Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Im really tired of carrying around our steel walls and steel feet...setup is a one or two man show a lot of times.  Considering making a few 2x2 walls as a test.  I see in videos how the walls are supported/braced but I am unsure how the brace attaches to the wall.  Are yall using some sort of hitch pin or quick disconnect of some sort?  We have a lot of wind and if we leave our walls standing today that are made of steel tubing a strong wind will bend the legs of single walls which is another reason im looking to change.  I want to be able to leave the walls up for weeks at a time.  

Ever hefted a wall made with2x2s?

There’s a reason we switched to our 3/4” steel tubing and snow fence setup. These things are light.

We use three pieces of steel tubing welded to a flat piece of sheetmetal for the legs. Just drop the walls into the feet. Seldom need to stake them down, and there are no diagonals to trip over.

What steel are you using that bends? Conduit or the like?

Edited by MemphisMechanic

12 hours ago, MemphisMechanic said:

Are the walls covered in something solid that catches the wind? 3/4” steel isn’t that strong in a six foot length.

Snow fence material doesn’t catch the wind much. I think that’s crucial.

Currently they are covered in a plastic lattice.  Open like snow fence but a lot more rigid.  This is likely adding a little to the weight and maybe catching some more wind.  

1 hour ago, CrashDodson said:

Currently they are covered in a plastic lattice.  Open like snow fence but a lot more rigid.  This is likely adding a little to the weight and maybe catching some more wind.  

Our range is windy 20-30mph is not unusual 

we tried 2x2 with plastic lattice, you’re right they’re  heavy and act like a sail

currently we use 2x2 wood frames and snow/construction fence, it’s a lot lighter, doesn’t catch as much wind, but they will still blow over

For the feet, we use a mix of round tubing welded to steel flat stock about 2’ long with holes drilled on each end to stake and 2” square sign post tubing 

all of our feet have a single, double or triple hole which allows for various wall configuration 

maybe i will stick with the metal....replace the lattice.

Im also thinking about trying to come up with a easily removable brace for the current metal walls that I could use to leave the walls up for an extended period.  I am hoping if I brace both ends, use a lag bolt to anchor the brace to the ground I could avoid having to pound stakes in each wall foot.