Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Metal Glock Mag Tubes...

cautery

Yeah, I know folks say metal and plastic don't go together, but...

I don't see why someone hasn't made a metal Glock mag tube yet... I know you could design the mag catch step on the tube such that it wouldn't wear the mag catch down...

And with all that polymer eliminated, the tube could be fatter/longer, thus allowing for longer rounds in the mad and more importantly, you might gain an extra round or two...

Actually there are some metal mags out there for the Glock, the USA and Triple K come to mind. Unfortunately, no one has made them with an eye towards IPSC/USPSA competition and those two examples are not highly recommended, to say the least. The factory mag catch takes a beating from a metal mag and replacing it with a metal catch means you beat up the factory mags. You're right that someone could design the mag catch step properly to where the mag catch would not get beat up. What I'd like to see in the meantime is someone like Sherer do standard plastic/metal 140mm and 170mm tubes for limited and open competition.

Not sure how I'd want the mag catch thing to work on a metal mag, maybe a groove or step running the length of the right front with a plastic block pinned on at the right spot to hold the mag in place?

My 2 cents,

John

I would buy some in a heart beat. Metal tubes and plastic frames seem to work well for STI. All one would need is a steel mag release.

I dont know if anyone could make the tubes and put the components together as cheap as what you can get a factory Glock mag for.

I would buy some in a heart beat. Metal tubes and plastic frames seem to work well for STI. All one would need is a steel mag release.

I dont know if anyone could make the tubes and put the components together as cheap as what you can get a factory Glock mag for.

Of course not... :) That's no the point. The point is to get metal tubes that don't take up all the extra room that the polymer coating does on the factory tubes... Oh, and BTW... I suspect that other than the mag catch... metal on plastic would be slicker than plastic on plastic...

Although if they went to full 140's (141.25mm) magazines I bet they could do it for less than it costs now for a factory mag + the stuff that is used to get it ready for Limited. A 140ish basepad and spring kit is about $35 from Dawson/Taylor. That's a lot of headroom.

Edited by vincent

It would be interesting to see how many rounds a 141.25mm Glock .40 magazine would hold if it was made of metal with no polymer coating and was built in such a way that a locking plate was not needed. Currently 20+1 is very do-able in .40 - would a redesign add 1 more round or more? What do you think?

It would be interesting to see how many rounds a 141.25mm Glock .40 magazine would hold if it was made of metal with no polymer coating and was built in such a way that a locking plate was not needed. Currently 20+1 is very do-able in .40 - would a redesign add 1 more round or more? What do you think?

I dont think so If you take a look at STI mags in 40 and 9 they have ever increasing groves roled down the side that are the right size for the roll of rounds in the magazine.

If you take a stack of rounds and push them up they must roll up the mag. into position.

they must not get out of 45 degre in relation to the next case or they will bind on each other and major mag faliure happens. take a look at the inside of the glock mag and they have spacer rolls in the metal liner in 9mm .so increasing round count is out but steel on plastic would be slick. As far as a tru 170 one needs only to look at taylor pads or take a hard look at the g18 big stick 29 + 1 is a reality in 9 mm

take a hard look at the g18 big stick 29 + 1 is a reality in 9 mm
Isn't the 33 rnd G18 mag FFFARRR longer than 170mm?

You're talking to a dude that's cut the crap outta Glocks.... Cut a tube, remove the plastic, bend the metal interior out so you have something to attach a basepad to, throw on a basepad, and if you've cut it to the right length you should get what John's talking about. ;)

BTW, it should be a hell of a lot harder than I made it sound. :D

Oh, and the standard 31-rd G18 mag is around 200mm.

I've accidently put 21 rounds in one of my 40/140 mags [Arredondo] several times. I don't to shoot it that way so I make sure it goes back to 20.

Also have a 9mm/170 mag that holds 29 rounds with no problems at all. It's on a different thread in the Glock area.

Masad Ayoob did an article that suckered me into buying an S&W smegma back about ten years ago. Hey, I was reeeeaaalllly new. Anyway, point was he focused on what shooters changed about their Glocks, and said most grabbed metal mags and a metal mag release, and that S&W had wisely done this for you.

he failed to mention the mag catch that NEVER releases, the trigger WORSE than a Glock's and the ejector tuned to throw brass at your eye....but other than that the smegma was easily 20-30% as good a gun as a GLock. :P

You're talking to a dude that's cut the crap outta Glocks.... Cut a tube, remove the plastic, bend the metal interior out so you have something to attach a basepad to, throw on a basepad, and if you've cut it to the right length you should get what John's talking about.

BTW, it should be a hell of a lot harder than I made it sound.

Kewl!! :D

They weld Caspians. Why not cut, melt, weld, melt and glue a Glock mag? :blink:

Maybe I better get me one of those to experiment with from Midway while they are on sale.

You're talking to a dude that's cut the crap outta Glocks.... Cut a tube, remove the plastic, bend the metal interior out so you have something to attach a basepad to, throw on a basepad, and if you've cut it to the right length you should get what John's talking about.

BTW, it should be a hell of a lot harder than I made it sound.

Kewl!! :D

They weld Caspians. Why not cut, melt, weld, melt and glue a Glock mag? :blink:

Maybe I better get me one of those to experiment with from Midway while they are on sale.

Take a close look at me shooting my open gun on my site shows a good look at a 170 big stick stickin out of the gun.

Johnnie B)B)

Just noticed that the metal portion of the G-18 mag is exactly 170mm.

AHA said the wise man <_<

Johnnie