Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Low

konkapot

When working an aggressive target or array I find myself with a lot of low charlies, the occasional low C/D pair, or even a C/M. Only happens when I'm approaching max rpms. 

Shooting open. New to open, not new to the sport. 

Is this a simple matter of poor dot placement or something related to the gun/spring combo. Ammo is about 172pf, spring is 8lbs. 

Not uncommon, especially when reaching top speed as you mentioned. If you are doing A, then low C it’s usually a matter of crunching the trigger due to speed and not getting a good pull. If you are going low C, low C or low C and then D or M, then it’s an aiming issue with the dot and then some trigger crunch. My suggestions: try shooting 5 or 6 shots as fast as you can on one target and do it until mostly As or a C or two to the side (but not low). This will force following the dot and making sure you have a very tight grip (you said you are not new to the sport, but when we go at high speeds the grip sometimes loosens up to be able to manipulate the trigger faster. Stay tight with the support hand, keep the strong hand more relaxed). Once the hits are good on this drill, then work in another target to transition to. So, 2-3 rapid shots on one target and then transition to the second and do the same. This will tell you in you need to get a better sight picture on the first target or the transition is what’s tripping you up.

Now, it “could” be a timing issue based on your load and spring, but 8-10lb spring with that PF should not cause low hits. However, every open gun is a bit different.

I shoot open, 9mm Major, customer shorty (4.25in barrel) 2011 with 6 ports and 10lb variable recoil spring. Load is 124g JHP over 7.0gr of WAC with OAL of 1.168-1.170. PF is 171.

Good luck!

I have the same issue as the OP. I have a lot of C’s and D’s low and slightly to the left. This was very frustrating an cost points during a match. I discovered 2 drills through Ben Stoeger class I am doing. These 2 drills that have helped me make marked improvement. One is Ben Stoeger Double Drill the other is a dry fire drill to develop trigger control at speed.

Doubles is a simple live fire drill. Put a target at 5-7 yards and fire pairs of aimed shots as fast as you can. Don’t worry about draw speed, you need to focus on sights and pulling the trigger straight back. Be careful that you don’t turn this drill into a Bill Drill. It should be something like Bang, bang - pause - bang, bang - pause, etc.

Trigger control at speed is a great dry fire drill and was a huge eye opener. Set your timer on random point your firearm at a blank wall or target and when the timer beeps pull the trigger before the deep ends and watch your sights. For me, doing this drill I saw my dot going low and slightly left.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Do the doubles drill and Kim’s measurement drill and then correct accordingly would be my suggestion in my non-expert opinion.  Maybe you are actively pushing the gun down because you used to have to do that with a non-compensated gun?

Thanks guys for all of the above. 

Joe that gun/load is almost exactly what I'm running....same powder, same everything. 

In live fire sessions I work a lot of partials and tough transitions, but very little aggressive work.