Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Getting New Shooters Involved...

As the saying goes "if you're not growing, you're dying"...along that line we need a continuous influx of new shooters to keep the various practical action shooting sports alive.

I am curious what organizations like USPSA, etc do to attract new people to shooting competitively and how they keep them involved.

In trying to get new people involved in shooting competitively, the most common responses I hear as to why they don't want to participate are;

1) They think they don't have the "right" equipment

2) They are intimidated by the rules or procedures of the competition

3) Having seen various exceptional shooters compete, they feel as if they aren't "good enough" to even be on the range.

Something we started doing is putting on monthly Intro to Multigun classes for free at our shop. We cover safety rules, range procedures, what to expect when attending a match, and how to prepare yourself and your equipment. We emphasize that shooting competitively is a good way to test ones self and equipment, and continually impove skill at arms, only worry about doing their best, and not to worry about beating anyone except perhaps their friends for bragging rights.

Thus far all the classes we've put on have been full and 25% of the people who have attended the class, later went to a match. about 10-15% of the people who have attended the classes regularly attend local matches now.

If you're able to conduct similar classes in your area, it is probably a good idea...it removes a lot of the intimidation factor for new shooters that they would have just showing up to the range.

We have a similar idea on this end. We have a league where we not only just shoot stages, but we walk new shooters through the 4 rules of gun safety, the range commands and show them how to draw from the holster and do reloads. We are keeping a log of draw times, reload times, El Presidente times etc. It's fun sharing, but it also helps me work on basics that I always need work on.

We are getting good feedback and having fun and hopefully these people will be ready to go to a match and know what is going to happen and feel comfortable enough to compete and enjoy the shooting sports.

Glad that you are having so much success.

Rick

What I've always thought we needed was a formalized mentor program.

They way I see it working is kind of like this....

USPSA registers qualified mentors. Basically anybody with an RO cert or anybody who can present a shooting resume suggesting they know their way around a practical shooting match and provide a reference letter from an RO, Club President, Etc. USPSA could provide some online training classes to the Mentors to get everybody on the same page WRT working a prospective new shooter.

Anybody who's interested in getting involved in the sport can log in and provide some basic contact info. The "leads" would be forwarded to a Mentor that is geographicalyl near the Prospect. The Mentor will then contact the Prospect and speak or email with them to go over all the skill and gear "issues" with the idea of making an appointment to meet at a match. At the match they could meet up, the mentor can lead them trough the registration process and new shooter orientation, and then squad up with them and coach them through the match.

You could implement a program like this at a club level to recruit for just one club. Or you could take it one step higher and organize it to solicit prospects for USPSA, IDPA, 3-Gun, ICORE, Steel Chalange, Trap/Skeet/Sporting Clays, High Power, etc.

Once upon a time not all that long ago, I know some guys on this board were working on a business card that you could put the USPSA website on and match contact info and hand out to prospective shooters. I took a short break from the board shortly after that thread started.

Did that idea ever come to completion? Where can I download the business card template?

Thanks,

Rick

As with most, I'm guilty of being intimidated. I'd have never come out to a match on my own. After that, the biggest hurdle has been specifically which equipment to purchase.

I know, everybody is going to say "it doesn't matter" and "just use what you have in your closet" and "don't buy anything until you're sure you're going to like the game, etc, etc, etc". Heard it a zillion times.

And yes, I understand the perspective.

But once we get past that, and realize nothing in the current arsenal is really suited well to the task at hand, it would be great to have some specific recommendations. What works, what doesn't work. Why. Why. Why.

What's winning. What most people use, etc.

Perhaps its just my personality, but I have a hard time gathering specific equipment details during a match. Can't touch anything. Everybody is wearing hearing protection. People are shooting. Targets need to be taped and steel reset. Brassing. There's not a lot of time to sit and chat. And there's no telling if the random person you're chatting with is someone you should be taking advice from anyway.

