Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Base Pads CZ Mags vs MecGar

Stuey

Someone please correct me if I am wrong, there are different base pads for CZ factory mags and MecGar mags. I have to buy different base pads for them.

I am asking because looking at Henning base pads they have ones for CZ mags and ones for CZ MecGar mags. Something tells me the if ones for just CZ mags will not fit on my CZ MecGar mags.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

FWIW, I have both CZ factory and Megar mags for my Shadow 2. They appear to be exactly the same. Both brands also accept the shock bottle aftermarket basepads. I’m not sure about Henning?

FWIW, I have both CZ factory and Megar mags for my Shadow 2. They appear to be exactly the same. Both brands also accept the shock bottle aftermarket basepads. I’m not sure about Henning?

Shockbottle are the same way. The ones on Ben Stoeger pro shop for CZ SP01 Shadow and Shadow 2 say they are for the 17 round MecGar mags but not recommended for 18 round mags. I am guessing the 18 round mags they are talking about are the CZ factor mags. (Link to the Shockbottle basepads https://benstoegerproshop.com/cz-sp-01-shadow-shadow-2-easy-off-basepads-by-shockbottle/)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

All of mine are 17 round capacity mags. I think the 18s are a bit longer or something. All the same I didn’t have any issues with either mag accepting the aftermarket pads. I think you should be fine. 

Give you an idea.

CZ 16, CZ( MecGar AFC) 17, CZ 18 ( SP01) magazines

911458320_smallCZmagazinemagmags_DSC0189small.jpg.6033d0bb8fcb49d843f6a1d43f626688.jpg

the tubes are different length and widths ( slightly)

different lock plates with position of retaining nub

and different springs  and followers ( mecgar-blue)

tube length. so be aware of basepads to meet the OAL for Carry Optics mags

814215864_smallMagtubemagazinelength_DSC0194small.jpg.8e5c8c3cd3a45c12c9f82969c32a786f.jpg

Difference in position of nub on lock plate

974178098_smallmagmagazinelockplate_DSC0191small.jpg.31f1857c7a90814c70f3b9a6e60d00d0.jpg

Edited by eerw

Give you an idea.
CZ 16, CZ( MecGar AFC) 17, CZ 18 ( SP01) magazines
911458320_smallCZmagazinemagmags_DSC0189small.jpg.6033d0bb8fcb49d843f6a1d43f626688.jpg

the tubes are different length and widths ( slightly)
different lock plates with position of retaining nub
and different springs  and followers ( mecgar-blue)

tube length. so be aware of basepads to meet the OAL for Carry Optics mags

814215864_smallMagtubemagazinelength_DSC0194small.jpg.8e5c8c3cd3a45c12c9f82969c32a786f.jpg

Difference in position of nub on lock plate

974178098_smallmagmagazinelockplate_DSC0191small.jpg.31f1857c7a90814c70f3b9a6e60d00d0.jpg

This helps, thank you.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I think it would matter if you are getting the basepads that doesn't add capacity and they use the factory lock plate, but for the ones that add capacity they would fit both(Taran's at least). I use Taran +4 and +2 and they fit both CZ factory and Mec Gar mags.

I keep reading, on the CZ Forum, that Mecgar makes the CZ magazines.  If they are made for CZ they are stamped CZ and CZ adds $10 or so to the price of them.  If Mecgar makes/sells them they stamp Mecgar on them and they are cheaper than the CZ magazines.

One issue would be that it's tough (impossible?) to put the +2 round plastic Mecgar and CZ bases on a 16 round magazine and use it in a full sized pistol.  The body isn't long enough to provide the room needed between the frame and the top of the base (BTDT).  You need the 17 round magazines for those +2 round bases.

I have had issues with both Mecgar and CZ stamped magazines not fitting correctly in the magazine wells of CZ pistols.  Sometimes a "fat" magazine slips through QC.  Or a skinny mag well.  I don't know for sure which is at fault.

On 9/5/2019 at 6:02 AM, M1A4ME said:

I have had issues with both Mecgar and CZ stamped magazines not fitting correctly in the magazine wells of CZ pistols.  Sometimes a "fat" magazine slips through QC.  Or a skinny mag well.  I don't know for sure which is at fault.

Is this magazine issue on a PreB pistol? They're known to be slightly narrower than the guns built in the last 20 years or so.

The 18 round magazines are a hair narrower than the others and generally fit the PreBs without issue.  The new nickel plated ones can be thicker and reluctant to drop free on some guns.

Edited by belus

Belus,

Some were in a Pre B, some in a CZ 75B in .40 S&W and one in a CZ Tactical Sport .40.

In the Pre B it was four out of eight of some 19 round magazines I'd ordered.  The mag well was opened up some (using 16 round magazines as a guide) before I had it refinished. In the CZ75B .40 it was three new 14 round (12 round with the Mecgar +2 bases on them) and one out of seven of the Tac. Sport magazines (these were used, so it may have been dropped, banged around some??)