 semi I have for longer range shooting can do that.  

I will keep the 550C, install both and get to reloading.

Thanks again!

I would vote to keep the 550 but belus has a point re: selling high right now and buying back later on if your needs change.  Think about how many people had no interest in reloading, now suddenly do and depending on the election they may be dumping all of that stuff in a year.  Reloading is work and some of those people will choose not to continue that work in the future.

So if money is tight now or could be better applied to components (hopefully at somewhat reasonable prices), sell high and try to buy low in the future.  As for precision, the 550 or the 750 will load as precise as you can, several world class long range shooters like John Whidden use Dillon progressives (he used the 650 IIRC) to load very accurate ammo for long range precision competition.

This is great feedback and why I really do love this site even though I have been absent for some time.

For me precision is being able to hit the 1000yd silhouette targets at MTC if I can call the wind correct.  1 MOA should be more than enough and I am confident the 308 semi I have for longer range shooting can do that.  

I will keep the 550C, install both and get to reloading.

Thanks again!

I build 1000 yard sub MOA ammo for my semi custom savage 308 bolt gun without trying that hard on the 550.

I’m sure you can build 1/4-1/2 MOA ammo just as easily to shoot well past 1000. But at that point it’s more the gun and the shooter. Takes a considerable amount of money invested in both the firearm and ammo to shoot that precise and accurately out at those distances (And its probably not 308).

Anyway point being it’s not gonna be the press holding you back.

I’m still in the keep it camp.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

So I got into reloading this past year and was in the buy a 650/750 camp until doing some research and listening to the great people here.

Ended up deciding on a 550 and 1100 or Evo combo. Ended up with a 550 first as that is what came up for sale used first. Honestly it cranks out ammo faster than I thought and changeover is easy. I reload 9mm and 40 right now but getting set up to add 380, 223, and 300 BO in the near future. Conversions are cheap for the 550 and my higher level press I'll eventually get will be set up for 1 or 2 calibers only, probably 9mm and 223.

And I get the argument of selling now when prices are high but it's a flip of a coin where they end up in 3 months. Locally I've seen Armslist have 9mm for 50 cents per round and lately it's up to 80. Unless you can sell it for near used prices, I would just keep both presses.

• 4 weeks later...

I have two 550's (pistol cartridges)  and an old unconverted 450 (for .308's) and never saw a reason to upgrade to anything else. I wouldn't mind having another 550, that said, keep it, you'll likely be sorry if you sell it.