Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Enjoy the Test!

Wrist Shot

I saw a post on another thread asking the forum community to help an RO answer a question on the annual recertification exam. I thought I would share my approach to the annual test. 
When I took the first tests after becoming an RO I thought it was a pain in the ass. I knew the answer but not the rule and I had to “waste” time looking for the rule number. I realized the first time I took it that NROI was designing the questions to make me look through the rules which is an important skill for an RO and I begrudgingly gave them credit for the design of the question. I am a CRO now and the exam is the same but my approach to the exam changed a while back and I thought I’d share it.
I open the exam and I read the questions. Then I read the rules front to back. As I read I come across my rule numbers and enter them. It doesn't take that much time and I score 100 percent which I don’t care about even a little.  But every time I read them, even before all the recent changes, I learn something or flash back in time to issues that came up at matches, I don’t think it takes much longer than searching by phrase words etc. and it  is enlightening, encouraging, and makes me a better range official. I encourage folks to try this approach. At the end of the day the more we know the better officials we will be and the better the sport will be and if it’s less painful at exam time why not?

Like your high school algebra teacher said "some day you will need this". The last match I worked I was called to a stage for a DQ. (There is a very similar thread about a PCC A/D running right now). The stage was a multi-string standards stage and the shooter let one fly after "Make Ready" on the last string. He challenged the RO's DQ call (rightfully so) so I walked him through the rules. I didn't remember the exact rule number but knew enough as to where to start. I showed him 10.4.3 and how it referred to 8.3.1. When he saw that the title of 8.3.1 ("Make Ready"), the discussion was concluded.  It took just a couple minutes to do this. No drama, just logic. Being prepared is a good thing 😉 ! I almost always learn something else when looking for rule references for the renewal test.

I'm always a little nervous every year before the annual exam....not wanting to fail...which I have.  But in doing so I also learn more.  Thankfully Corporate is generous and on my second test I passed.  Although I don't like tests...I believe this one is necessary for our sport to keep us familiar with all the rules...new and old.  

• 3 weeks later...

I wonder what the breakdown of the test questions are, new vs ones that haven’t changed.
I’ve ran into ROs who don’t have a clue as to any of the newer rules. They’ve been shooting for 10-20-30 years & tell stories like “back in the day you couldn’t do this...”.
It’s pretty frustrating to educated them while trying to shoot a stage.
Maybe a 25% of rules that haven’t changed in 5 years.
50% of common rules that seem to draw conflict.
And the last 25% of rules that have changed in the last 2 years.