Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Looking Into a 550

sure, for 20 bucks more i could have a whole measure. but I dont need the measure, nor do i want it taking up space in my limited space loading room.

I dont have any personal experience with the 550 in particular, but i do a lot of what a lot of people would consider small batch loading. i dont switch calibers or primer sizes often, but is is a small chore, but not that difficult, just somewhat time consuming, i dont know what its like on a 550, but im glad i went with my 650 over the 550.

It could be that the 550 is better for small batch stuff.from what i upgraded from, im glad i went 650 though.

that being said, for someone fresh into the reloading world, i wouldnt recommend a 650. a 550 max. I recommend starting on a lee turret. cheap, can be single stage, or auto indexing it can be actually pretty productive

Edited by nhyrum

What could be done is the roller bearing on the 750 could be removed and it could function without auto indexing to start with.

Both are great machines if I were to start over though i would go 550 again then add a 1100. I was only a few hundred short when I bought a loaded 650

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

On 1/9/2020 at 11:23 PM, nhyrum said:

sure, for 20 bucks more i could have a whole measure. but I dont need the measure, nor do i want it taking up space in my limited space loading room.

I dont have any personal experience with the 550 in particular, but i do a lot of what a lot of people would consider small batch loading. i dont switch calibers or primer sizes often, but is is a small chore, but not that difficult, just somewhat time consuming, i dont know what its like on a 550, but im glad i went with my 650 over the 550.

It could be that the 550 is better for small batch stuff.from what i upgraded from, im glad i went 650 though.

that being said, for someone fresh into the reloading world, i wouldnt recommend a 650. a 550 max. I recommend starting on a lee turret. cheap, can be single stage, or auto indexing it can be actually pretty productive

I started on a Lee Classic Turret and then went to a 650.

I'm glad I had the Turret experience before going to the 650 but many go straight there and are successful.

(If you went straight to a 650 it would help to have a mentor.)

I never considered the 550 after using the Turret as I didn't want to lose the auto-index.

I've since picked up an 1100 and again I'm glad I have the 650 knowledge to build off of.

I'm still quite new to the 1100 but so far I'm very happy I made the move. I have done the Ammobot automation conversion.

I'm not getting rid of the 650 as it will be easier to do smaller batches than the 650 and I like having the backup if anything goes wrong.

2 minutes ago, ddc said:

I started on a Lee Classic Turret and then went to a 650.

I'm glad I had the Turret experience before going to the 650 but many go straight there and are successful.

(If you went straight to a 650 it would help to have a mentor.)

I never considered the 550 after using the Turret as I didn't want to lose the auto-index.

I've since picked up an 1100 and again I'm glad I have the 650 knowledge to build off of.

I'm still quite new to the 1100 but so far I'm very happy I made the move. I have done the Ammobot automation conversion.

I'm not getting rid of the 650 as it will be easier to do smaller batches than the 650 and I like having the backup if anything goes wrong.

Ive done shotshell reloading for what it's worth on a progressive MEC it didn't auto index but I'm not entirely new to the reloading world. I'm kinda leaning to the 750 at this point. Sure there will be a learning curve but between loading shotshell for a couple years and YouTube I think I should be fine.

48 minutes ago, jschroep said:

Ive done shotshell reloading for what it's worth on a progressive MEC it didn't auto index but I'm not entirely new to the reloading world. I'm kinda leaning to the 750 at this point. Sure there will be a learning curve but between loading shotshell for a couple years and YouTube I think I should be fine.

Yes, with that you should be good to go. I was very happy with the 650 and I'm guessing I would like the 750 as well seeing as how they are so similar.

I've been a 550 user for the last 10 years and love it.   The numbers you plan on loading are perfect for a day or so of loading and that is taking your time.  You can take a rainy day each month and keep up with your demands.  I also recommend buying the 550 quick change kit and add dies and caliber change.  You are looking at $220 +- for each caliber conversion but treat yourself a couple times a year and you'll be quickly on your way.

I think the 550 is the workhorse of the Dillon line, especially if you want to reload multiple calibers in <400 round batches, or if you want to reload rifle rounds.