It's hard enough telling my wife I just spent $1K on a new toy. Then telling her I have to buy a DIFFERENT $1K new toy because the other toy isn't actually what I needed after all.

Yes, given enough time and money, I'm sure it will all come together. I'd just like to learn from somebody ELSE'S mistakes.

I would like to say a huge, HUGE, thank you to Tom Freeman and Zak Smith. If they hadn't pushed, pulled, dragged, goaded and generally resorted to everything but calling me names (they might have even done that too), I'd have never made it out to a match.

Mike

Just some random thoughts and observations as a newbie with very limited exposure to the wide-world of IPSC / USPSA / 3-gun.

I bought a single-stack 1911 in .40 S&W, to compete in Limited-10 class. Thinking it would be an inexpensive way to get started, and then transition to an STI Edge Limited gun eventually.

Then I bought a single-stack 1911 in .38 Super, which happens to play nicely in IDPA ESP.

Then a single-stack 1911 in 9mm with our local Wednesday-night steel matches in mind.

None of these are particularly suited to USPSA 3-gun / Outlaw 3-gun.

In my own little perfect world, it would really be ideal if I could play all the games with a single (preferably 9mm) handgun without being at a (theoretical) disadvantage.

I wish someone had told me how "handy" it is to be able to reconfigure gear based on each particular stage. I'd have bought mag-pouches with Tek-Loks, velcro, etc. A bandoleer. Somehow I still keep having to dig into my pockets to find buckshot / slugs / birdshot.

I wish there were more venues for bolt-guns / precision rifle.

Pistol-caliber-carbines / subguns ROCK!

My Remington 1100CM is a little ammo-sensitive, but its never let me down. As I look around, probably 80-90% of people shoot Benelli's, so I'd have probably gone that route.

I don't know how the logistics would work, but I really do like the concept of pitting high-capacity low-power against low-capacity high-power (minor / major). It currently feels like there's no advantage to shooting major pistol / rifle. In fact, it's a disadvantage.

Just thinking of the rules were written such that it helped "level the playing field", perhaps more people would already have what they need to come and play. Either that, or make it easier for a newbie to figure out what to purchase from the start.

Mike

Edited by michael_aos

One note on equipment selection. I find the equipment surveys done at the nationals to be very helpful. Sponsored shooters always tout their current gun like they are suppose to do but they all could whip my rear with a kel-Tec if they so chosed to do so. So I prefer to hear what the average competitor is using.

Just some more thoughts from a beginner:

As a newbie, the "prizes for everybody" at big matches is appealing.

--

Here in Colorado Springs, we have a store with probably the largest gun selection in the state. They aren't even aware of what games are played locally, let alone what equipment is desirable.

--

I understand it's the "indian, not the arrow", but some "good / better / best" type lists would be useful. Or lists of equipment people are using, especially broken down by division / classification.

Sure, once you're a Grand Master, you can use a slingshot and win (equipment doesn't matter) but newbies are concerned about equipment. Might as well give us an answer.

--

Maybe try and squad the new shooters together?

--

Locally, we've had "Wednesday Night all steel" matches that brought out several new shooters. The thinking is it provides a relaxed environment and minimal equipment to get started. Also hoping this exposure will entice shooters to try other games as well, but I'm not sure it's actually working.

Mike

I used to be much more aggressive at asking people to come out and shoot a match or just to go out and practice, I've become more selective recently. Unless someone's eyes light up with that, "I have got to try that!" gleam, I don't push the issue.

Mike, the equipment stuff is covered well on this forum, all new shooters should be directed here. I was lucky to find this forum before my first match, very lucky to meet Ron and Sam from the forum at various matches. Having a mentor to leech off of is key.

The best way to get people is the same way drug dealers do it. Start small with plinking with a friend, work up to IPSC, they'll start reading Frontsight and try 3 gunning with borrowed equipment...next thing you know they have a $500/month habit and are jonesing for the next match! :lol:

But unless people have that, "This is cooler than hell!" attitude, they don't last, and I wouldn't bother them too much with trying.

