Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Rl 1100 and Everglades primer hold down

Had an extra Everglades ammo primer hold down die and was going to put it on my new 1100. Well it’s to big and I remember their website said you had to turn it down for the rl1050. Has anybody fit one to a 1100 yet? If ypu what did you turn it down to and how is it working. It should work the same as on a 1050. 

Edited by Dirtchevy841

• 2 months later...
On 4/17/2020 at 11:10 AM, Dirtchevy841 said:

Had an extra Everglades ammo primer hold down die and was going to put it on my new 1100. Well it’s to big and I remember their website said you had to turn it down for the rl1050. Has anybody fit one to a 1100 yet? If ypu what did you turn it down to and how is it working. It should work the same as on a 1050. 

I emailed Everglades about their hold down die fitting the RL1100's.  They hadn't checked a RL1100 yet as they did not have access to a RL1100 toolhead.  I measured mine at .562" and shared the dimensions with them.  

I failed to see the specs on their website when ordering as I was mobile and in a hurry.  It's indeed .579"; so I guess I'll have to find a machinist that can turn it down to provide a slip fit for the RL1100.

Now I'm wondering if for some reason the RL1100 dimensions ARE NOT the same as an S1050, but are same/similar to the RL1050 as stated on their website.

Anyone with an S1050 that can verify the hole ID above the priming station (Station #4)??

Anyone with an RL1050 that can share their hole ID dimensions?

🤔

1 hour ago, Jmo2011 said:

My RL1050 measures .563. 

So now we've confirmed the RL1050 and RL1100 are sharing that 9/16" hole at Station #4.

Hopefully someone with an S1050 will chime in with their measurements.

IIRC, early on there were statements that the RL1100 used the same toolhead as the S1050 and they were interchangeable; however we do know they have different part numbers on Dillon's site.

Thanks Jmo!

25 minutes ago, HOGRIDER said:

So now we've confirmed the RL1050 and RL1100 are sharing that 9/16" hole at Station #4.

Hopefully someone with an S1050 will chime in with their measurements.

IIRC, early on there were statements that the RL1100 used the same toolhead as the S1050 and they were interchangeable; however we do know they have different part numbers on Dillon's site.

Thanks Jmo!

My s1050 id is .577 and my Everglades bushing is .578. My 1100 hole is .561. I am gonna turn it down to that to start as to not take to much off. 

11 minutes ago, Dirtchevy841 said:

My s1050 id is .577 and my Everglades bushing is .578. My 1100 hole is .561. I am gonna turn it down to that to start as to not take to much off. 

Thanks for that info........and it seems with your measurements that indeed the RL1050 and RL1100 are sharing the same diameter hole; and the S1050 is what the Everglades hold down die was developed for.

Now, I'm wondering why that specific Station hole is different than the S1050.  Probably require a call to Dillon for specifics.

Thanks again!

On 4/17/2020 at 10:10 AM, Dirtchevy841 said:

I had one from my previous 1050, Evergladess Primer hold down but it doesn't work or fit on the RL.  Decided to purchase an aftermarket tool head from On Point MFG, which provides you with a station on the primer area and I'm using a Dillon resize die on it to do the primer hold down, works with no issues.  For sizing/depriming Lee U die..

On 4/17/2020 at 11:10 AM, Dirtchevy841 said:

My friend who's a retired machinist stopped by to confirm my measurements.  His measurements mirrored mine; and his statement was the RL1100 toolhead uses a 9/16" hole at Station #4.  He's going by his previous employer's shop this Monday and is turning down the Everglades bushing to .5615".  May have to do one more cleanup pass after we check the fitment.  Going for a nice slip-fit.

I did reach out to Dillon Precision via email a few days ago concerning why the RL1100 did not share the dimensions of the S1050, but appears to be the same as the RL1050.  Have heard nothing back as of right now..........

