Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

TTI 140mm 21 round 40sw mag issues

Nick_shoots_fast

I’m pretty sure this is spring related but I want to throw it out there. I literally used this mag 4 times max and it kept jamming up on me at a match. The first time it did it I thought I was riding the slide release and locked the gun up. The second time I did it, it was the mags fault. The top round didn’t pop up and was jammed up just below my feed ramp. The mag was tuned by myself before hand at .370 in the rear and .390ish in the front. This is what I have all my mbx mags at and has always worked. 

When I was unloading my mags at the end of the day I noticed that the spring pressure was really weak about half way thru the mag. The rounds were also very slowly “pooping up” which means it’s a spring issue. This was odd to me seeing that the mag was practically brand new. I got this mag so I can load 21+1 at the line but was shocked when problems came up.  When I take the base pad off, I have 3 coils showing past the end of the mag. 

I got this mag as a complete TTI system. TTI spring, TTI follower and TTI base pad on the new STI mags. 

Anyone else confirm my issue?  Pissed that I have to buy a brand new spring for my brand new magazine! 

email TTI and explain the problem with your new mag.  They will make it right.  However, they may not get back to you for a week or so, because of problems associated with thr CA wild fires.  BTW, it sound more like a mag body problem, not a spring.

2 hours ago, zzt said:

email TTI and explain the problem with your new mag.  They will make it right.  However, they may not get back to you for a week or so, because of problems associated with thr CA wild fires.  BTW, it sound more like a mag body problem, not a spring.

one thing I will never understand is the mag issue. It’s almost 2020! Why hasn’t anyone came out with a reliable magazine?!

12 minutes ago, Atlasguy321 said:

one thing I will never understand is the mag issue. It’s almost 2020! Why hasn’t anyone came out with a reliable magazine?!

They have.  My MBX mags ran flawlessly for the last four seasons.  I was perfectly happy with an easily reloadable 20 +1 in 40sw.  Same with 25 and 29 in my 9mm mags.  I have never understood the obsession with getting one extra round in a mag, especially if it affects reliability.  I literally cannot think of a stage I've shot that I would shoot differently if I could start with 21 +1, or 30 +1.  I'm more likely to underload a mag so I can drop it with only 3-4 rounds left in it.

3 hours ago, zzt said:

They have.  My MBX mags ran flawlessly for the last four seasons.  I was perfectly happy with an easily reloadable 20 +1 in 40sw.  Same with 25 and 29 in my 9mm mags.  I have never understood the obsession with getting one extra round in a mag, especially if it affects reliability.  I literally cannot think of a stage I've shot that I would shoot differently if I could start with 21 +1, or 30 +1.  I'm more likely to underload a mag so I can drop it with only 3-4 rounds left in it.

wouldn’t have minded a 21 round mag at nationals and I just shot 2 21 round stages (both a different clubs) that a 21 round mag could have opened up a few options so..there’s that..lol

also at area 8 This year there was a 20 round stage, all paper that would have been nice to have 22 in the gun. 

on the flip side I did call TTI and they have great customer service!  I told the lady I was gonna try a few things out first. She said if that doesn’t work they will fix it for free. Glad to see there’s companies that will fix their own problems. 

Edited by Atlasguy321

I run TTI everything is all my mags. It could be a follower drag issue. Check the follower and if it is the super thin follower, check to see that the small point that is for the slide catch is not dragging. To make sure I dont have that issue, I shave mine down. I have ever only had 1 mag that did the same. With about 8 rounds left in the mag it would drag. I shaved the small tab off and have never had another issue.