Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Do you check scores between days/runs of major matches?

matteekay

The year I shot Nationals in Vegas,, was a 3 day match.. I went out for 6 days.. arrived a day early,, shot for 3 days, then partied... Based on my results over 3 days,, lots of guys got there on first day,, shot then partied,, then shot, then partied... Cause I jumped high up in placements each day.  

• 4 months later...

I have completely screwed myself over out of major match wins by checking scores after each stage. It led me to try to make up 10 points to win the match and pushing too hard, when I believe I wouldve won if I just shot my own game.

That said, nowadays Im able to see scores and not let it affect me because I've truly started to understand that my best performances come when I shoot my own game, dont push, and let my sight picture do my shooting for me. I will look at scores in the evening, and i will sometimes glance at general hit factors for stages that Im about to shoot to see how aggressive I can be on that stage. I still dont look at scores after I shoot a stage, because theres nothing I can do about that stage anymore. I dont even know what my time was for 80% of stages at majors, I just dont even pay attention. 

• 1 month later...

I like to look to see how "I" am doing. Clubs that sync from the LabCommander timers get the split time data included. From there I can judge my performance with split times and time to first shot, transition times, etc.  The analysis is always the same... Shoot A hits faster!

• 1 month later...

Checking scores has never brought anything positive to my performance. Some people may find some kind of motivation and extra focus but for me it just puts unnecessary pressure on me and shifts my focus from what I need to be focusing on. It gets to be about the end result (numbers and medals) instead of the process and the steps I need to take in order to get there. If I do those steps correctly, I'll shoot to my best level so that's where I need my mind to be, not in someone else's numbers.

Edited by JonasAberg

I remember going to Vegas nationals,, I checked my scores each day... If I had another day woulda done better.. My scores shot up each day.... Pretty obvious who partied hardy and were hungover and dehydrated on day 2 and 3. It wasnt excessive hot, but I think alot of people underestimated the dry air and dehydration effect.. I arrived a day early and stayed 2 days over... Had a blast by the way.. was sad to see it move away from Vegas.