Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Man on man! What a day!

First the live primers exploding in my vacuum incident.

Now this!

I was in the living room on the cordless with my brother. My Rainbory Lory parrot in the other room was shrieking like crazy. Maybe a little louder than normal. So I'm yacking at my brother and helping him with his computer woes. As I yell at the bird to shut up and go to cover her up I look down and here is a little red/orange snake striking at me!!!!

Let's just say the asspucker factor was at 15 out of 10!

I know enough about snakes to see that it was a baby cornsnake (1' 3-4"), but folks you just don't expect these kinda things...

So I mumble to my brother "Snake in room, gotta go!" and hangup on him...

All is ok now, snake is in container, co-worker in Calgary here is a snake breeder and has offered to come pick it up after his gym workout tonight (not soon enough for me!).

I live in an apartment building, and reptiles are not allowed.

How should I go about this situation? Report? Freak out?

The funny part is I was cleaning (vacuum incident) today because there is a IPSC match in town this weekend and 3 buddies are crashing here. Shit, I'm terrified to sleep in my own bed tonight. I'd probably wake up with another snake curled up in my crotch. Let's just say this is a freaking nightmare for me.

Lumpy

p.s. Co-worker is returning my dig camera tonight. Shall I post a pic of the killer snake?

Pat,

let me tell ya, I jumped about 2' back and probably let out a squeal... Talk about big baby, that's me!

No name for him other than "Gone". My co-worker gave it away to a loving family. The original owners. whomever they are, won't be seeing it again...

The only good to come of this is I negotiated a lower rent for the year because of the heartfelt trauma I was subjected too. :-)

Salesman at his best... :-)

Lumpy, you're cracking me up!  

The way you spelled "sanke" reminded me of something that happened last summer.  My wife is deathly afraid of snakes and has been known to shoot the place up pretty bad over just a small one.   I was walking back from the range one afternoon and she came running out of the barn screaming at the top of her lungs.  I was still about 200 yds away, and all I could make out was "S.....K!!,  S....K".   I was packing my HBAR and still had a few rounds left, so I headed for the barn at high speed.   As I got closer she yelled, from a safe distance,  "it's in the tack room".   A few seconds later I kicked the tack room door open to discover that the "S....k"   she was yelling about was actually a SKUNK!!!!   I paused for an instant and then thought what the hell, ...... I let him have it.        

For any of you who have never been tempted to do CQB with a skunk,  a high powered rifle isn't the weapon of choice.  And the gas really IS green.   :)  

-Sam

Lumpy:

I can relate. The guys in our local club got a hell of a kick out of my little run in with a Rattlesanke. I opened the door on the storage shed and stepped inside. The shed was cool and it was reaching over 100 degrees outside during the day. I had an arm full of 2x4 wall studs that I planned on building props with. When I stepped in, I heard the Rattlesnake rattle and I about wet my pants. I could see the floor was clear of reptiles in the middle of the room so I took a giant step toward the clear area as the freaking sanke bit me on the heel of my boot. When he let go he slithered up against the wall and I took to him/her/it with a 2x4 wall stud. When I got done I stood there shaking like a leaf in a hurricane with a tooth pick in my hands...splinters all over the room. My hands, shoulders, and elbows hurt for a month...

Geeze Ron,  he only kissed your boot heel!  To a rattler thats like givin' you a high five and sayin',  hey bro' WHAZZZZUP!!!   Couldn't you see that the little guy was only funnin'?    (I hate to think what that shed would have looked like if he had really let go and nailed you on the ass!)    :)    Seriously though, I'm glad he missed you.  

OK, that reminds me of another story......... About 10 years ago I was up in LaBonte Canyon, too high up for rattlers I've been told.   I was comming down a steep slope in loose rock sorta walkin', sorta slidin' my way down.   A rattler buzzed from a sagebrush about 2 feet away from my feet and it scared me so bad I fell on my arse right next to it.   I was alone and a long way from help and I JUST KNEW I WAS BIT!  (Funny how that stuff runs through your head in about 1/2 second.)  So, I yanked my .41 SA Ruger and smoked one at the sage bush anyway.  After I got myself gathered up and checked for holes, (my ears were still ringing) I poked around and found the snake........he looked to be deader'n Elvis.    There wasn't a scratch on him and I'm not sure if the muzzle blast killed him or just knocked him out.  I didn't feel like hanging around to find out.  I don't drink often, but it sure gave me a craving for an ice-cold beer.  Cheers!  -Sam