Sam and Ron are the best at recruiting shooters. They have clubs where there are no people! Yet a town 10X the size of Shoshoni has exactly zero USPSA shooting. :(

I like your idea, Overkill. Most of remember our first match and how a lot of shooters overlooked you or didn't take the time to say hello.

I remember my first match, it was horrible. My shooting sucked and I found out I was not as good as I thought I was. It was a very humbling experience. The RO was not very pleasent and I felt like he did not want to take time with me because I was new. I was ready to go home half way through the match and I told myself that I would never come back. But that changed when one of the shooters saw I was down and spoke to me. He started giving me advice and cheered me up and I started to enjoy myself. I finished the match and the shooter sat down with me and explained the game and I told him I would come to the next match. Five years later and I am still here and the shooter that helped me out is still very helpful to me and I think of him as a good friend.

Because I remember how my first match went, I try to not let any new shooter experience that negativity that I felt that day. So a few guys at my local club have decided to take it upon ourselves to help the new shooters. We want to make sure they understand the rules but mainly to have fun and to come back. I look forward to having new shooters in my squad and I encourage them to come and help set up the match so they can see the whole process from start to finish and they can understand the game a little better.

Mentoring is definitely the way to go.

I like your idea, Overkill.

Thanks.

What I notice is that most of the new shooters you see at a match are recruited by an existing club member. The problem is each of us only are likely to know a handfull of possibles, and only a fraction of those possible will turn into regulars. This limits our ability to grow. Its very rare to have somebody just show up at a match on their own initiative. It is a pretty bold step to just watch an IPSC segment on OLN, read a little bit on the net, look up the local club, and pile out on saturday morning to shoot your first match. I've introduced 4 or 5 people to the sport and there are always long conversations in the week before the match to get them comfortable that they know what to bring, how to act, and what will be expected of them.

I think the trick to growth (at least to "new" growth in ways that is not already occuring) is to facilitate the introduction of the shooter that DOES NOT know somebody who plays the game.

Hi Mike,

IMO, there is a difference between the questions, "What do I need to come out and shoot my first few matches?" vs. "Now I want to 'get serious' about 3Gun-- what do I buy?"

The answer to the first IS that it essentially doesn't matter. Here's that segment of the reply I send back to CO guys asking for 3Gun info--

Best thing to do for your first match is to bring what you got, borrow whatever you need (we all have extra stuff and don't mind sharing), and concentrate on being safe.

Bring a reliable magazine-fed centerfire rifle with the equivalent of 3, 30-round mags (ie, or four 20 round mags). Bring a reliable centerfire pistol with about 35-rounds-worth of magazines (e.g. 4 10's, or two 17's). Bring a good holster and some way to carry the extra mags.

Bring a reliable shotgun with #7.5 shot and 10-15 slugs.

100 rounds each of pistol, rifle, and shotgun should be sufficient for a match. At Aurora, each match consists of 3 or 4 stages, each of which requires one or more of the guns. I bring a little extra just to be safe, in case I have to re-shoot a stage.

Once a guy has shot 3-4 matches, he will be acquianted with some of the shooters, and can kind of see what people are using. He will discover BE.com. He can get clarification, reasons, and good advice.

The reason we always tell people to "not buy stuff" right away is so they don't end up with that "wrong stuff", you talked about.

The most important thing is to get out there, not focus on gear.

Still being somewhat of a noob myself, I'll share how I got hooked on the 3gun crackpipe. I have a friend who got into it. He's a longtime IPSC shooter and has shot IDPA as well. The transition to 3gun for him was a very short step. He invited me out to my first match, told be just to bring what I had and have fun. So, I brought out the FAL, Mossy 500, and a 1911. I had a snowball's chance in a stove of winning anything and knew it going in. For me, it wasn't about winning, but doing my best and having a good time sending lead downrange. There were a couple guys in my squad who were experienced 3 gunners, and they gave me pointers on how to situate my gear, how to shoot a stage, how to count rounds, in short, they were great to have nearby. Since then, I've been to other matches where the squad members bearly spoke, those were not as fun, but the main thing for me was still the shooting.

