Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

IFG Lim Pro feeding probs

Awc2242

Just purchased an IFG Lim Pro 9mm from PD. Wondering if these guns prefer shorter loa. Im getting feed issues at 1.15. I initially had over-insertion issues with the stock mag bases but PD’s aluminum bases seemed to fix that. The gun seems to run better with 1.12 loa rounds but will still occasionally hang up. Running wolff 11lb recoil. 

Each gun may be slightly different, but the limit in TFs LF 9mm is the magazine. Normally about 1.15 is where the cartridges start to jam up in the 9mm mags. A bit longer with 40, but the same issue.  

I run 1.14 PD 147 RNFMJ and 1.13 ACME 147 FP with zero problems in the S2, and Limited Pro.

Polish the feed ramp of the barrel.

Chamfer bottom edge of breach face as pictured. Doesn't need much chamfer. Make sure chamfer is polished, and that rib with all the gold brass color rubbing on it is polished too.

Edited by Polymer

I performed all above recommendations and still having the issue. It is behaving like a weak recoil spring however, from what I see, many run 10lb recoil springs in the lim pro. I am running 11lb. I believe the stock spring is 14lb. 

I run an 8lb recoil spring in my LP and it runs smooth.

Check your crimp. There is the slight possibility you have too little crimp and the ammo is hanging up a bit on the edge of the brass. I had that happen in a 45acp carbine. The feed from magazine to the barrel is quite long and the edge of the brass would occasionally hang up as it fed. Eventually the solution was the crimp, not enough.

BTW I noticed a lot of brass on you slide rail. That’s not normal for the TF or any other pistol I’ve owned. It makes me suspect your ammo a bit more. Oops sorry that’s not your gun. No matter that, still something I don’t see in mine. 

Since you load your own, increase the crimp till it makes a mark/ring/dent on your bullet and then remove some till the ring/dent goes away or is so slight you hardly notice it.

Also my gun did not like the Brazo 147 bullets with that little step. Yes it made it easy to load a long OAL it’s just that step occasionally would hang on the barrel as it fed. 

Let us know what you find. Sure is frustrating!

Edited by HesedTech

I found another thread here that discusses recoil spring length. I’m going to research this a bit because the symptoms point in this direction. If this is my problem, PD AND Wolff sold me the wrong recoil springs. Will update...

Recoil spring length is an issue if spring is too long, as in using a long slide spring for a stock 2. You have a long slide gun so there shouldn't be an issue. When are you getting the failure to feed, how often per mag, is your ejector bent since you had mag over insertion issues?

The spring length can be the same between the S2, shorter barrel, and the Lim Pro, longer barrel. 
They did not sell you the wrong spring(s).  

Please let the forum know what bullet you are using and maybe post a picture of the finished cartridge. 

Check out Henning’s site. 

https://www.henningshop.com/Detail.aspx?PROD=1284664&CAT=9249

Edited by HesedTech

The spring length can be the same between the S2, shorter barrel, and the Lim Pro, longer barrel. 
They did not sell you the wrong spring(s).  

Please let the forum know what bullet you are using and maybe post a picture of the finished cartridge. 

Check out Henning’s site. 

https://www.henningshop.com/Detail.aspx?PROD=1284664&CAT=9249

The Henning page states:

Recoil springs are compatible with standard slides:  using a long slide recoil spring in a standard slide adds 2lbs pressure.  

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

1 hour ago, himurax13 said:

Recoil springs are compatible with standard slides:  using a long slide recoil spring in a standard slide adds 2lbs pressure.  

Yes that’s true.  The OP was not sold the wrong springs.

That’s why I posted the link. 

I’m not sure what your point is. 

Remove the slide. Keep the barrel, spring and guide rod in the slide. If you can push the guide rod to hit the recoil spring tunnel, you don't have spring bind.

If you have a long slide spring, in say a standard slide, and can contact the recoil spring tunnel you add 2 pounds.

Yes that’s true.  The OP was not sold the wrong springs.

That’s why I posted the link. 

I’m not sure what your point is. 

To clarify the 2 pound difference between the standard and longslide.

I have several 8# Longslide springs and 10# standard length springs. It is funny that they are all the same even though the lengths vary.

Sorry for delay in update. I made the following changes: filed/chamfered bottom if breach face and polished. Changed recoil spring to wolff 12 lb recoil spring. Installed henning flat trigger (has no impact on issue but wow, nice trigger). Today I shot an 8 stage IDPA match, approx 135 rounds, and had two malfunctions. In both cases, i was about half way through mag and had double feed. The round was fully chambered BUT, the slide was still back a bit. Enough to see the entire bottom of the round in the chamber. The bottom of the breach face was hitting the next round in the mag and locked way back. I’m guessing the slide slapped the round into the chamber. 

I thought the round was supposed to slide up the breach face as the slide pushes it forward and as it does, the extractor slides into the lip locking the round to the breach face until it is ejected. This did not happen both times. I was shooting 147 gn fmj 1.14-1.15 loa. 

As I previously wrote I own several TFs including the model you have and have not had your issues. 

Have you tried factory ammo?

Without seeing and running the gun in person it is hard to diagnose, but I think it’s the ammo. You said you did the recommended things but I have to ask did you “plunk” test your ammo? Do all the various head stamps you load pass?

Try a bunch of factory ammo and compare it to your loads. 

PROBLEM SOLVED!!

Polymer had the solution. Chamfering and polishing the bejesus out of the botton of the breach face solved it. The rough edge was scratching the on deck round as it was chambering the top round. Sometimes it would push it so far forward,  the extractor didnt grab it but instead, slapped it into chamber.. on deck round would come up and lock the slide back. I made some dummy rounds, racked them several times and was able to recreate.

So i filed, sanded and polished for 2 hours. 

Ran a couple hundred rnds practise and just shot our monday night match. Gun is running like a top!! Not only came in first place overall but was also 1st overall on all 4 stages. 58 shooters. Have 4 sanctioned matches in the next few months and am glad this issue is behind me. Thanks for advise. 

PROBLEM SOLVED!!
Polymer had the solution. Chamfering and polishing the bejesus out of the botton of the breach face solved it.

This is one of the many areas that I address whenever I perform an action/trigger job on any 1911, CZ75, or Tanfoglio.