Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Does anyone make a replacement handle for JP side charge?

So I built a new PCC with a JP upper/lower and went with the side charge upper, which I really like.  But what I don't like are the two handle options.  The fixed "competition" model is just ridiculous in terms of size, and the other is a folder.  Between the two, I chose the folder, and that works pretty good.  But what I'd like is a fixed handle that has a small barrel knob or something about 1/3 to 1/2 the size of what JP sells.  I've looked around and haven't found any replacement options, so I'm wondering if anyone makes/sells anything like that.

11 hours ago, ltdmstr said:

The fixed "competition" model is just ridiculous in terms of size...

Hahaha I've thought the same! It's like a "kick-stand" for your rifle lol.

Guess I could get theirs and cut it down.  But the price is also pretty crazy, particularly for something I'm going to chop up.  I could make my own, but really don't have time for another project.  Surprised someone hasn't come up with a replacement for this yet.

Here's the JP competition/fixed side charge handle.  Plastic definitely isn't going to be strong enough.  So printing isn't an option.  Going to have to be aluminum or steel.  Maybe I'll just get one of those and cut the lever off and replace it with a knob.

6441.jpg.8433d2155c15f614d417c47475f90ed1.jpg

I am totally backseat quarterbacking this...  the main difference between the original folding side charger and the new competition handle from my observation is that the competition handle only unfolds just enough to allow it to unlock.  That is why the rear of the competition handle is longer - has that toenail wedge at the end that limits just how much it opens.

You can probably convert your original side charger if you can find a way to limit the amount it opens to just enough so it unlocks, then screw in a knob at the front end.  Maybe put an L bracket at the HINGED end to stop it from opening all the way??  I kind of dropped the though experiment cause there was just not enough to work with.

Your call though.  Buying a lever for $200+ to cut it down is just a hard pill to swallow.

If you do make a mod I think there is a market for it cause I'm certain a few people who bought the original handle at launch are kind of bitter that JP is charging $200+ for a whole new assembly instead of just selling that modified lever.

W7565_SI_99511.jpg

If you do come up with a good solution, please do share.  I've been stewing on it for a little bit but haven't had a clear solution.  I'm sure there's demand for it. : )

Super long set screw on the back and the knurled knob on the front?

Edited by Sniperboy