Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

115 grn blue bullets for open gun

Glock17open

I have been shooting 125 grain blue bullets for about two years now will great results.  I have recently started to consider the 115's, to tame the recoil a bit and hopefully make the gun shoot flatter.  I have ordered a 250 round sample pack to test them out.  I am would like to know if anyone has experience with the 115's and could give me some imput and advise with this bullet.

I presume you're shooting Major ?

Two thoughts:  

1.  I wouldn't use any bullets in Major unless the base was completely sealed - no lead exposed - I like the JHP's

2.  Using a 115 gr bullet offers advantages, especially in producing more gas to make the comp work better, BUT

lots of use the 124's because the 115's take so much powder they fill the tiny 9mm cases and they tend to

spill when reloading.

Good luck - certainly worth a try, and see if you prefer the 115's.    :) 

I only shoot 115 JHPs for major.  I bought 2000 124 JHPs to try them out, but didn't manage to develop a load I liked.  My gun runs two 3/16" poppels and a 4-chamber, 5-port comp, so I need a lot of gas.  I run 10.2gr Major Pistol under my 115s.

Whether you will like 115s is an open question.  It depends on your gun, your load, and how you want the gun to feel when shooting.  If you already have a lot of gas jetting out the front of the comp, you will definitely not like 115s.  If your comp is not being 'worked' fully, 115s will be softer and flatter.  Powder choice is a big factor.  If you are currently using fast (for Open) powders like WAC and Silhouette, you can make more gas by going to HS-6 (dirty), AA7 or Major Pistol.  Stay away from VV powders.  You'll have capacity problems with 115s in a 9mm case.

I ran the blue bullets 115’s in my super for a few years without problem

compared to jhp they do smoke a little, but I never noticed it when I was shooting, and they do lead up the comp a little, about the same as fmj, but swabbing it with kroil after every session kept the buildup to a minimum 

i also started with the blue 125’s but to get my gun to shoot flat I was pushing it to about 178-180pf then I switched 115’s kept the same powder charge, the gun still made major, still shot flat and  coincidentally was the same load as my 124 jhp which made it easy to switch when going to a major