Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Potential issue or not on new gun

FALAR

I just picked up a new Limited and brought it home, disassembled, cleaned it up, and inspected it.

I noticed that where the little divit is for the front sight's set screw broke through into the slide.

Has anyone seen this before?  I wonder if it can "grow", open up, start forming a crack, or otherwise cause an issue down the road.

With EAA's legendary customer service I'm hoping it isn't an issue.

My Stock 2 had a small hole all the way through. Never was an issue...and honestly made attaching a dawson front sight even easier.

Not sure if its something they do all the time on other guns...but I will see neither of my Lim Pros have the hole all the way through, but my Stock 2 and 3 both did.

Does the hole look jagged or not machined well?

It is pretty clean.  This is my 8th tanfo and the first time I've seen this.  I'm sure it is only possible on Stock 2, Limited, etc.  Guns with the bull barrel which this is my 4th.

The whole inner area of the slide is pretty rough looking.  It is smooth to the touch except for some sharp edges but under light there is lots of visible hand tool use.

The barrel is easily movable on the muzzle end at lock up which is also a first.

Edited by FALAR

It'll be fine with that little hole. Ideally, you'll need to use the metal disc to put under Dawson front sight screw (which is included) so screw doesn't stick down towards barrel. Or, if using xtreme front sight, their screw is wider that it won't go through that little hole you mentioned. 

16 hours ago, FALAR said:

It is pretty clean.  This is my 8th tanfo and the first time I've seen this.  I'm sure it is only possible on Stock 2, Limited, etc.  Guns with the bull barrel which this is my 4th.

The whole inner area of the slide is pretty rough looking.  It is smooth to the touch except for some sharp edges but under light there is lots of visible hand tool use.

The barrel is easily movable on the muzzle end at lock up which is also a first.

My two with bull barrels do not have the hole bored through... But if they were, as long as the screw is shorter than the hole I'd have no problem with it. The only issue after a lot of rounds may be a gunk buildup in the hole unlikely sufficient enough to cause problems. Keep it clean and you'll likely be GTG.

About the muzzle play...There is just a tiny bit of muzzle end play on mine and the barrels are not easily movable.

Thanks, guess I'll not do anything.

I noticed the sear appears to be the Unica sear, the trigger pull is much nicer than other my other Limited Custom was out of the box.

On 6/23/2020 at 8:58 PM, FALAR said:

Thanks, guess I'll not do anything.

I noticed the sear appears to be the Unica sear, the trigger pull is much nicer than other my other Limited Custom was out of the box.

Thats pretty rad! Is it gold colored?

My Lim Pro came with a one piece sear which was a nice surprise as well.

2 hours ago, BigAm said:

Thats pretty rad! Is it gold colored?

My Lim Pro came with a one piece sear which was a nice surprise as well.

More like a brown color, like the pictures of it I've seen online.  I have the standard 1 piece sear that came in my other Limited Custom and a Stock III with an Xtreme sear as well as some discarded two piece in my spare parts bin.  It just looks like a 1pc/xtreme with the colored coating.

I also noticed the serial numbers changed from the MT prefix.  Looks like they started over some time in 2019 at EAA00000.  They are triple serializing them like every other European pistol I've owned or own as well, marking the barrels and slides now.