Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Remington Versa Max Competition POA/POI way off

3gunNoob

Just purchased Versa Max Comp 10/31/19. Went through some testing and it ran great. HOWEVER, Slugs at 40 yards 8” HIGH and 8” RIGHT  3 times with 2 shots at a time!!!! WTF. HAS ANYONE HEARD OF POI BEING OFF THIS BAD.

To prove it I hit a clay aiming 8 low and 8 left. (All done with Benchrest). Is it the XS .rear sight ....Is it my barrel

I did this testing before sending it to Triangle shooting sports. 

Need Ideas to chase down. To spooked to think clearly. I do love XS rear because of quick sight acqusition.

3 hours ago, 3gunNoob said:

Is it the XS .rear sight ....Is it my barrel

Probably both.

the sight can be drifted to correct for windage.  As for elevation you will either need a taller  front sight, or A lower rear.  I had the same problem even with the shortest  rear sight.  

Someone (Patrick Kelley, I believe) posted about filing the V notch deeper with a rat tail file.  So that’s what I did.  Had to file it down flush with the rib. 

The gun store that I buy from actually returned my versa comp to the dealer and got another one for me. This one was a jam-o-matic. Now he’s sending that one back and getting me a third. I’m praying the third time’s a charm.

He has a customer for life. Who does this?

I’m just curious where he’s getting the guns. I never in my life have had this much trouble with a firearm. My Mossberg JM Pro worked first time and every time.

Not to be that guy, but Remington shotguns have issues. I would buy either a Benelli M2 or a new Beretta 1301 Comp. I have one of the 1301's shot thousands of rounds though it. It runs every time with minimal cleaning and hits POA at 100 yds with slugs. I do have XS sights on it.

So I am waiting for the third versa comp to arrive. I have one question. On the first two, I removed that metal plug and end cap. Added +2 extension and tested the gun. If I shoot it without +2, do I leave that metal plug in mag tube with end cap.

1 hour ago, 3gunNoob said:

So I am waiting for the third versa comp to arrive. I have one question. On the first two, I removed that metal plug and end cap. Added +2 extension and tested the gun. If I shoot it without +2, do I leave that metal plug in mag tube with end cap.

Most shotguns have a 'plug' limiting you to two rounds in the mag tube + one in the chamber. It is a hunting thing. Without the plug you should hold 5 rounds + 1.

• 2 weeks later...

Well, I received the 3rd versa max comp and it’s great FINALLY. Approximately 200 rounds and no hiccup.

Gonna send it to Triangle to get the list done.

1) C-Rums welded extended lifter.

2) 12 shot tube.

3) Loading port

4) Radius Cut on extractor

5) Tweek and polish shell stop

6) Handguard cut down. I have a question on this cut. I load left hand weak load and shells 3&4 go to the side of port so I need that side cut down for quads. Do they do that? My thumb goes past port at 12 o’clock but the shells go past port at 3 o’clock .

So I’m finally getting what I’ve been enviously reading for the last 3 months. Gonna send it soon. I’ll post pictures when I get it back.

Actually, that’s a good question. I think the newer lifters are different than the older ones. There is a hump on the end that I don’t want but the leading edge of the lifter is straight across. I think the C-Rums lifter has no hump but not sure if he extends it. Can anyone out there chime in please.

On 11/20/2019 at 11:51 AM, 3gunNoob said:

Well, I received the 3rd versa max comp and it’s great FINALLY. Approximately 200 rounds and no hiccup.

Gonna send it to Triangle to get the list done.

1) C-Rums welded extended lifter.

2) 12 shot tube.

3) Loading port

4) Radius Cut on extractor

5) Tweek and polish shell stop

6) Handguard cut down. I have a question on this cut. I load left hand weak load and shells 3&4 go to the side of port so I need that side cut down for quads. Do they do that? My thumb goes past port at 12 o’clock but the shells go past port at 3 o’clock .

So I’m finally getting what I’ve been enviously reading for the last 3 months. Gonna send it soon. I’ll post pictures when I get it back.

The Tooth and nail armoury foreend is excellent for quad loading strong or weak hand.

• 3 weeks later...

So my versa max comp is at Triangle shooting sports. Can’t wait to get it back.

question. I looked up the Nordic MXT nut for a +4 and the They call for the  mossberg nut. It’s good news because my other gun is a mossberg with the nut. I’m concerned on why and is the thread gonna fit ok. Has anyone else done this?

Edited by 3gunNoob

• 3 weeks later...

Had the same POA/POI issues with mine. Even got it tuned up by Roth Performance, and it was still garbage. Got so fed up with it that I gave up and went for the Taran Tactical Benelli M2. Worlds better gun in fit, feel, and accuracy. 

There's a reason why almost every top multigun shooter runs a Benelli or Breda (Benelli clone); they're just better guns.