Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

BulletSense

I finally got around to loading a bunch of 9mm today after installing a BulletSense a few weeks ago on my 1050 Pro.  I found that the sensor will stop the press if the bullet topples immediately upon entry at the Seating station.  If it enters standing upright and then falls over as the toolhead is coming down, the sensor won't stop the machine until the bullet and case are mangled.

Is there a cure for that or do I still have to stand there with the Remote Stop button in my hand looking like a Jeopardy contestant, ready to pounce to press it fast enough?

If there is a cure, I would love to know.

What press are you running it on? I had that issue on my 1050. Haven’t really had an issue on the Revo’s but they rotate smoother. Maybe try the DAA powder spill device to see if it smooths out the motion of cases from bullet feed to seat?

• 2 weeks later...

No cure, if the sensor is interrupted by a bullet when the downstroke begins then the press will carry on. 

I’ve never seen the bullet stay in place for the index but fall off on the down stroke, maybe a touch more bell/flare required?

Shouldn’t be falling on index drop with good setup, but possible I guess. Challenge for the sensor/program would be adjustment factors of how far your laser goes over the bullet to reflect correct on mirror..Eventually the seating die lowering would break the laser and you would never truly get 100% “protection” if a bullet was to topple at the very end.  

I don't have that problem with 124s, but the top-heavy 147s are a PITA.  I have a Shooting Sports Innovations expander funnel on backorder.  Supposedly, it expands a little further down without flaring excessively, which I think may be the cure...

It would be nice to see a setting that could be adjusted that allowed bullets falling off as the toolhead comes down. Shouldn't be hard to do given all the other stuff they've incorporated

• 2 weeks later...

I have loaded about 10K of 147's and not had this problem.  I do use one of the small rubber O-ring style buffers on that brass pin at that station.  I don't remember where I got it, but it puts pressure on the base of the shell and seems to smooth out the jiggle just before the press starts the downstroke.  As others have said, once the downstroke starts, I haven't had a problem with the bullet falling off.  Just something to try.  

On 4/27/2020 at 6:34 PM, slavex said:

It would be nice to see a setting that could be adjusted that allowed bullets falling off as the toolhead comes down. Shouldn't be hard to do given all the other stuff they've incorporated

completely agree. Biggest problems I have had are rifle because I load a lot of FB and try to strike a balance of how much M die is used.