Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Recommendations For Flat-shooting 9mm

Zak Smith

I've acquired a more or less complete SV short-dustcover double-stack lower. My plan is to get an upper in 9mm for all those "outlaw" 3Gun matches, and the field-style tac rifle/sniper matches. It'll be riding in a holster a lot, so it can't be real heavy or huge. Fixed sights and it can't be ported.

I'd like it to be as flat- and quick-shooting as possible, digesting factory Walmart 9mm, Win NATO, and moderate to pumped up reloads.

Who has suggestions for the configuration of the upper?

(I already have a proper "Limited 40" -- SV/long-wide, etc.)

Edited by Zak Smith

What does internal lightening entail?

One way to accomplish this is to take metal out of the area around the firing pin in the area rear of the breech face. I'd suggest that you send the frame to John Brandstatter and tell him what you want, he'll have plenty of suggestions about how to make it happen.

I'd go 5" standard profile slide, with a bushing barrel - internal slide lightening is an option, if desired, but not required - as stated.

With a bushing barrel now you have a gun legal for IDPA, and some of the other "tactical" games that don't like Bull barrels, and if you need more weight just stick in a tungsten guide rod, about the same effect as a bull barrel more or less.

KISS.

I like Caspian slides so I would use on of those. Great for durability. Nowlin (Bull) or Kart Barrel (bushing). Aftec extractor. STI Titanium firing pin. How about Bomar or Wilson combat rear sights. I really like adjustable rear sights. The real question is the front sight. If you like fiber optic than Dawson is great but sometimes I do not want to see the fiber as much so I switched to Brazos. That way I can have just alittle fiber for the near and fast and a lot of black for the hard shots.

Sights will be black/black fixed Heinies for simplicity and durability.

Is there any advantage to internal lightening over external (e.g. Fat Free configuration)?

EGW built me a 5" caspian slide 9mm with SVI frame. No slide lightening was necessary at all. Run a 10# spring and use Winchester WB ammo.

SVI mags feed 9mm like butter. Use standard SV tubes, followers and springs. Grams or other fancy springs are not necessary. You will want good lo-profile alloy mag pads. I like the ones from relic custom in Australia the best. They are for the 126mm mags.

I did not use a bull barrel or guide rod (or mag well) as I wanted the gun light and fast and it certainly is.

Edited by Anthony Lombardo

There is no advantage of internal vs external lightening of the slide other then you can't see the internal lightening when the pistol is assembled.

The only advantage of external lightening vs internal, other then price, is you have more options as to where to remove the weight to better control the balance point.

Just curious, why build a 9mm on a SV frame? If its about capacity just snag a SP-01 or Para and you have 19+1. The SP-01 would proabably cost you less then the slide alone. If you just like the SV frame and ergonomics, then by all means go to town :)