Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Differences Between An Xd And G34

Newguy

After shooting Lim and open, I decided to try production since I don't have time to reload, at least for the next few months.

I was debating between the 5" XD and G34 and luckily an indoor range had both for rent. Judging by the finish they had been around the block. I shot the XD and G34 using the same box of ammo.

The difference was surprising. First, my shots with the XD were all over the paper. I chalked that up to being unfamiliar with the gun and not having shot polymers for a while. But the G34's shots were tightly grouped. So, I assume it was the gun.

For whatever reason, the recoil on the XD seemed harsher than the G34 and the sights jumped more. The G34 had a LOT milder recoil and the front sight dropped back into the rear notch quicker. The G34 was a smoother shooter.

Since I'm a 2011/1911 fan I didn't approach this with a strong bias toward either gun. If anything, I expected more from the XD and less from the Glock. Anyway, I was surprised.

I'm trying to figure out why the recoil on the G34 would feel milder than the XD, especially since it weighs 31oz compared to 23 for the Glock. The only thing I can figure out is that -- at least for me -- the ergonomics and the lighter slide weight of the G34 made the difference. Or, maybe it was the balance. Anyone have similar experiences?

BTW, this isn't intended to bash XDs, I'm just curious about the difference.

The grip-to-bore angle is a lot steeper on the Glock. Everyone's hands & wrists are different but it sounds like yours prefer the angle of the Glock. Probably your support-hand wrist is getting a better lock.

The XD points 'lower', the angle is more shallow than a 1911 even. It uses Beretta mags. And it has a grip safety behind the top of the mag, the Glock doesn't.

The XD's bore sits higher over the web of the hand compared to a Glock. More like a Sig.

Edited by eric nielsen

I'm a 1911 fan and I fought the Glock thing for a long time, and finally bought a 35 to shoot 3 gun with. Man I wish I would have bought it a long time ago. Nothing has run better for me, with minimal jams (my reloads were at fault), and the accuracy for an out of the box gun is outstanding. Love it man, love it!

The XD has a heavier slide then the Glock and produces more felt recoil. If the slide weight on the XD is reduced to match the Glock slide the felt recoil is about the same.

The XD is capable of having a much better trigger then the Glock so if you are willing to do a little work on the gun the XD is a better way to go........

I tried the trigger on Smitty's gun (he recently bought and XD with Canyon Creek trigger already done) and it is pretty nice. But, Ive been shooting my Glocks for about 9-10 months now and its taken me that long to get used to the different grip angle and pointing and trigger. I shot the STI's for so long that I was really dialed into them, and after taking a break from IPSC and coming back, I wanted to shoot Production, but didnt really like the XD's, so I chose Glocks.

After having spent the time to get used to them, I'll stick with them. Pointing to the same place is a real biggie for me and I dont want to change that again, going from 1911 (STI, Para, XD) to Glocks, that was too long and hard to do again. Plus, I really like the Vanek, Sotelo and homemade triggers, they're pretty darn close to the XD and even better depending on what you want the trigger to feel like.

XD Canyon Creek triggers are nice though.

It is all about what feels best to you, 9mm's don't recoil to me, so it comes about the way they point, I think the XD is easier to reload (I always get the mag stuck in the "hole" in the grip of the Glock), (the sights can be the same) and the trigger, and I've yet to see a Glock trigger that is as good as the one you can get on a XD ;) Mine is set up dang close to a 1911 style trigger, which just makes it easire to switch between guns. They both will out shoot you :D

Ps. You don't have to worry about light hits with a XD trigger job, it hit's full strength.

Edited by Loves2Shoot

I bought a G34 set up with FO sights, Vanek trigger, the works. I then worked on the Bianchi plates for three months, could take em all down :ph34r: . I then bought a XD and got a trigger job and the same FO sights. I dropped two at 25yds the first time out. The XD fits my hand better, reloads/always drops free for me, and I like the trigger better than the Glock. I still like the Glock, but.... ;)