Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

610 troubles

Makicjf

Howdy,

I picked up a used 610 about 2 years ago.  Last summer, the trigger post sheared off.  I returned it to S&W, for a fee, they replaced the trigger post.  They also corrected the timing. This Sunday, after about 36 rounds, the trigger developed ( a familiar) hitch at the inception of the trigger stroke and began light striking.   This time, the hammer post has come loose.  The 610 is once again going to S&W.

What are some possible reasons for shearing both the trigger and hammer post?  I've done the same internal polish job on my 625 JM,  625 5 inch,  627 pro, 627 pc, M&P 8 and Taurus snubby. 10k rounds easily through the JM and 627 pro and no issues.  I've fired fewer than 1k ( about 50% 175 pf 40 S&W) through the 610 and its broken twice.   Should I be concerned about the metallurgy of the 610?

Jason

One of the main things that contributes to these breaking off is dry firing the gun with the sideplate off, and the mainspring tensioned. Sometimes there is a stress riser in the pivot pin at the corner where it joins the frame. Some of these are just going to break off no matter what you do. Ones that are replaced will hopefully be stronger than the originals. 

Toolguy,

Both post sheared of right at the frame:  the recess they sit in was as clean as you please.    Hopefully the repair holds well.  The littlest big bore was really starting to grow on me as a carry and field piece.   I'm seriously contemplating a new production 6 inch 610 for ICORE, USPSA major and handgun hunting.   Less blast than a 454, less lead than a 45 acp or 45 colt 260 WFN...

I have no idea what happened to this revo before I bought it, hopefully the hammer post repair is the end of the "used car" woes!

Thanks!

Jason

Jason if you have not sent it back yet, you may want to get a hold of Joe Leinenger at MOJO CUSTOM GUNS he does the best repairs on broken hammer/trigger studs, he is reasonable and has a good turn around if he does it. Might think about it since Smith is charging also.

Edited by mchapman
spelling

7 hours ago, mchapman said:

Jason if you have not sent it back yet, you may want to get a hold of Joe Leinenger at MOJO CUSTOM GUNS he does the best repairs on broken hammer/trigger studs, he is reasonable and has a good turn around if he does it. Might think about it since Smith is charging also.

And charging quite a bit.

Every N Frame I've had has done it with one or both studs.  That's a 28, 29-3, 625 pc, 627 pc don't have enough rounds down range on the 627 pro or the 325 TR.  On the 28, 29 & 625 I was guilty of Toolguy's statement.  But not with the 627, haven't even taken it apart very much, but it does have maybe 30,000+ rounds through it since 2013.

Edited by pskys2