Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

TS 40 Feeding Issue

The-S

On a whim, I decided to give CZ a try and ended up with a pretty nice rig.  Purchased factory TS mags, CZC basepads, springs and followers.  Had to tweak the springs to keep the followers inside the tubes.  I planned on trying Syntech ammo (will be delivered next week) but today I snagged some WWB to throw down the tube.  I loaded up a magazine and hand cycled it through the gun.  I found it loads like complete garbage.  Hangs up constantly.  My feed ramp is like glass already.  My magazines all lock the slide back on empty which shocked me and the projectiles seem to sit correctly on the followers. Wondering if this is a tuning issue or more of a bullet issue?   Thanks in advance.  

It’s a tight chamber. I had that issue with my handloads. I added just a little more crimp and it went away.

That said, white box is the worst. I see more problems with that s#!t than anything. Try different ammo, and actually firing the gun.

I like the CZC extensions, but I don’t like their springs and base pads. I put Grams spring and followers in and it was 100%.

In my experience, CZ factory mags run great out of the box.  I also run CZC extensions and Grams guts, which are also 100% reliable.  Never tried CZC extensions + guts, so can't comment on that combo. 

From the looks of the feeding picture, the OAL of the ammo may be too long for the CZ.  CZs (in .40) will like an OAL of around 1.12 to 1.13. 

In contrast I can run my 2011 (.40) rounds out to 1.15 to 1.16 and still feed 100%.

I've run 10s of thousands of rounds through my TS, and only had two feed issues.  Both were caused by split cases that I missed, so the bullet set back and jammed.  Other wise, perfect.  I use CZ springs mostly, with the stock followers and CZC extended base pads.  I also use CZC springs and followers.  Eventually, the CZC springs will take a set and not push the follower up high enough to lock the slide back on empty.  They are also weaker than the stock TS mag springs.

The key is OAL.  There were a bunch of TS shooters at the club before I bought mine.  I was told that if I loaded to 1.126" OAL, I'd never have a feeding issue regardless of bullet profile.  They were right.

BTW, when hand cycling it is important to pull the slide back far enough that your fingers slide off the back.  Otherwise, you delay the slide and it does not reach the speed it does when cycling after firing.

1 hour ago, muncie21 said:

Looking to understand your comment. 

Lose capacity as compared to what?

Compared to CZC spring and followers. The OP has CZC basepads, they have a second piece of metal inside the BP for the tool-less disassembly feature. The CZC followers are thinner than Grams for a reason. I can squeeze 21+1 using Springer extensions and CZC spring/follower combo. I have Grams kits sitting here in front of me, the Grams kits lose capacity.

2 hours ago, 858 said:
I took out my grams kits. They are not better and you will lose capacity. 

Edit: I hadn't seen your response...

I get 20 in mine. If you’re getting 21, that’s cool, I have one CZC spring and follower that will do it, but I don’t care about one more round, reliability is more important to me. I just make sure I don't run out of rounds.

Edited by loaded605

59 minutes ago, 858 said:

Compared to CZC spring and followers. The OP has CZC basepads, they have a second piece of metal inside the BP for the tool-less disassembly feature. The CZC followers are thinner than Grams for a reason. I can squeeze 21+1 using Springer extensions and CZC spring/follower combo. I have Grams kits sitting here in front of me, the Grams kits lose capacity.

Agree, if you're using 21 as the baseline, then Grams would be a decrease in capacity as I'm only getting 20 (reloadable) with my CZC basepads + Grams guts. 

Having said that, I rarely find it necessary to have 22 in the pipe (21 in mag + 1 in the chamber) at the start signal; so I'm pretty content with my setup. I'm sure you'd find plenty of takers if you decided to part ways with those Grams kits you have sitting there in front of you. :)

So I run Grams followers with CZC Springs.  I kept having the CZC follower get pushed through the feed lips if I ran dry.  It would get chambered causing a major jam.  The Grams follower will not do this.  If anyone wants the CZC followers let me know.

I like the CZC springs as they are cheaper if purchased in bulk.  You have to drill a small hole in the grams follower to accommodate the CZC springs but now I can run either springs if needed.

Cheers,

Toby

On 9/8/2019 at 6:47 PM, The-S said:

Ran a mag through it flawlessly. Thank god.  I still think I’m ordering grams guts.  Does your slide lock back with them? 

My slide does lock back with the Grams spring and follower. If you don't already have a mag brush, bet the Arredondo that has the little tool in the bottom for popping the basepads off. I have one that doesn't have that tool from when I shot a Glock with TTI pads that were toolless.