Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Rl 1100 and Everglades primer hold down

16 minutes ago, Sigarmsp226 said:

Hog - Thanks for posting the pictures -

Dirt - Thanks again for the product details.  I just ordered my unit from Everglades and hope to have it here later this week. 

Then to find a local machine shop to turn mine down that will not break it off in me.  Mark

Mark:

FWIW, my machinist said it was not a hard metal; and was very easy to turn down.........

Hopefully your machine shop with give you a very reasonable price!

👍

21 hours ago, HOGRIDER said:

Thanks.  

Another question if you don't mind?  Do you like to set up the Everglades primer backer with a full shell plate?  IOW, all the stations full so that you have the correct seating depth for primers?

Or, am I over-thinking this?  I have watched the Everglades install video.........

Thanks again!

I did my first one on my 1050 by itself shellplate empty. When I did my first cleaning I reset it with a full shellplate and it was about the same but I think it maybe better with the shellplate full even if it’s a little better. I set my 1100 up with the shell plate full right off the bat. If anything it doesn’t. 

5 hours ago, Sigarmsp226 said:

Hog - Thanks for posting the pictures -

Dirt - Thanks again for the product details.  I just ordered my unit from Everglades and hope to have it here later this week. 

Then to find a local machine shop to turn mine down that will not break it off in me.  Mark

No prob. If they want to much my buddy actually put his in a drill press a filed it down and sanded it and polished it. Came out about as good as mine that was machined. Even chucking it in a drill and filing it down would do the trick just takes more time. 

22 hours ago, HOGRIDER said:

Thanks.  

Another question if you don't mind?  Do you like to set up the Everglades primer backer with a full shell plate?  IOW, all the stations full so that you have the correct seating depth for primers?

Or, am I over-thinking this?  I have watched the Everglades install video.........

Thanks again!

Hog

if you using mixed brass when you set it up just barley kiss the inside of the case and maybe back it off barley so it doesn’t jam into case on mixed brass. I made that mistake the first time i set it up. 

9 minutes ago, Dirtchevy841 said:

Hog

if you using mixed brass when you set it up just barley kiss the inside of the case and maybe back it off barley so it doesn’t jam into case on mixed brass. I made that mistake the first time i set it up. 

I wasn't sure about how to set this up just right; but like you thought there might be a happy medium in case I was using different brass.  Right now I've got plenty of once fired Winchester that's been fully processed..........

Since I already had the 9mm Swage Setter from Ammo Brass, I decided to use that as a go-gauge for initial setup using a spent primer.  After I got the shell plate full, I needed 1/4 turn on the primer punch to get an average of .005" seat depth.  Once I get the Primer Slide Indexer Assembly lined out, I can get back to seeing how everything's working out............

Thanks for your help!

Primer Backer 5.png

Primer Backer 7.png

• 2 years later...

Hope to revive this thread, not sure if its too old, but saw the above and decided to take matters into my own hands and sand the dang thing.  Its not machinist quality, but still fit on my 1100 fairly well and works out perfectly.  Made a video about if your interested.  Will post the link once the video is published on YouTube.

2 hours ago, clw42 said:

I've thought about it, but it's a little pricey for something I don't necessarily 'need'

I found it really help with consistent primer depth. Even in the 1050/1100 there is some variety of seating depth because of the small movement in the shell plate and tool head. The Everglades hold down works if all the brass are the same; kind of like the swage hold down rod. The spring loaded LVI10 at the primer station and the FWA hold down at the swage station both really add to the consistency of the ammo. Beside which, after spending thousands on the press and the dies, what's a few more dollars? 🤔

2 hours ago, HesedTech said:

I found it really help with consistent primer depth. Even in the 1050/1100 there is some variety of seating depth because of the small movement in the shell plate and tool head. The Everglades hold down works if all the brass are the same; kind of like the swage hold down rod. The spring loaded LVI10 at the primer station and the FWA hold down at the swage station both really add to the consistency of the ammo. Beside which, after spending thousands on the press and the dies, what's a few more dollars? 🤔

Okay, that's fair.  Does it help prevent the shell plate from flexing or moving enough to have more consistent OAL?  Not sure how much of a role it even plays in that area. Seating primers, so far, hasn't been a problem for me.

Edited by clw42

3 hours ago, HesedTech said:

Kind of is the best answer. By holding down the brass they hold down the plate. 

Okay, thanks.  I actually emailed Everglades and they put some in stock so I ordered one of those.  For $20 shipped I figured it was worth a try.  I'll have to do some work to get it to fit the 1100, but not a huge deal.  If I don't like it, I'll order the Level 10.