Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

9mm Open formula needed for PT Honcho

chgofirefighter

Due to the current shortage of supplies I’m not looking to waste powder, primers etc only if need be. I only use the following powders for open, Shooters World Major Pistol and Accurate #7 but I prefer #7 if anyone is using these two powders and have a load for the PT Honcho Open setup, please chime in. I appreciate the feedback!

My previous load data was being used for a different open gun (CK Arms) thats no longer being used, it was sold. 

Thanks in advance 

I don't shoot a Honcho.  My 2011 wears a Trubore barrel with custom comp cuts.  My load is 10.2gr SWMP under a 115 HAP @ 1.161" for 169PF with an SD of 5.9.  That is with the faster lot of SWMP.  AA7 should be the same.

If you have any of your previous loads left, chrono them and see what you get.  You are going to have to do some experimenting to get your load dialed in and the gun tuned to the load.

12 hours ago, zzt said:

I don't shoot a Honcho.  My 2011 wears a Trubore barrel with custom comp cuts.  My load is 10.2gr SWMP under a 115 HAP @ 1.161" for 169PF with an SD of 5.9.  That is with the faster lot of SWMP.  AA7 should be the same.

If you have any of your previous loads left, chrono them and see what you get.  You are going to have to do some experimenting to get your load dialed in and the gun tuned to the load.

Unfortunately I don't have any of my previous 9mm Major loads, just strictly 9mm Minor loads... I have a database that I can use to get me by but like I stated in my post due to current shortage supplies I'm trying to avoid waste or better said, at least minimize it... 

So load 10 rounds of your previous load, or ten of mine and go chrono.  Compare the results with those of your previous gun and you will know which way to go.  It's not rocket science.  If you know the PF of your minor load you can use ten of them to compare.  Any way you look at it, you want to know if your new barrel is faster, same as, or slower than your old.

On 9/7/2020 at 8:17 AM, zzt said:

So load 10 rounds of your previous load, or ten of mine and go chrono.  Compare the results with those of your previous gun and you will know which way to go.  It's not rocket science.  If you know the PF of your minor load you can use ten of them to compare.  Any way you look at it, you want to know if your new barrel is faster, same as, or slower than your old.

Thanks~  I know it's not rocket science 😉

• 2 months later...
On 9/8/2020 at 7:37 PM, Balakay said:

Honcho 9major

124g Montana Gold jhp 1.170”

SWMP 9.8 g Lot 514

cci srp 

172 pf at A6

Very interesting. I had issues with Lot 514. I have the same recipe as you (just swap out Everglades 124 JHPs for MGs) and I always am 170 ish PF (like you). I got two new jugs this summer and loaded them up and shot them (didn't really notice much of a difference) and then chrono'd before A7 and it was 100fps slower! I double checked with two other chronos and they said the same thing. Then I searched around and come to find ot Lot 514 was admittedly a slow batch (not by design) of powder by SW. They even admitted it. It stinks because I messaged them to simply exchange for different lots and they keep blowing me off months later. 

2 hours ago, JoeSoop said:

Very interesting. I had issues with Lot 514. I have the same recipe as you (just swap out Everglades 124 JHPs for MGs) and I always am 170 ish PF (like you). I got two new jugs this summer and loaded them up and shot them (didn't really notice much of a difference) and then chrono'd before A7 and it was 100fps slower! I double checked with two other chronos and they said the same thing. Then I searched around and come to find ot Lot 514 was admittedly a slow batch (not by design) of powder by SW. They even admitted it. It stinks because I messaged them to simply exchange for different lots and they keep blowing me off months later. 

If I recall, someone on the forum did a comparison of the various SWMP lot #s with respect to chrono. .  I ran out of 514 and started loading #115.  The 115 loads require 0.3g more in my gun to make the same PF

3 minutes ago, Balakay said:

If I recall, someone on the forum did a comparison of the various SWMP lot #s with respect to chrono. .  I ran out of 514 and started loading #115.  The 115 loads require 0.3g more in my gun to make the same PF

Thanks for the input. I don't recall having any of the Lot 115, but my last jugs were "41 - something" can't read the last digit and 9.8 grains gave me like 1370-1380 fps (~170+ pf) and the Lot 514 gave me only 1250-1270 FPS! Anyway, I guess different lots are all over the place. I love it for open, but something like WAC meters the same and has the same PF jug after jug. Not sure what to do. I need like 10.3 grains to make PF withy lot 514! That is a lot of powder.