Between my single stage, 550, 650, and 1050; the 550 would be the last to go.  I love its simplicity and the rhythm using both hands to load is pretty natural.  I don't find it much slower than the 650/750 once all the ergonomic additions are accounted for.

The 650/750 needs a case feeder and really shines once you add a bullet feeder. But at that point caliber conversions get really pricey and I think it'd make more sense to jump to the full 1050/1100 experience.  The 550 and 1050/1100 is a really complimentary setup, so much so that I'm not sure why I'm keeping the 650 around.

Can anyone explain the "learning curve" warnings many write about when discussing the 650/750 or 1050/1100?

I started with a single stage press to reload 30-06 & 30-30 for my rifles and then "advanced" through Lee turret, progressive, Dillon 650 - 1050 and eventually added Ammobot. The only "learning curves" I found was understanding how different bullet, powder and brass worked in my guns and the mechanical aspects of each press. When I moved to the "Blue" line loading actually got much easier and with more consistent cartridge output. Not to mention all methods of reloading require the individual to develop disciplined "processes" to achieve the loads desired. Basically find our what works from dirty empty brass to the finished ready to shoot cartridges for your gun.

If one is not "mechanically inclined" then yes the progressive presses will seem a bit intimidating, especially when repairs are needed. But, there is so much help on line so jump in and enjoy the water.

BTW for precision long range rifle rounds I would still use a single stage press.

It's a great hobby!!!!

I'm kinda trying to figure out when to pull the trigger on the press. I wont have a gun to shoot 9 major until may-ish but would like to get the press earlier. I guess I just buy it for .223 and get it set up for that. Ill end up buying the conversion kit for 9 whenever it comes in i 'spose. A conversion is like $300 if I am thinking about it right. My problem is that I know I will end up wanting the 750 for 9 as that is the whole point of getting a press. But in the mean time I guess i might as well just load .223

I'm kinda trying to figure out when to pull the trigger on the press. I wont have a gun to shoot 9 major until may-ish but would like to get the press earlier. I guess I just buy it for .223 and get it set up for that. Ill end up buying the conversion kit for 9 whenever it comes in i 'spose. A conversion is like $300 if I am thinking about it right. My problem is that I know I will end up wanting the 750 for 9 as that is the whole point of getting a press. But in the mean time I guess i might as well just load .223

You can load 223 just fine on a 650. You just kinda have to do it in two batches really. Process the brass, via sizing and trimming, then loading. I know a number of guys that have a 1050 that all it does is process 223. Size, trim and swage. I don't THINK that a kit costs 300. About 80 for the conversion, dies, depending if you have them or not widely vary, and a feed plate, if you need it, and a toolhead. I don't think the entire quick changes are totally necessary, but they do speed up the changing process. For the bare minimum, it's really only about 150.

If you think you'll end up with a 750, then I say just get the 750 to start. It's always nice to be about to load faster/ more than you want or need, but it's a bear to be stuck in your room for far longer than you want to just to load what you want. You can always end up getting a 550,1050, or a different brand press, to do the processing

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

16 hours ago, nhyrum said:

You can load 223 just fine on a 650. You just kinda have to do it in two batches really. Process the brass, via sizing and trimming, then loading. I know a number of guys that have a 1050 that all it does is process 223. Size, trim and swage. I don't THINK that a kit costs 300. About 80 for the conversion, dies, depending if you have them or not widely vary, and a feed plate, if you need it, and a toolhead. I don't think the entire quick changes are totally necessary, but they do speed up the changing process. For the bare minimum, it's really only about 150.

If you think you'll end up with a 750, then I say just get the 750 to start. It's always nice to be about to load faster/ more than you want or need, but it's a bear to be stuck in your room for far longer than you want to just to load what you want. You can always end up getting a 550,1050, or a different brand press, to do the processing

Do they make dies for the 750 to trim and put a chamfer on the brass? Or do I need to do that all separately?

Do they make dies for the 750 to trim and put a chamfer on the brass? Or do I need to do that all separately?
You can put the Dillon trimmer on a 750. Most everyone recommends a Lyman m expanding die after, so you have to have two toolheads. One for sizing, trimming, and flaring, then a second one for powder drop and seat bullets