Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Refinishing a magwell

lroy

I picked up a Limcat Brass magwell a while back. I have beaten this thing to death. The bottom is pretty much white at this point, which is fine. The sides look like theyve been dragged by a car from trying to push speed and missing. I was just gonna spray paint it black with whatever I have laying around and be done, but figured I'd see if anyone else has a less poverty method.

I don't expect it to last that long not matter what I do, was just curious if anyone else has tried it before.

1 hour ago, lroy said:

I picked up a Limcat Brass magwell a while back. I have beaten this thing to death. The bottom is pretty much white at this point, which is fine. The sides look like theyve been dragged by a car from trying to push speed and missing. I was just gonna spray paint it black with whatever I have laying around and be done, but figured I'd see if anyone else has a less poverty method.

I don't expect it to last that long not matter what I do, was just curious if anyone else has tried it before.

I would use the Brownells Gun-Kote in a can  it is just a can version of KG gunkote, I have a couple guns I have refinished with KG gunkote and it works pretty well, not quite as hard as Cerakote but it is super easy to use and for a magwell touch up the spray can version would be perfect.

16 minutes ago, MikeBurgess said:

I would use the Brownells Gun-Kote in a can  it is just a can version of KG gunkote, I have a couple guns I have refinished with KG gunkote and it works pretty well, not quite as hard as Cerakote but it is super easy to use and for a magwell touch up the spray can version would be perfect.

Awesome. Thanks man. I'll check it out. 

Edited by lroy

4 minutes ago, lroy said:

Awesome. Thanks man. I'll check it out. 

the nice thing vs regular spray paint other than its tougher is, it is solvent proof so you can actually clean your guns if your into that sort of thing. It does require baking after you spray it, I used my BBQ the first few times and now I have a cheep toaster oven. it really doesn't smell that bad when it cooks so you could probably use the kitchen oven, my wife said no though.

The insert is removable and can be changed. Reach out to limcat to purchase it

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Hm, well that's pretty cool actually haha. 

Probably a dumb question, but how the f*#k do you get the insert out? Just wedge something in between the lip on the outside?

For the limcat, the steel insert is bolted in place underneath. You’ll probably need to heat it up to break them loose. I wouldn’t bother refinishing the insert though. Paint or cerakote won’t hold up long.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk