Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Reloading Techniques For A Left Handed Shooter?

ArnisAndyz

Do you guys have any good tips for Lefty reloading? I usually keep my left hand in shooting position, finger off the trigger, supporting the weight of the gun by tucking the butt-stock under my left armpit, I tip the gun counter-clockwise to where the loading port is at 3 o'clock, and reload with my right hand. Living in a right handed world, I think most leftys adapt pretty good to ambidextrious operations (they probably use thier right hand more than right handers use thier left).

I guess I could do the opposite of what you right handers do and reload with my left hand, tipping the gun upsidedown in my right hand.

I'm right handed but load with the gun upside down in my right hand and stuff cartridges with my left hand. You can see the technique if you download the video clips from THIS THREAD on IPSC's Global Village. You will need to subscribe as a member first.

However, there is a lot to be said for Kurt Miller's loading technique which should serve you just as well as a left hander. Nobody would ever describe Kurt as slow! If you use the search facility you will find one or more discussions about loading techniques.

Thank you Neil! You are too kind, but I must point out that it isn't "my" technique. The first person I ever saw weak hand loading more than one at a time (Orange Gunsite doctrine) was Eddie Rhodes. This was back in the mid 90s. I use that technique, I champion that technique, but I DIDN'T invent it.

Now for lefties! My brother is left hand dominant, and is a loading wizzard weak handed...ah...er strong handed?? Well anyway he uses his right hand to load 3-4 at a time from the belt out of Choate carriers. He doesn't keep the gun at the shoulder when he loads, he kind of does what you do only not rotating the gun. I can't think of a match in recent history that he hasn't finished in the top 10, so It must work for a lefty as well. What is really amazing is that he uses a fairly stock 1100 sportmaster with an ez-loader cut down about half way, with almost no deburring or smoothing. Just think if he had a Benelli :D KURT

I have been shooting three-gun for some time and I shoot long guns left handed....yeah, I am one of those left eye dominant right handers! :D I like it because I shoot pistols right handed so it makes my belt less cluttered (pistol mags on the left, rifle on the right). Back to the question at hand. I pretty much load the exact same way you are describing with the rifle wedged in the crook of my arm (inside elbow) and the loading port at about 4-5 o'clock. I don't rotate much farther than that. Because I am dominate right handed, this is no problem for me. I usually load from the California Comp speed strippers on my belt (3-4 shells at a time). I haven't found a reason for a left handed shooter to roll the shotgun all the way over to reload. If anyone can see a reason why, please speak up. I am always looking to improve! My reloading is pretty fast because I miss alot :o , but I know it isn't fast enough.

Edwin

i think the easiest solution here is to tie your left arm to your body until you train your right arm to be dominate. :D

no really, i am rh'd and load shotgun the same way you desribe only with the other hand. i bring the gun off shoulder and rotate just enough to me to see the loading port and grab 4 off my belt at a time. when i shot open shotgun, i would use the speed loaders left handed also, unlike most righties that load with strong hand.

when it comes right down to it, it really doesn't matter what technic you use as long as you practice and are fluid with it. everyone here will tell you there technique works best, but that is for them.

• 1 month later...

I'm a lefty and tried about every technique and use the Cooley Flip...roll the gun with wrong hand and load with left using side saddle and arm band. I can average about 1.25 seconds per shell. You will have to try different techniques and find what works for you...the clock does not lie!

Adios

Greg

If you are using a right handed shotgun, I envy you. I shoot right handed and reload the same way you do, only backward. I really wish I had a left handed shotgun so the ejection port would be right in front of my face when reloading. Makes for a much faster bolt locked open reload, and for malfunction clearing. I would want to keep my right handed safety though.

A quick question for the experts. In the Remington 1100's does the left handed model also have a left handed safety?

Sgt,

The lefty 1100 has a lefty safety and it is easy to change the right hand 1100 to left.

I roll the gun when the bolt is open and drop a shell in from my rubber band on the receiver and drive on.

I had an opportunity to recieve a LH 1100 CM but the Remington rep asked me how long had I been shooting right hand guns....improvise, adapt.

• 1 month later...
If you are using a right handed shotgun, I envy you. I shoot right handed and reload the same way you do, only backward. I really wish I had a left handed shotgun so the ejection port would be right in front of my face when reloading. Makes for a much faster bolt locked open reload, and for malfunction clearing.

Being a lefty with a right handed shotgun is nice. Its really easy to open the port and drop one in with the right hand (usually because of a miss and I'm short 1 to finish the stage).

Thanks for everyones tips! Through trial and error (mostly error) I've decided on which is better for me...and I ended up doing both. For topping one or two off on the move I find loading with my right (off) hand to be faster because the shotgun stays more on target and easier to bring into play. If I shoot the gun dry its faster for me to flip the gun over and load with my strong hand because I have better coordination - and ALL of my focus is on filling'r up.

I think its important for a lefty limited shooter to have two methods. Seems like for us there are a lot more "180 trap" stages. My technique for moving forward or to the left involves rolling the but stock up onto my left sholder with the gate pointing up and reloading in a carlock shuffle style with the left hand. For loading while moving to the right, I use my left hand to turn the gun over and pass the gun into the crook of my right arm with the gate pointing up again and load with the left hand. You can do this as you pivot to the right and keep the muzzle in a safe direction the whole time. Both methods from racks onthe belt. Loading with the upside down gun really works for me cause I shoot a 590 which has a fully recessed gate. I can drop one shell in the chamber, put a second shell behind it, and push two in with the same stroke.

• 2 months later...

For those of you who dont know me, I am reallllly left handed. My right hand was pretty much blown off when I was 18 by a 12 gauge and although they put the fingers back, they dont actually bend much (particularly the middle one, which is a good conversation starter). I have to do everything left handed so roll the shotgun upside down and maintain right palm under receiver, load from arm bands. I am not real fast but not real slow either, I like seeing the shell go fully into the tube. ajm