Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

617 firing pin

I am looking for info regarding your experience with firing pins for S&W 617s with the frame mounted firing pin. I am interested in the manufacturer and length that has allowed you to get the lowest D.A. Pull possible. My action has been polished, I am using an Apex mass driver but can’t get reliable ignition below 7 1/4 pounds. Also has anyone changed the profile of their firing pin for better ignition?

Thanks

What ammo are you using?  I've had the best luck with Federal BYOB and Remington Golden Bullets.  Blazers work well but not 100%.  My timing is off a little so I'm having that worked on then I expect to be using CCI Mini Mags as well but the Federal are working so well I'll probably stay with them.

I'm using the Apex extended firing pin, their springs and I've gotten my pull down to 6.5 lbs. I haven't tried lower than that.  It feels good right where it is.  At 7.5 pounds I can shoot more ammo reliably.  100% ignition is more important that the 1/2 pound you may save.

If you need speed loaders go with the DS-10s. Dave is great to work with and the loaders are fast and reliable.

617 wtih new DS-10s.jpg

I wish it was Apex but I gave it to a friend, Nelson Ford "The Gunsmith".  I've known Nelson for 40 years and thought I'd give him a try.  He found that I was out of time and that my Yoke was bent.  I wanted to do it myself but couldn't fit the timing with a new hand, beyond my ability at this time.  I don't have knowledge enough to fix the yoke.  I normally get stuff done real fast with Nelson. 

Thanks for the reply, I like you have found the Remington Golden Bullet to be the most reliable in my gun. I have a few of the newer Apex firing pins and do not like them as well as their older ones. The new ones are longer and have a double cut, they look very similar to Cylinder and slides except for the double cut.

You can order them from RevolverSupply.com They also have the cases that hold your ammo ready for the loaders.  

Dave is still in business. He was nice enough to give me some of his new loaders recently.  The new ones are easier to grab and let go of the ammo faster.  They are the ones in my picture with the holster I made for the 617.