Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Only Some Of The Primers Are Upside Down

I loaded about 600 rounds in an hour tonight, my first large batch for me. Out of the 600, there were 11 which had the primer reversed. I know when I picked up the primers with the tube, they were in correct.

How do they flip? Inside the tube on the way down?

Other than that, 3 shells with no primers, my bad and one that didn't go in the case gage, all the others cased fine.

My machine did jam when a .40 came down and landed in the .45 case. This happened twice. I raised the case feeder up about 3/4 inch so I could disconnect everything and get the offending .40 cases out. Pretty hard to run the deprimer with 2 cases in there....Lesson learned: Dont tumble .40 and .45 cases together when cleaning cases.

I am starting to love this 650XL.

Now... need to go shoot them and make more..... I am an addict....

JS

Jerry

Welocme to the wonderful world of the 650

Check the Cam on the left side of the base casting. It should be square and both allen screws should be tight. I'm not the expert on this so if you have more trouble call Dillon, they love to help.

Later, Steve

I loaded about 600 rounds in an hour tonight, my first large batch for me. Out of the 600, there were 11 which had the primer reversed. I know when I picked up the primers with the tube, they were in correct.

How do they flip? Inside the tube on the way down?

Other than that, 3 shells with no primers, my bad and one that didn't go in the case gage, all the others cased fine.

My machine did jam when a .40 came down and landed in the .45 case. This happened twice. I raised the case feeder up about 3/4 inch so I could disconnect everything and get the offending .40 cases out. Pretty hard to run the deprimer with 2 cases in there....Lesson learned: Dont tumble .40 and .45 cases together when cleaning cases.

I am starting to love this 650XL.

Now... need to go shoot them and make more..... I am an addict....

JS

Be sure the primer seating punch/bushing assembly is screwed completely up into the underside of the platform, although given the ratio of flipped primers this is unlikely. Next, push down on the edge of the shellpalte at station 4. If it feels springy, then the shellplate bolt needs to be tightened a little bit. Finally, there is a spring-loaded adjustable finger to keep the case from backing out at station 2. Be sure this is adjusted to be within .002-.004" of touching the case. :ph34r:

I had the same problem mostly when loading .45's. It seems the .45 primers will turn over in the plastic end of the loading tube. Thats the end which you insert the primer. To correct this try, after you load a full stick, insert the long black plastic rod which tells you how many primers you have left, into the bottom of the full primer tube which you have just loaded. Push the rod into the bottom of the tube so the primer are pushed up past the plastic end on the tube. Leave the plastic rod in the tube and insert it into the Dillon press. Let the plastic rod follow the primers down the tube. Remember never turn over tube without the rod inserted. This will prevent the primers turning over in the end of the tube. Leaving the rod in will also clear the tube so when you lay it down with a couple of primers left in it they will not turn over. I think it is the left over primers that are turning over.

I have loaded 1000,s of .45 & .40 bullets without a problem by using this method. I have a Dillon X650. PS: Got the info from a Dillon rep.

I had the same problem mostly when loading .45's. It seems the .45 primers will turn over in the plastic end of the loading tube. Thats the end which you insert the primer. To correct this try, after you load a full stick, insert the long black plastic rod which tells you how many primers you have left, into the bottom of the full primer tube which you have just loaded. Push the rod into the bottom of the tube so the primer are pushed up past the plastic end on the tube. Leave the plastic rod in the tube and insert it into the Dillon press. Let the plastic rod follow the primers down the tube. Remember never turn over tube without the rod inserted. This will prevent the primers turning over in the end of the tube. Leaving the rod in will also clear the tube so when you lay it down with a couple of primers left in it they will not turn over. I think it is the left over primers that are turning over.

I have loaded 1000,s of .45 & .40 bullets without a problem by using this method. I have a Dillon X650. PS: Got the info from a Dillon rep.

That's the ticket.

Same was happening to me on my 550. I had the bad habit of laying the full tubes on their sides. I was getting upside down primers all over the place. Once I started storing full tubes verticaly and using the follower rod to load them, my problem disappeared.

Bronson7