Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

9mm Brass Sorting

kryo

As a college student I spend some of my free time away from class processing brass. (I do not reload) I was curious on how everyone else processes their brass and some things to look out for. So far I organize by head stamp; Federal, Remington, Winchester, Blazer, hornady, speer, and everything else I leave mixed. (I organize due to the possibility of eventually selling it off) Anything cracked or busted ends up in a scrap pile. I also remove all nato and other crimped brass. Is there anything I'm forgetting? Is there any use in crimped brass?

You may be able to save yourself a step. With pistol brass it seems most people are less picky than they are with rifle brass. If you look on the brass sales pages most pistol brass is sold by weight with mixed headstamps. Just removing the crimped casings might be enough. Just a thought if your end goal is to sell it.

The only thing I would say is get a good magnet so you can pull steel(and berden primed cases in some cases from what i've read)

If your selling it  just sell it. People sell them .02 each. Unsorted

If you pull the crimped/and stepped cases you may get a couple bucks a thousand more but its not really worth it. Unless your talking tons of brass

If you're headstamp sorting so that you can one day load specific cases I would still sell it and buy from someone who has an optical sorter unless you have a lot of excess time on your hands. Headstamp sorting for me is only done for precision rifle.