🤔

16 minutes ago, chgofirefighter said:

I had one from my previous 1050, Evergladess Primer hold down but it doesn't work or fit on the RL.  Decided to purchase an aftermarket tool head from On Point MFG, which provides you with a station on the primer area and I'm using a Dillon resize die on it to do the primer hold down, works with no issues.  For sizing/depriming Lee U die..

chgo:

I'm wondering if your having any conflict with using the Lee U Die in Station #2, the stock Dillon expander/swage backup in Station #3, and then the standard Dillon resized die at Station #4 as the primer hold down?  I couldn't remember if you had the stock Dillon Expander at Station #3; and am wondering if #2 is sizing down, #3 is expanding, and then #4 sizing back down?

Hope this doesn't sound confusing.............

BTW:  did you ever consider one of these as your primer hold down with the On Point?  https://www.mightyarmory.com/products/the-backer-swage-station-die-for-automated-press-toolheads

If so, I've got a like new one that I'd be glad to send your way for a trial!  I'm not using it; so it's just sitting here gathering dust.........

:)

8 hours ago, HOGRIDER said:

chgo:

I'm wondering if your having any conflict with using the Lee U Die in Station #2, the stock Dillon expander/swage backup in Station #3, and then the standard Dillon resized die at Station #4 as the primer hold down?  I couldn't remember if you had the stock Dillon Expander at Station #3; and am wondering if #2 is sizing down, #3 is expanding, and then #4 sizing back down?

Hope this doesn't sound confusing.............

BTW:  did you ever consider one of these as your primer hold down with the On Point?  https://www.mightyarmory.com/products/the-backer-swage-station-die-for-automated-press-toolheads

If so, I've got a like new one that I'd be glad to send your way for a trial!  I'm not using it; so it's just sitting here gathering dust.........

:)

Station 2 has the FW arms decapper, 3, Lee U Die, 4 Redding sizing die which is used to hold down the casing while the primer is being inserted.  No issues thus far, perfect!  

10 hours ago, chgofirefighter said:

Station 2 has the FW arms decapper, 3, Lee U Die, 4 Redding sizing die which is used to hold down the casing while the primer is being inserted.  No issues thus far, perfect!  

Ahhhh!  I see now!  The Lee U Die is sizing smaller than the Redding at Station #4................  :)

So, you feel the Lee U Die is putting enough pressure (downward) on the brass that a solid rod inside the brass is not needed to backup the swaging process?  As with the stock Dillon expander/backup die?  

And the same results with a sizing die vs a solid backer rod at the priming station?  Does the Redding sizing die provide enough pressure to prevent the shell plate from flexing during primer seating?

Hope you don't mind all the questions............

Thanks!

1 hour ago, HOGRIDER said:

Ahhhh!  I see now!  The Lee U Die is sizing smaller than the Redding at Station #4................  :)

So, you feel the Lee U Die is putting enough pressure (downward) on the brass that a solid rod inside the brass is not needed to backup the swaging process?  As with the stock Dillon expander/backup die?  

And the same results with a sizing die vs a solid backer rod at the priming station?  Does the Redding sizing die provide enough pressure to prevent the shell plate from flexing during primer seating?

Hope you don't mind all the questions............

Thanks!

The Lee U Die works amazingly well, also the Redding sizing die.  It puts enough pressure to hold the casing down for swaging meanwhile resizing the case.  The Redding die is being used to hold down the case on the primming station, which as well, re checks for sizing.  On my Mark7 I resize 2 times, and I use 2 Lee U dies on the MK7 press.  On the Dillon since I didn't have another Lee U die I opted to use the Redding sizing die since it wasn't being used but in the future it will be replaced with the Lee U die as well.  Lastly, on the MK7 I will be swapping out the Lee U die for the FW Arms decapper, so I will be decapping and sizing 2 times...  

