Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

How To Unscrew The Stick Thingie

Rikarin

So, I heard you guys and bought Lee's size-die and having a good result. I have to nudge the case into the die with finger 1 in every 5 or so and it is much heavier to operate. But rejection rate is so minimal and I think its worth.

I have bunches of cases I pulled bullets out. You see, primers are in them. I wanted to pull the primer pushing stick thingy out of the die. But this thing is like lock-tight!

so I thought I might be doing something wrong... all I have to do is loose (counter clockwise) the smaller bolt on to of the die right???? Argh. I don't have vice :(

Rikarin, leave the die in the tool head. The body of the die(the larger part) has two flats on it, one on each side. Use a crecent wrench and hold the body with it. Use a open end wrench( I think its a 1/2 in and loosen the nut that holds the decap pin, just loosen, dont remove the nut. Grab the pin with a pair of pliars and pull the decap pin up until it is about 3/4 of an inch out of the die. You can now resize the primed cases. When you are done, just push the pin back down and tighten the nut.-----Larry ( the decap pin is the stick looking primer pushing thing).

Edited by lkytx

How come I understand what you're saying??? (stick thingies, metal thingies, round thingies...)

FWIW, I have a Lee resize/crimp (?) die at the last stage. I was having feeding issues because my cases had fat butts (fat heads?) Anyhow, it works really well!!!... and I could put loaded "fat" bullets in the press and resize them.

ummm... not sure if that really helps you at this point though...

:lol:

How come I understand what you're saying???  (stick thingies, metal thingies, round thingies...)

Cause you're a girl... ;) "Stickie-uppies" is a favorite of my wife's (describing the 3' tall plastic reflector 'thingies' you see on the road in some areas...)

FWIW, I have a Lee resize/crimp (?) die at the last stage.

The Lee Factory Crimp Die :)

We're talkin' girl talk here. It's the Lee Die Thingie... but different than Rikarin's 'cause hers is first and mine is last... and mine doesn't have the stick thingie in it. :P

We're talkin' girl talk here.  It's the Lee Die Thingie... but different than Rikarin's 'cause hers is first and mine is last... and mine doesn't have the stick thingie in it.  :P

Right... yours has the squeezie thingy and the choker thingy.... heh heh... The one right before it has the "pokey downie" thingy. :P

The one right before it has the "pokey downie" thingy. :P

Ugh! A man would come up with "pokey"... :rolleyes:

It's the shmush down thingie... sheesh! You're talented enough to understand girl talk... but you sure can't speak it!!!

edited to add: "squeezie and choker" are man-speak too.

Edited by Sharyn

The one right before it has the "pokey downie" thingy. :P

Ugh! A man would come up with "pokey"... :rolleyes:

Are you kidding? I'm not that creative. Another term of my wife's... must be a regional "girl talk dialect" thing... ;) Or maybe it's a subtle, subliminal hint of her's... hmmm.... :huh::huh::wacko::D

We're talkin' girl talk here. It's the Lee Die Thingie... but different than Rikarin's 'cause hers is first and mine is last... and mine doesn't have the stick thingie in it. :P

Hahahaha! I totally forget what it was called. :) But you boys understand too right??:D

Rrrrright. Exactly. Just loosen the nut.... but nothing can loosen that biaaatch!! I was using the that wrentch - you can swing left and right but only turns one direction - and wrenth itself almost broke or crecent wrenth stripps the flat part of the die itself. Lee must have poured locktight in it. hemph.!

Rikarin, leave the die in the tool head. The body of the die(the larger part) has two flats on it, one on each side. Use a crecent wrench and hold the body with it. Use a open end wrench( I think its a 1/2 in and loosen the nut that holds the decap pin, just loosen, dont remove the nut. Grab the pin with a pair of pliars and pull the decap pin up until it is about 3/4 of an inch out of the die. You can now resize the primed cases. When you are done, just push the pin back down and tighten the nut.-----Larry    ( the decap pin is the stick looking primer pushing thing).

Rrrrright. Exactly.  Just loosen the nut.... but nothing can loosen that biaaatch!!

The one in my U-die is pretty damn tight, too. You were using a ratchet :) The decapper in my Dillon die was damn tight, too (AustinMike can attest to that...). Seems like what works best is an open end wrench for the die body, and a closed end wrench to fit the top of the decap stem. That's the most solid arrangement - adjustables always seem to loose on me, or something. Then, it probably takes some grunt... try to position the wrenches so that you can kind of hold the one on the die body still, and push hard away from you on the other wrench with your right hand. It'd be easier to demonstrate, probably, but....

If that fails, a longer wrench (more leverage) might help. Or, find your local "gorilla guy" and sweet talk him :)

Another term of my wife's... must be a regional "girl talk dialect" thing...  Or maybe it's a subtle, subliminal hint of her's... hmmm....

Either way... LISTEN TO HER! :lol:

Rrrrright. Exactly.  Just loosen the nut.... but nothing can loosen that biaaatch!!

Rikarin, if I were in CA, I'd come over and help you (you hold one wrench, I'll hold the other, and we turn in opposite directions... Or, you hold the wrenches while I hit it with a hammer... Maybe nail polish remover will help loosen it??? :D )... but it sounds like you're going to have to enlist some man power. Kinda like the lid on the pickle jar...

Good luck!

:D

Lee must have poured locktight in it. hemph.!

FYI, Locktite can be "loosened" with heat. I've had good results by holding the offending part under a heat gun (man talk for hair-dryer) and then giving it a crank. Try giving this a try before you strip it out anymore.

Hello Rika,

The body of the Lee die is 3/4 inch and the nut is 1/2 inch. The best and safest way to loosen or tighten them is by positioning the wrenches so you squeeze the wrenches together with your hand. No chance of busted knuckles because the wrench slipped off or the nut loosened suddenly.

See the attached photo

post-1467-1129780679_thumb.jpg

Well .. just take the die out while you are loading your pulled down cases. They dont need resizing, they are already sized. Take that die out, and load as per usual with no primers in the tube. It should feel really smooth and fast. If you are carefull when you take out the die you should even be able to replace it without having to reset its postion. This is one area where I think the Hornady/Lee lock and load colars are a brilliant idea, even if you combine them with a tool head. Dillon, are you listening?

I've done the very same when I loaded 400 rounds and then I became certain that I had a double charge in ONE round because of something I did. But they where all in one pile so I had to pull them ALL. I wore out 2 bloody collets in my pull hammer.

Thank you Sharyn. Exaaaaactly. I need man power here. When men are most useful! :D :D

but it sounds like you're going to have to enlist some man power.  Kinda like the lid on the pickle jar...

Hmmm, NOW I have good reason to go to Bay Brdige Charity match this weekend... I heard a lot of young Marines are helping things out.. !!!! Talk about muscles.

Ok, I have to go buy that open end wrench and close end wrench (I have so many manly tools already was trying to avoid it. :( ) and bring to the match with die. I can found lots of manly men there even no Marines, no??? :D

VLAD: thought so but many of the cases were shot by Glock and sized by Dillon. Goppies they are and need to resize by Lee...

VLAD: thought so but many of the cases were shot by Glock and sized by Dillon.  Goppies they are and need to resize by Lee...

Ahh That makes sense then. I misunderstood the situation and thought that you loaded them with the Lee die in the first place. Then your solution is the application of sufficient force. Buy some pizza for some young men and sit back and watch.

• 4 weeks later...