Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

A Pin & Weld Variation Question

Several states currently won't allow several typical AR cosmetic features, one of which is a threaded barrel.  So, if you have a PCC with a threaded barrel and have to move to one if these states (or God forbid it becomes a national law) has anyone considered having a thread protector pinned and welded to the barrel?  Yes, pinning and welding a flash hider or compensator is routinely done but some place these aren't allowed either.   So how about Pinning &Welding a thread protector?

Edited by SteelCityShooter
  • 2 weeks later...

Sure, it is done, but the cost of a new lightweight shrouded barrel is probably not a heck of alot more than you would pay a gunsmith to perform the work.    Just something to think about 

I've pinned/welded a few comps.  Just make sure you're happy with your choice. We arent allowed to have flash hiders in my state. So a compensator it is.  Worse case, buy a thread protector and pin/weld it.  I know rocksett is also an alternative. 

At the same time, if a law enforcement officer is checking your muzzle device, you're probably already in trouble for something else

1 hour ago, Bdh821 said:

I've pinned/welded a few comps.  Just make sure you're happy with your choice. We arent allowed to have flash hiders in my state. So a compensator it is.  Worse case, buy a thread protector and pin/weld it.  I know rocksett is also an alternative. 

At the same time, if a law enforcement officer is checking your muzzle device, you're probably already in trouble for something else

Rocksett isn't an acceptable solution, as it isn't permanent.  I know for certain that ATF doesn't allow it when determining barrel length with pinned and welded muzzle devices.

30 minutes ago, ltdmstr said:

Rocksett isn't an acceptable solution, as it isn't permanent.  I know for certain that ATF doesn't allow it when determining barrel length with pinned and welded muzzle devices.

I was referring to my local laws for threaded muzzle devices on 16" barrels.  I should have clarified.  Thanks for the correction

27 minutes ago, Bdh821 said:

I was referring to my local laws for threaded muzzle devices on 16" barrels.  I should have clarified.  Thanks for the correction

Most places that prohibit threaded barrelIs require that the thread protector, or whatever you put on it, is permanently attached.  Pin and weld is permanent.  Rocksett isn't.  With Rocksett, you can take a pair of pliers and remove the thread protector it about 30 seconds.  I don't think the cops there, or a judge, are going to be ok with that.

• 1 month later...
4 hours ago, Prange said:

There are places where the law prohibits threaded barrels. With no mention of pinned and welded exceptions in it.

It's not worth getting jammed up over.

If you pin and weld an extension, it's considered permanent, and no longer a threaded barrel.  That's the ATF rule.  Local rules on threaded barrels are to prevent adding a muzzle device, which you can't do with a pinned and welded/permanent extension.