With those thoughts in mind, invite those who are interested in shooting sports. Those with little interest will lose whatever interest they had when faced with a difficult stage.

Don't squad noobs together. They have a hard enough time figuring out all the ins and outs and protocols as it is. Better to have some guys with them who have experience and are willing to help noobs along. Remember, we all fired our first shots at sometime. Nobody is born a GM.

Maybe have a "new guys" meeting before the actual prematch shooters meeting. It could help get the noobs up to speed a bit faster.

Regardless of the noob's equipment, don't go telling them "you suck and need the latest geewhiz by golly AR". Help the guy run what he has. Let him make the equipment decisions later. (This is from personal experience. While I have competed in other shooting sports and am well aware of the AR, I don't like to follow the herd and being told my stuff is junk is a big turn off. I built my FAL, shoot and enjoy it, 3 gun is just another outlet. So what if the AR is capable of 1/4moa? Can you really hold that breathing hard with heart racing on a 8" A zone? Who cares? Not me, this isn't Camp Perry.)

Finally, if a noob has some sort of problem, don't be an a$$ and not let the guy reshoot nor borrow a weapon. It's not like there's a couple mil on the line. Remember, you were a noob once, treat others as you would like to have been treated when you were there.

But enough rambling, my 1100 barrel is too long, now where did I put that hacksaw?

...It's hard enough telling my wife I just spent $1K on a new toy. Then telling her I have to buy a DIFFERENT $1K new toy because the other toy isn't actually what I needed after all.

I have exact same problem :D...I just tell her to go buy something equivalent, works everytime :lol:

Glad you made it out to our last RM3G match - sorry you had to witness the AGC's ugly politics and met the sneaky range nazi (yes, I have no problem saying that publicly!) See you at the November match.

Hung

Don't squad noobs together. They have a hard enough time figuring out all the ins and outs and protocols as it is. Better to have some guys with them who have experience and are willing to help noobs along. Remember, we all fired our first shots at sometime.

OK, I agree. I just think it's easier not being the ONLY newbie on a squad.

Mike

I can agree with having a couple of noobs on a squad, just don't make it all new guys.

I think one thing that intimidates new guys is gear. When I tell friends and associates about my newfound addiction, they immediately assume that the weapons are all very expensive and beyond their reach. I have to explain that I'm shooting an FAL that I built from parts, a bone stock G21, and a second hand 1100. All of which comes in at less than some guys have in their mouse gun and one optic. I have no illusions about winning, rather, I'm all about having a good time and improving on the last score.

I shot IHMSA back in the day and the match atmosphere was always one of competition, but between friends willing to help each other. I've seen a simliar thing at most matches I've shot so far. I'm looking forward to Ft. Benning and seeing the big dawgs shoot.

jm951,

I also think that gear is a big deterant to new shooters. At my local club there are a couple of seasoned shooters that I have spoken with regarding what they say to new shooters. I overhead one at our last match telling a new shooter "Why don't you buy a real gun". The new guy was shooting a Glock 17. You could tell that he was disappointed and discouraged by what he just heard and I was too. After talking to the new shooter, he said that was all he could afford. I had to reassure him that the majority of the shooters you meet here are not like that. I was planning on shooting Open but changed my mind and shot my Glock 19 and had the new guy squad with me. At the end of the match, he thanked me for cheering him up and he said that he had a great time. Now the new guy is emailing me everyday looking for more info on this sport and he wants to ride with me to the next match that i shoot.

This is an example of how a few shooters can push away new shooters and "us" as seasoned shooters need to be reminded sometimes of what it felt like at our first match.