Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Which Clips For .38sc

cooper_999

Hi,

has anybody a hint for me, which kinds of clips you use with .38SC brass? I got my first 500 Starlines today - but my clips are too thin - the brass is badly wobbling around - is there a TK or heartco clip which is better working?

best,

Sascha

Edited by cooper_999

I have 60 of them. :D

~Randy

Hold on here, 60/5=12*29.95=$359.40. Ouch! I use the El Cheapo Brownells (they're only $4 or so per clip. Imagine that, $4 freakin' dollars for a piece of freakin' spring steel :blink: ). I thought the whole purpose behing the Short Colt cases was to cut down the overall length of the loaded cartridge to keep the wobble to an acceptable minimum. If you're going to use super tight clips that eliminate wobble you might as well use plain jane .38 Special cases. I've no doubt Dave makes fantastic stuff, it's just that it's fantastic stuff I can't afford.

No Rob, it's not the wobble, it's the length.  Those stubby little moons really do throw into the gun faster.  Try it man.

Oh I definitely drank the Kool Aid on that. I just ran Short Colts out of my Eight Shooter at an ICORE match and plan on repeating the experience at the MA ICORE match and the PSA Shootout. Speaking of which, do you know about the PSA? Six stages of 30 pieces of falling steel, loads of fun. Check it out at PSAShootout.com.

No Rob, it's not the wobble, it's the length.  Those stubby little moons really do throw into the gun faster.  Try it man.

I've had good luck with Hearthco moons that are designed for my standard .38s and I use them for my .38 SCs as well. They don't fit as tight but they sure do reload faster. The biggest advantage is how fast they come out of the gun.

I'm still trying to work up a load that works better. Getting some tumbling right now with 158 grainers and 4 grains of Unique making a 138 pf out of my gun.

~Randy

Hold on here, 60/5=12*29.95=$359.40. Ouch! I use the El Cheapo Brownells (they're only $4 or so per clip. Imagine that, $4 freakin' dollars for a piece of freakin' spring steel :blink: ). I thought the whole purpose behing the Short Colt cases was to cut down the overall length of the loaded cartridge to keep the wobble to an acceptable minimum. If you're going to use super tight clips that eliminate wobble you might as well use plain jane .38 Special cases. I've no doubt Dave makes fantastic stuff, it's just that it's fantastic stuff I can't afford.

Rob,

I'll include a couple when I ship your 625 back. They make a difference. I suggest buying a few of them and save them for big matches. That's what I do cuz I'm thrifty(cheap)!

When I started playing with Starline Short Colt brass I encountered a couple of instances where the case head would slip out of the clip just enough to hang up on the reload. Dave's clip prevents this from happening. I also was running a sub 3 lb trigger pull on the steel gun using R-P 38 spl brass, but had to bump up the mainspring tension which increased the trigger pull to 3lb 6oz. in order to have reliable ignition with the Starline SC brass using my old 38 spl moons. Using the clips specifically cut for Starline brass, I'm back down into the sub 3's. The only thing that has changed is the tolerances on how the moonclip secures the brass. I ran the sc's at the Steel Challenge and it wasn't the gun or ammo that sucked... :angry:

Be aware that the Starline brass primer pockets can vary in depth.

Thanks Randy! I'll take a look and see how they work, I'll definitely spring for them if they make as big a difference. I guess it's just the civil servant in me that makes it hard to part with cash :D ! I always appreciate what the vendors who support this game do for us and try to help them out when the time comes, and Dave seems like that kind of guy.

Hello Sascha,

Hearthco makes some moonclips for the SC. It is the same as those for 38spl. Starline brass.

How's the hammer?

~Randy

thanks all!

Seems, that my postman has to deliver a package from USA soon.... ;)

@Randy - whow - 60.... :o

Hammer: I´ve polished some areas and played a little bit with spring set-up. Next training session is planned on tuesday - then I will know more, if its working ore not - but I think, it will... :rolleyes:

Cylinder-release installed? How is it working on the "beast"?

best,

Sascha

Hello Sascha,

Hearthco makes some moonclips for the SC. It is the same as those for 38spl. Starline brass.

How's the hammer?

~Randy

thanks all!

Seems, that my postman has to deliver a package from USA soon.... ;)

@Randy - whow - 60.... :o

Hammer: I´ve polished some areas and played a little bit with spring set-up. Next training session is planned on tuesday - then I will know more, if its working ore not - but I think, it will... :rolleyes:

Cylinder-release installed? How is it working on the "beast"?

best,

Sascha

Hi Sascha,

I got the cylinder release installed and people seem to like it. I haven't had time to use it in a match, but it is hard to miss the release.

Once the 6.5" barrel assembly is complete I'll post the pics.

Randy

Hi Gang,

Many of you have bought my standard clip have come to find they work a little better with Starline brass than what else is available. When so many more of you expressed the interest in using Starline I started to see that in order to maintain the tightness that many of you had come to expect with Hearthco clips, I had to tighten the Starline only clip a bit more. These clips are VERY brass sensitive, so dont attempt to put any other brass in them.

Randy discovered that the tightness of the clip becomes very important when you venture in the sub 4lb trigger range.

Sascha, I received your email and need to find out how to send stuff out of the country so the shipping does not cost more than the products.

I know many of you are sensitive to the price of my products, moon clips in general have always been a very in-expensive item. If you dont feel my clips are better and worth the money, thats OK Im not to terribly hurt (sob,sob).

But I would ask you to consider the value in having a supplier who makes a high quality, consistant product with the SHOOTER in mind?

Yes, I do make a profit when I sell my products. Thats business. When the demand stops, the supplier will go away. Till then, I welcome the oportunity(Hey Brian, I need spellcheck) to provide the products that you want to use. Dave B)

Sascha, I received your email and need to find out how to send stuff out of the country so the shipping does not cost more than the products.

Hi Dave,

thanks - maybe you should ask Randy.... ;)

Yes, I do make a profit when I sell my products. Thats business. When the demand stops, the supplier will go away. Till then, I welcome the oportunity(Hey Brian, I need spellcheck) to provide the products that you want to use. Dave B)

for me, this is nothing dingy! I´ve made often the experience, if you buy "only cheap" - you often buy twice. And not to forget - you get, what you pay for....

If they´re worth the money - no prob. But unfortunately, I neaver got the chance to test them. The Ranch clips I got from a friend, who bought them at IWA show in Nuremberg (I think, its written like that in english?).

best,

Sascha