Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Which Upper Receiver?

Chuck Merriam

I am gathering for a new 3 gun upper and want to get some input on the (no forward assist) receiver. I have a JP 18" Supermatch barrel on the way with the Low mass stainless inerds...I have a nice Carbon fiber FF handguard...so the only thing left is the receiver. I have been considering the DPMS Triple Rail or something you guys think might be cooler/better. B)

Thanks,

Chuck

Which one are you looking at? "Tri-Mount Flattop" (FTT-02) ? It seems like it always has the FA, but you can but it stripped and put in your own (FTT-01). I was looking at the 'normal' Hi-Rider, but have yet to try one, to see if it migt be too high.

I think it really just matters how your sight picture is.

For coolness, I think the open flattop looks better :) The Tri, looks a little bulky.

We are not ignoring you, it just sometimes takes a few days to get an answer on some questions.

I have no experience with the DPMS Triple Rail. It does look bulky and too high for a good low scope mount to me. The A3 and the Lo-Pro seem like a better 3 gun choices because the rail is low and fast ;-) DPMS is a good vendor choice for the support they put back into the sport and the quality of their stuff.

I do wonder why you are not just getting a JP upper receiver since you are useing mostly JP parts. In fact, why not just buy a pre-built JP upper with their handguard and enjoy a bolt-on formula 1 race machine.

--

Regards,

Edited by George

For me, the rail on a flattop needs to be as low as possible (allowing for scope objective clearance of course). With the ACOG I run, or anything without clearance issues, the lower, the better :-)

If the center of the optic is right at the same height as iron sights, then your cheek weld and positions will be transferrable to iron sighted AR's (which I shoot sometimes).

I also prefer handguard mounted secondary sights as they are lower and closer to the bore than anything on a receiver rail which decreases the need for holdovers on close up targets.

Hope this all helps.

--

Regards,

Basically, everything that George said. If you really want to get a great receiver, but don't mind the coin, JP's upper receiver that's designed to accept ACOG scopes is the heat. No additional mounting adapter and as previously stated, gets the optics as close to the bore as possible. Plus, I think it's at a height that co-witness flip up irons, but I'm honestly not sure.

My 3-Gun rifle (and actually my duty rifle), when setup for Tactical Scope, is a flat-top M4 with a TA01NSN and flip up irons. It's great for everything!

I'll check out the new DPMS upper though. Too, between JP and DPMS you cannot go wrong. John Paul and Randy give so much to our sport, it's easy for us to go with them for that alone. But, the fact is, between the two of them, they have the best equipment too!

Good luck,

SPC Richard A. White, Senior Medic

249th MP Detachment (EACF)

Camp Humphreys, ROK