Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

MA 9mm expander die experience?

Chris777

Are you not expanding at the powder drop?

Sorry. I know it’s not what you asked.

Have you considered the Mr Bullet funnel?

I ask because if you are the Mr Bullet powder funnels are just about the best thing out there. Especially if you are using mixed range pick up 9MM brass

I was having issues with inconsistencies in belling with the Dillon powder funnel. Some we belled too much and some not enough. Switched to the Mr Bullet and all the issues went away. And now that I actually have a Mr Bullet it works out perfect.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

6 hours ago, iflyskyhigh said:

Are you not expanding at the powder drop?

Sorry. I know it’s not what you asked.

Have you considered the Mr Bullet funnel?

I ask because if you are the Mr Bullet powder funnels are just about the best thing out there. Especially if you are using mixed range pick up 9MM brass

I was having issues with inconsistencies in belling with the Dillon powder funnel. Some we belled too much and some not enough. Switched to the Mr Bullet and all the issues went away. And now that I actually have a Mr Bullet it works out perfect.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

- I have used the MBF funnel and it works ok, but is a PIA to adjust when switching to different bullets mfg (I buy what ever bullet is on sale and sometimes they require different belling)

- On my 1050, on the upstroke, the MBF cause the die head to pull and then make a loud clack when the expander is pulled  out of the case.  Its just a noise thing, but don't like it

- Like to have the adjustability of a seperate die - so I am looking at a dedicated expander in station 3 (swage station on my 1050)

- Not sure if there are any differences between the various die mfg's when it comes to expanders.  I have a MA 9mm size and decapping die and wanted to some feedback on their expanders.

I think the M-die is the best in the business if you are looking for a seperate expanding step. Can be a *** to adjust though with the thin nut on top. (Or you could choose to adjust using the die body.)

13 hours ago, Chris777 said:

- I have used the MBF funnel and it works ok, but is a PIA to adjust when switching to different bullets mfg (I buy what ever bullet is on sale and sometimes they require different belling)

- On my 1050, on the upstroke, the MBF cause the die head to pull and then make a loud clack when the expander is pulled  out of the case.  Its just a noise thing, but don't like it

- Like to have the adjustability of a seperate die - so I am looking at a dedicated expander in station 3 (swage station on my 1050)

- Not sure if there are any differences between the various die mfg's when it comes to expanders.  I have a MA 9mm size and decapping die and wanted to some feedback on their expanders.

So we’re on 1050 u going to use ? MA die. Unless u buy after market tool head or use at station two ?

I’ve used the Mdie and while it works well I Recommend the expander plug from NOE with the Lee Universal expander die. Much stronger combo. 

The links for plug and die:

https://noebulletmolds.com/site/shop/expanders/expander-plug-pistol/359-x-355-p-exp-plug

https://leeprecision.com/universal-case-expanding-die.html

However, I use a Dillon 1050 now with the MBF powder funnel and found no need for the NOE expander. 

All valid points.

If you aren’t already, try a little Hornady One Shot. That “THUNK” you feel and hear when the case gets pulled out of the powder expander should go away.

On 2/23/2020 at 2:44 PM, hurley326 said:

I use a Lee Universal Expander with the insert taken out and a Mr Bullet Feeder powder funnel inside of it instead. Im loading on a Mk7 Evo Pro

I'm doing the same. It's great being able to adjust the flare without messing with the powder system.

Mine is on an 1100 in station 2. Took the swage backer out. 

Eventual plan is to get the CNC toolhead and move it to station 3 and either put the swage system back in or get a swage sense from Immortal Arms.

Correction: Reference to "swage sense" should have said "primer pocket probe"

Edited by ddc

7 hours ago, ddc said:

I'm doing the same. It's great being able to adjust the flare without messing with the powder system.

Mine is on an 1100 in station 2. Took the swage backer out. 

Eventual plan is to get the CNC toolhead and move it to station 3 and either put the swage system back in or get a swage sense from Immortal Arms.

Can u use this in station two as backer die also? Got feeling that’s a no but trying not to buy a toolhead 

14 hours ago, 36873687 said:

Can u use this in station two as backer die also? Got feeling that’s a no but trying not to buy a toolhead 

I don't know. I was curious about that also but have not looked into the possibility.

Tried the 9 mm die on 1050. On toolhead  u won’t use lock ring on the die. On expander had shave the nylon nut down to be able to lock it down. No biggie I think Wayne is getting thinner nuts to work. My brass is processed an swaged already so I’m just taking backer die out use in station two. Much smoother than belling at powder drop

Edited by 36873687

On 2/29/2020 at 1:44 PM, 36873687 said:

Tried the 9 mm die on 1050. On toolhead  u won’t use lock ring on the die. On expander had shave the nylon nut down to be able to lock it down. No biggie I think Wayne is getting thinner nuts to work. My brass is processed an swaged already so I’m just taking backer die out use in station two. Much smoother than belling at powder drop

Thanks...

Just picked up the MA 9mm expander as well.  Found the same issues you noted with the nylon lock nut being just a bit too thick to be able to lock it down at the point where it flares the case to the required dimension.  Running a 1050 as well.  Will try the hardware store for a thinner jam nut or try to sand or shave down the nylon nut that ships with the expander.

If there is V2 in the works, I think the expander and die body need to be increased in length by 1/2" to fit everyone's press.  The MA expander die is quite a bit shorter overall than the M-die, but the MA machining and finishing cant' be compared to other commercial dies.