Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Assembling an open gun.

gnappi

I recently acquired a complete V12 upper (minus sights) and I've read some less than wonderful things about the V12 but all were about making major with it which I have no interest in. I have no problem shooting minor. 

That said, to finish it I'm still on the fence on my options but, I'm not going the route of slide milling and whatever I get I'd like to not be locked into one brand optic mounting scheme. 

1. A dovetail mount for an optic, but a slide racker is not possible with one so that's less than optimum. Its benefits are some can mount more than one optic brand, and they're relatively inexpensive

2. A frame mount will let me have a racker, but I''d like to find one that could accommodate any of these: Vortex, Fastfire or Docter.  The problem here is the frame mounts are scarce to not available. 

Does anyone know of a frame optic mount that is flexible on what brand optic can be mounted? 

Get a frame mount and just pick a decent optic and stick to it, currently that seems to be either a DPP, a RTS2 or one of the SIG variants.  The frame mount helps the optic live longer 

PS Burris Fast Fire, Vortex Viper and Venom, and Doctor all use the same mount pattern so whatever you get you only need one mount to cover the dots you listed.

There is a good reference chart in this thread 

Thanks Mike, that helps. 

I'm not concerned about shooting and staying with a specific mount it's only that if / when a maker turns out unreliable, decides to change their "standard" mount, stop making an optic, or goes out of business completely.  I'd like the flexibility to move to another maker. 

I've looked for a frame mount, but all but weaver seem to be unavailable. Any ideas on a source that has stock for Tanfo? 

Edited by gnappi

I took the V12 on my Limited Custom frame to the range today, no sights, but just looking down the barrel I had no problem staying in the center of my paper 2/3 size bowling pin target at 25'. The concussive effect from the comp was very disconcerting to shooters all around me though! Gads, I haven't owned a comped gun since the 80's, I forgot the effect they have on peeps nearby.

Anyway, For the time being I decided to get an EGW Docter/Fastfire/Venom sight mount until I can find a frame mount. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/15/2020 at 10:39 PM, gnappi said:

I took the V12 on my Limited Custom frame to the range today, no sights, but just looking down the barrel I had no problem staying in the center of my paper 2/3 size bowling pin target at 25'. The concussive effect from the comp was very disconcerting to shooters all around me though! Gads, I haven't owned a comped gun since the 80's, I forgot the effect they have on peeps nearby.

Anyway, For the time being I decided to get an EGW Docter/Fastfire/Venom sight mount until I can find a frame mount. 

I put a IPSC Alex mount on my Gold Team.  Vortex Razor/RTS2/etc fit.  Nice set back, low to slide, and very light.  Be aware ejection pattern must be low, and clearance so slide does not rub during cycle.

Thanks all. I wish I'd known about ipscalex sooner...  Now that I know where to find the frame mounts, I'll go there the next time.

I wound up with the EGW, it was readily available and while the optic may not last as long it was just less pain.