A bit overkill but it's better to be safe than sorry~  So far things have been working well

23 hours ago, chgofirefighter said:

The Lee U Die works amazingly well, also the Redding sizing die.  It puts enough pressure to hold the casing down for swaging meanwhile resizing the case.  The Redding die is being used to hold down the case on the primming station, which as well, re checks for sizing.  On my Mark7 I resize 2 times, and I use 2 Lee U dies on the MK7 press.  On the Dillon since I didn't have another Lee U die I opted to use the Redding sizing die since it wasn't being used but in the future it will be replaced with the Lee U die as well.  Lastly, on the MK7 I will be swapping out the Lee U die for the FW Arms decapper, so I will be decapping and sizing 2 times...  

A bit overkill but it's better to be safe than sorry~  So far things have been working well

How it feel on the press with 2 sizing stations. And with the sizing and swaging at the same time any issues with that. 

Ok guys - B-A-C-K up for a minute please for this less than bright guy that owns a RL1100 and just ordered the tool-heads I needed to set it up for loading 223(currently set up for 9mm)......Whet you are describing here is that when you are loading 223 you actually turn down the body of a die (or something) and you insert this through the non-threaded opening above the primer station that acts as a top side “support rod” that insures that, at the priming station, the case plate remains Secure from the top side to insure better and more precise primer insertion?

A picture of what you are using would help this old slow redneck understand what you are doing.....

Thanks for helping me understand what you are discussing here and the ultimate goal....Mark 

7 hours ago, Sigarmsp226 said:

Ok guys - B-A-C-K up for a minute please for this less than bright guy that owns a RL1100 and just ordered the tool-heads I needed to set it up for loading 223(currently set up for 9mm)......Whet you are describing here is that when you are loading 223 you actually turn down the body of a die (or something) and you insert this through the non-threaded opening above the primer station that acts as a top side “support rod” that insures that, at the priming station, the case plate remains Secure from the top side to insure better and more precise primer insertion?

A picture of what you are using would help this old slow redneck understand what you are doing.....

Thanks for helping me understand what you are discussing here and the ultimate goal....Mark 

Everglades die 

86A84047-3314-45CF-B562-C2ABF5467F52.png

Dirt - Thank you Sir - Two questions - Do you recommend using this with pistol rounds also AND if I buy the exact item you show above will I still need to find someone to turn it down Or will it fit on the RL1100 toolhead as received?

Mark

2 hours ago, Sigarmsp226 said:

Dirt - Thank you Sir - Two questions - Do you recommend using this with pistol rounds also AND if I buy the exact item you show above will I still need to find someone to turn it down Or will it fit on the RL1100 toolhead as received?

Mark

I use for both pistol and rifle setups. Yes it will have to be turned downed for the rl1100 toolhead. Top of thread has my measurements of the 2 press toolhead. Turned it down to .561

4 hours ago, Dirtchevy841 said:

I use for both pistol and rifle setups. Yes it will have to be turned downed for the rl1100 toolhead. Top of thread has my measurements of the 2 press toolhead. Turned it down to .561

Dirt:

Supposed to get mine machined in the morning.  Going for a minimum of .5615" - .561"............

Did you attempt to apply any blueing/black-out pen to replace the anodizing?  Or just lube it up and install?

👍

27 minutes ago, HOGRIDER said:

Dirt:

Supposed to get mine machined in the morning.  Going for a minimum of .5615" - .561"............

Did you attempt to apply any blueing/black-out pen to replace the anodizing?  Or just lube it up and install?

👍

Nope nothing. Just installed it 

4 hours ago, Dirtchevy841 said:

Nope nothing. Just installed it 

Thanks.  

Another question if you don't mind?  Do you like to set up the Everglades primer backer with a full shell plate?  IOW, all the stations full so that you have the correct seating depth for primers?

Or, am I over-thinking this?  I have watched the Everglades install video.........

Thanks again!

Hog - Thanks for posting the pictures -

Dirt - Thanks again for the product details.  I just ordered my unit from Everglades and hope to have it here later this week. 

Then to find a local machine shop to turn mine down that will not break it off in me.  Mark

Edited by Sigarmsp226