Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Canik springs questions

B_RAD

1. Is the recoil spring and striker spring the same in the TP9 and the Walthers?

2. Would a TTI reduced striker spring work until he TP9?

3. would a gen 4 tungsten guide rod with an 13# ISMI spring work in the TP9?

It’s what I have. I’ll order other springs and parts but wanting to do a little testing with what I’ve got at the moment if it’ll work. 

thanks

Update for anyone interested. 

I installed the gen 4 tungsten guide rod with a 13# ismi spring. I also installed a Glock gen 4 stock striker spring. Lock up is good. Slide stays in battery. Ignition was 100%. Every round chambered. I think you gotta shoot 124 gr though. Got a couple failure to ejects with 147’s. Gun is also new so maybe after som time it’ll break in a little better. I’m just gonna go with 124’s since bullet weight is irrelevant as long as the gun shoots accurately. 

trigger pull is currently just under 4#. It’s pretty crisp and reset is positive and very short. I’m not changing the trigger return spring. I will try a Glock reduced power striker and a striker block springs. I also ordered a freedomsmith pro trigger. 

I really like this gun. 

Thanks for the info.

For my Canik TP9Sfx I use the sprinco recoil system and reduced power FP spring. This gives me a very reliable pistol with a very crisp 3.5 pound trigger. I haven’t replaced the FP block spring, my understanding is that will also reduce the trigger pull weight. I’m happy with the way it is.

I also installed the freedom smith trigger added a 2mm split ring on the trigger return spring. Now this Canik has the best trigger for a striker fire pistol I have personally tried. Mine will reliable shoot 147 grain coated Bullets on top of 3.2 grains of Sport Pistol.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 hour ago, RAP said:

Thanks for the info.

For my Canik TP9Sfx I use the sprinco recoil system and reduced power FP spring. This gives me a very reliable pistol with a very crisp 3.5 pound trigger. I haven’t replaced the FP block spring, my understanding is that will also reduce the trigger pull weight. I’m happy with the way it is.

I also installed the freedom smith trigger added a 2mm split ring on the trigger return spring. Now this Canik has the best trigger for a striker fire pistol I have personally tried. Mine will reliable shoot 147 grain coated Bullets on top of 3.2 grains of Sport Pistol.

What does the split ring do?  

Because of the geometry of the Freedom Smith trigger it stretches the return spring putting additional tension on the spring. By adding a 2mm split ring it adds additional length to the spring allowing it to return to its normal relaxed length. If I was home I would take a picture to show.

Just now, RAP said:

Because of the geometry of the Freedom Smith trigger it stretches the return spring putting additional tension on the spring. By adding a 2mm split ring it adds additional length to the spring allowing it to return to its normal relaxed length. If I was home I would take a picture to show.

Thanks. Where can I get one?

Usually at bass pro/ Cabelas some fishing supply store. Amazon has a zillion. I went to my tackle box and took a small split ring from an old fishing lure.

Did you cut any coils off the the recoil spring? You may need to cut the spring down a little bit.

Put a piece of tape on the slide and on the frame, with the slide held all the way to the rear (factory guide rod/spring installed) mark both pieces of tape. Next install the Glock guide rod/recoil spring and see if you can get the marks on the tape to line up. Coil bind could be limiting slide travel to the rear.

My current set up:

Stainless Gen 3 Glock guide rod with Gen 4 adapter ring (turned down a few thou to fit into the slide)  

#13 recoil spring with part of a coil cut off 

Cajun reduced power FP block spring,

Glock reduced power striker spring (can't remember the weight off hand)

FreedomSmith Pro waiting to be installed to replace the current Fat Daddy. Lost wayyy to much time fighting the trigger safety while trying to go fast. 

I'll add the split ring when I change out trigger shoes. 

Runs awesome. Had some light strikes with WWB 124 NATO but I don't like that stuff anyway.

Good luck and enjoy!

36 minutes ago, Cam73 said:

Did you cut any coils off the the recoil spring? You may need to cut the spring down a little bit.

Put a piece of tape on the slide and on the frame, with the slide held all the way to the rear (factory guide rod/spring installed) mark both pieces of tape. Next install the Glock guide rod/recoil spring and see if you can get the marks on the tape to line up. Coil bind could be limiting slide travel to the rear.

My current set up:

Stainless Gen 3 Glock guide rod with Gen 4 adapter ring (turned down a few thou to fit into the slide)  

#13 recoil spring with part of a coil cut off 

Cajun reduced power FP block spring,

Glock reduced power striker spring (can't remember the weight off hand)

FreedomSmith Pro waiting to be installed to replace the current Fat Daddy. Lost wayyy to much time fighting the trigger safety while trying to go fast. 

I'll add the split ring when I change out trigger shoes. 

Runs awesome. Had some light strikes with WWB 124 NATO but I don't like that stuff anyway.

Good luck and enjoy!

I’ll test it. I haven’t cut any coils off. 

I like the gun. Mags aren’t dropping free like I want them to. Probably will take some sandpaper to the inside of the grip. 

On 11/12/2019 at 4:03 PM, B_RAD said:

I’ll test it. I haven’t cut any coils off. 

I like the gun. Mags aren’t dropping free like I want them to. Probably will take some sandpaper to the inside of the grip. 

There's these two ridges on each side of the magwell that you will need to sand or file down to have your magazines consistently drop freely.

On 11/11/2019 at 11:09 AM, RAP said:

Did you mean a #2 instead of a 2mm?

2 hours ago, RAP said:

Sorry, yes 2/0 split ring. The picture shows where the split ring goes. 02b02d3ba568b7325f2c93aa272f3111.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Sorry but I’m still confused. I went to bass pro and the had them listed by numbers. I didn’t see anything called a 2/0?

I seen #1 - #6. 

I am very sorry for the confusion. I measured mine and its diameter measured 4.28 mm. I was told by a guy at Cabela’s it was a #2/0 (2 ought) I looked on Bass Pro’s website and they show this to be a #1. Forgive me for steering you wrong. Go with #1 split ring at Bass Pro.

38 minutes ago, RAP said:

I am very sorry for the confusion. I measured mine and its diameter measured 4.28 mm. I was told by a guy at Cabela’s it was a #2/0 (2 ought) I looked on Bass Pro’s website and they show this to be a #1. Forgive me for steering you wrong. Go with #1 split ring at Bass Pro.

No problem. That’s the one I got. 

Cool! I think your gonna really like the Freedom Smith trigger. BTW, I have 8,000 rounds though my Canik TP9Sfx. I have had zero malfunctions from the gun. My 1 and only malfunction was caused from a dirt filled magazine that I knew I should of cleaned before my next stage but I didn’t.

Shot a match today. I like the gun. Like the trigger a lot. 

The two ribs need some more attention. One of my mags drops free but my other two do not. They swell up when loaded and hang up. 

I probably need to go back to a 13lb spring. I was running an 11lb and think the slide came out of battery just a little when running really hard. I had two light strikes on my last stage.