Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Clays And 230 Grain Tmjrn's

1911jerry

I was given a recipe for a Hornady 230 bullet, tmj round nose:

4.2 grains of Clays

469 crimp

1.275 OAL

Win primer

Anybody use this? I can't find where you would use Clays on this heavy of a bullet.

Any comments if this is safe or not?

Thanks

Jerry

Jerry,

Not sure about the length, but we've shot a zillion or so lead 255's with Clays, using 3.3 grs., so your load sounds about right, given that it's lighter and jacketed. Never had any problems with Clays in a 45, and shot from 185's thru 255's. Always pretty soft and very clean.

I don't think I ever let a 45 round exceed 1.260, but if you can load them in your mag and your gun eats them OK, try it.

Rich (and no, I'm not going back to Clays in a 40) in VA

My Hogdon manual says 4.0 is the max for a 230gn jacketed bullet. If you want to try that recipie start much lower (3.8) and work up, look for pressure signs.

If you are going to push the limit, load the round as long as will reliably work in your pistol - this will give you a littel more space to keep the pressure from going nuts.

Edited by Gun Geek

OAL of 1.275 seems a bit long to me. I load 230 FMJ to 1.250 and I believe the max length is stated as 1.260. The load is a bit hot also. I usually load the same 230 FMJ with 3.9 of Clays to make 169 PF. I have loaded up to 4.0 grains before and they made almost 174 PF. Using a lead bullet, I back off .2 grains to get the same PF.

From using that load for 12 years now with godknowshowmanytimes I have reloaded it brass you should be fine. I run 4.0 with a 230LRN OAL 1.245-1.250....makes 171PF in my 625, so it definitely makes major in my auto. In my experience adding.02gr with a Jacketed bullet should put you spot on. DougC

I'm using the Rainier 230 gr plated RN, 4.3 Clays, and a CCI 300 in R-P cases, OAL 1.260. This load is .3 grain over what Hodgdon says is max, but it's actually pretty mild to shoot & I've seen no pressure signs. I've read that the plated bullets like I'm using take powder charges that are more in the range for lead bullets, so if you're shooting a Hornady jacketed 230 gr, YMMV. Haven't put them on the chrono yet, so I can't give you a velocity....