Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

sti steelmaster major loads

RawTime

whats up people. Just wanted to post my findings with my sti steelmaster loaded to 9 mm major using CFE Pistol

i switched the factory spring to a 9LB, no other changes were made. the gun has a PT older grip and SVi trigger bow. I tried a 10 and liked the 9 a lil better, not that noticeable

124GN RMR JHP      WSRP      1.150OAL      CFE Pistol

6.7GN-  163PF

6.9GN-  169PF

7.1GN-  171PF

7.3GN-  172PF

also tried a buddies ammo that loaded hs6 on a 124 gn berrys rn bullet. made 171 and didnt feel too different than CFE

7.1 was pretty nice feeling and i think it gives me a decent cushion for majors.  I am not quite convinced that i like it more than minor tho haha. i want to try some 115 GN bullets but dont have time to get em and make a load and test since i am leaving for Utah tomorrow.

I have AA7 and 3N38 but i am skeptical about loading them, especially 3n38, because it fills the case so much, and this gun is made for Minor loads. 

I am gonna load up 500 or so of the 7.1 CFE and shoot a local match just to see how i do under the clock and what not. if i shoot like ass then i am gonna just shoot utah state in minor and hope my hits arent as s#!tty as they normally are. If anyone has any feedback on the 3n38 or aa7 for this gun in major let me know cuz i would be down to try it if someone else has already haha. thanks and hope this helps someone in the same boat 

3 minutes ago, 36873687 said:

Aa7 is the bomb in 9 major. An makes major with 115 easy with full size open gun. 

nice i am gonna load up 10 of eiach weight starting at 8gn of 3n38-8.7 

out of a 4.15" bareel with T1 comp, no popples, where should i start with AA7 would you think, i am on 124 JHP also, no 115 right now

Your never going to make major with 3n38 with 124 or 115 grain. I load for my buddy he has a shorty 9 major gun. I’d start at 9.8 an that’s at 1.165 ovl. So u at 1.150. I’d say u be at 10 or 9.9 aa7. With 124 grain. U might be able to make major with 115 but I my self wouldn’t try it.i have two 5.4 open guns an I’m at 10.55 with 115 grain 

Ah well s#!t. I have my oal at 1.178 that plunks and hand cycles in my gun. Starting with vv 3n38. Now I don’t know how i feel about doing it and may just stick to cfe or factory 9 mm and shoot minor 

When I loaded for 9 major I much preferred AA7 and 3n38 to every other powder I tried, with the nod going to 3n38, but not by a huge margin.  I found those two powders softer and a little more accurate than the others.  If I ever get back into shooing 9 major again Ive got an 8lb jug of AA7 waiting on me.  

I bought 12 lbs. of 3N38 during the shortage, because I was building a 9mm major gun and everyone said 3N38 was the cat's meow.  I measured 9.4gr and tried to pour it in the case.  It didn't fit.  I had to tamp, pour, tamp and pour more.  Plus I could not compress it enough.  All 12 lbs. are still sitting in my reloading room waiting for a local to want some.  For 38 Super I'm sure it's the cat's meow.  I've switched to Major Pistol powder for major loads.  It is half the price of 3N38, burns clean and meters like water.  If MP becomes unavailable, I'll switch to AA7.  I'm using up the rest of my WAC and Silhouette for minor steel loads.

4 hours ago, zzt said:

I bought 12 lbs. of 3N38 during the shortage, because I was building a 9mm major gun and everyone said 3N38 was the cat's meow.  I measured 9.4gr and tried to pour it in the case.  It didn't fit.  I had to tamp, pour, tamp and pour more.  Plus I could not compress it enough.  All 12 lbs. are still sitting in my reloading room waiting for a local to want some.  For 38 Super I'm sure it's the cat's meow.  I've switched to Major Pistol powder for major loads.  It is half the price of 3N38, burns clean and meters like water.  If MP becomes unavailable, I'll switch to AA7.  I'm using up the rest of my WAC and Silhouette for minor steel loads.

I'm in the same boat - lots o 3N38 sitting around left over from my 38SC guns. Did some experimenting a few months ago and came up with a load that shoots nice, makes PF and isn't much trouble to load on my 1050 with MBF.

I've measured 10.2 grains of 3N38 in a Starline 9MM case.- full to the top & scraped off flat.

9.2 grains @ 1.185 OAL makes 170PF with MG124JHP's in my 9Major Chaos (midsize with 2x 3/16" popples).  I start having problems with my MBF around 9.4 grain charge, but 9.2 charge loads easily with MBF... Actually better with MBF since it seats the bullet much more reliably than my fingers can with such a full case. 

38 minutes ago, racer-x said:

9.2 grains @ 1.185 OAL makes 170PF with MG124JHP

I can't load any longer than 1.165".  Also I only use fully processed brass that has been roll sized, so case capacity is diminished.    Even with a 124 I could not compress the powder enough.  I thought about using it for minor, but I've got so much Silhouette, WAC, Solo 1000, etc. to use up I think I'll just wait for someone local to need it.

Out of curiosity, can you fill one of your roll sized cases with 3N38, scrape the excess flat and then weigh that charge?

On the compressed powder aspect, you have to increase the seating depth to get the OAL you want. The 3N38 rebounds a little after being compressed.

For example, my 1050 setup for loading 1.185 OAL with 9.3 grains 3N38 will produce 1.165 OAL rounds with no powder charge. 

My guess is that to end up <= 1.165 OAL, you would need to seat your bullet down to 1.140 with no powder in case.

Simply pouring the powder in and scraping off the excess I get 9.8 gr in.  If I pour some in, tap the case on the table five times to settle the powder, then repeat two more times I can get 10.8 gr in.  Your 1050 may exert more pressure than my Hornady LnL.  The most I can compress 9.4 gr is 1.175".  I don't want to load that long.

14 hours ago, zzt said:

Simply pouring the powder in and scraping off the excess I get 9.8 gr in.  If I pour some in, tap the case on the table five times to settle the powder, then repeat two more times I can get 10.8 gr in.  Your 1050 may exert more pressure than my Hornady LnL.  The most I can compress 9.4 gr is 1.175".  I don't want to load that long.

Interesting - thank you.

Hadn't considered the difference in charging via Dillon powder measure vs. trickling it in vs. tap & settle you described either. Looks like the Dillon powder measure settles the powder some in the drop. I just tried all of those and there was more difference than I expected.

Using same fired & resized case,

1050 dump 9.3gr charge + trickle in more & scrape off excess = 10.44 grains

trickle in to full & scrape off excess = 10.21 grains

trickle in to full, tap case on bench to settle, add more & scrape off excess = 10.86 grains

So I just shot Utah state. Had a bunch of issues. Maybe mag related. Maybe Ammo. Assuming Ammo because I switched from the major hot s#!t with 3n38 and aa7 and used cfe ( way more violent) but it ran. Needless to say, i hate 9major and can’t wait for my 38 sc back. 

8.5gr 3N38 125gr Blue bullet @ 1.150" 170pf. It's compressed but it's not a problem.  9.1gr 3N38 115 Blue Bullet @ 1.150" 168pf no problem ether. Loaded on a 1050.  This is what we run in a Czechmate. The 8.5gr 3N38 125gr Blue bullet @ 1.150" 170pf load was chronoed at Area8, Mid-Atl Sec. & VA/MD sec,

Edited by CZ85Combat