Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

What Is Major Nine?

lucas

1000 38 super brass = $100

1000 9mm = $10

Note that this is new (.38 Super-ish) vs. "once" fired brass (9mm). New 9mm is going to be in the same $90-100 price range.

I know a lot of folks are shooting Major 9x19 in used brass, and are having success at it. Knowing the pressures involved in a racegun to make major are pretty high (like, rifle pressure), it makes me a little bit concerned using unknown brass. I, personally, would not trust brass I couldn't guarantee was only once fired - but that's me. YMMV.

Perhaps, but not backed up by real-world experience. Major9 is not blowing up guns at the 165 PF. Some guys are even trying & succeeding with 115 grn bullets & once-fired brass (I wouldn't, but that is me). If there were evidence of case seperations, I might shy away from Major9. ANyone have any evidence?

I personally do not. Like I said, it concerns me and I would not personally choose Major 9 w/ random once fired brass, personally. That doesn't mean it isn't perfectly safe or anything else - perhaps that I'm just a bit conservative with my safety margins.... ;) ie, I would not benefit from cheap brass, cause I'd be buying it new anyway....

Edited by XRe

Some guys are even trying & succeeding with 115 grn bullets & once-fired brass

How did you know that's what I shot at York last weekend?? We need to go fun shooting together (or beer drinking) sometime and discuss some of these things. ;)

Major 9 was fine at 175+ PF back in 1990, it's even finer at 165+ in 2005. Anyone remember the P9? 9x21 is 9x19 and the PF was 175+ back then. Been around along time. Nothin' new here. Nothin' unsafe here either. Same as .38 Stupor, just be careful, it's all overpressure in the first place ;-)