Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Roller Bearing Vs Oilite Bushing? Case Feeder Jamming too.

Hi Guys, 

I'm using a 650 that I bought used from a guy that makes and process ammo and brass. It's pumping out 40 however but I'm having issues with the 40 cases hanging up and not always dropping down through the red plastic washer. Sometimes a case will catch a lip or the spring arm that drops a case will stay in the back position. The black plastic ram, that engages the spring case feeder piece, is worn down the center so I taped a piece of 1/8" wood to it so it would engage the case feeder piece fully. It works but not 100%. I've decided I'm going to box this up and have Dillon refurb it. Wife doesn't know but I have a brand new 650 and case feeder in the attic. Plan was to sell one BUT not anymore haha! I'll setup the new one when this one is gone. 

That all said..... I have been using the double washer and roller bearing. For the new press I was looking at those Oilite bushing with the low mass detent and spring. Any benefit either way with either one? I'm also gonna toss the ejector spring and get that 3d printed plastic ejector that fits over the shell place bolt. 

I went with the olite. i put it on a brand new 650 before i ran one case but it is very smooth. before you send it off I would try putting  the snowshooze kit on it

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Dillon-Grand-Slam-Performance-Improvements-Kit/223073346537?hash=item33f03523e9:m:m1ntdMSQjQj4icrkcpgA-_Q

I went with this one that has all his parts

the case stop (which will replace your worn block)

the roller bearing piece that will replace the part that caused the wear

primer stop which replaces the primer actuator with a piece that can slide out of the way

the roller cam for rotating shell plate

low mass detent ball and spring

and olite washer.

He sells all this seperately but you save a couple bucks buying together

The shipping for the press 2 ways may cost more than this kit.

10 hours ago, IrishPsych said:

Hi Guys, 

I'm using a 650 that I bought used from a guy that makes and process ammo and brass. It's pumping out 40 however but I'm having issues with the 40 cases hanging up and not always dropping down through the red plastic washer. Sometimes a case will catch a lip or the spring arm that drops a case will stay in the back position. The black plastic ram, that engages the spring case feeder piece, is worn down the center so I taped a piece of 1/8" wood to it so it would engage the case feeder piece fully. It works but not 100%. I've decided I'm going to box this up and have Dillon refurb it. Wife doesn't know but I have a brand new 650 and case feeder in the attic. Plan was to sell one BUT not anymore haha! I'll setup the new one when this one is gone. 

That all said..... I have been using the double washer and roller bearing. For the new press I was looking at those Oilite bushing with the low mass detent and spring. Any benefit either way with either one? I'm also gonna toss the ejector spring and get that 3d printed plastic ejector that fits over the shell place bolt. 

I’ve had the same issues as you with 40 in the past. Send it back to dillon cause chances are it’s out of alignment. As for the upgrades I ran all the upgrades mark at snowsooz makes and the only thing you can feel the difference with is the oilite washer and the shell plate ball and spring kit he has. All the other stuff feels the same or no different than just having these 2 upgrades. After the press came back from Dillon I left all upgrades off except the oil ring and the detent ball and reduced spring. In ran like a top. Honestly I would not buy the other upgrades rather than the 2 I described. Not worth it after the press came back realigned from Dillon. I found out the hard way get it back to dillon and you’ll see the difference with them getting it to like new working order. People will say all the upgrades smooth out the press more and more but the ball, spring and washer is really all you need in my opinion. I’ll throw a wrench in your program upgrade to a 1050. I wish I did that years ago. Sold both my 650 and got the 1050 in November and man it’s fn awesome. I didn’t know what I was missing 😂 

Oh man, a 1050 is tempting. I could process a lot of rifle brass. I know a local competitive shooter reloads for pistol only a few times year. He hooked up an autodrive, presses a button and makes thousands. Said he makes Ammo in batches of 10k as he shoots around 30k a year. 

Ill keep my eye open for one. I could also use a larger Bandsaw for woodworking. Pricey hobbies I’ve got. 

Oh yeah, my .308 cases on a brand new 650 also get stuck at the conversion kit adapter piece on the casefeeder. They don't get pulled far enough to fall down to the shellplate level properly. Any fix for this?

Sent from my LG-H811 using Tapatalk

• 1 year later...

Resurrecting this one from last year...

Has anyone actually compared the Oil-lite bushings from Snowshooze with the shell plate bearing from Hit Factor??? On the Hit Factor website, they state that they used to sell the Oil-lite bushings, but had better results using the bearings. The unfortunate part of the bearing is the need to bend the ejector wire.

Looking to smooth out the action of my new XL750.

11 hours ago, SJBriggs said:

Resurrecting this one from last year...

Has anyone actually compared the Oil-lite bushings from Snowshooze with the shell plate bearing from Hit Factor??? On the Hit Factor website, they state that they used to sell the Oil-lite bushings, but had better results using the bearings. The unfortunate part of the bearing is the need to bend the ejector wire.

Looking to smooth out the action of my new XL750.

I’ve had both on my 650s. Both smooth out the press a little but even with all the upgrades both co sell when you have 2 presses working side by side one without all the upgrades and one with all the difference is really not that much. It dies solve the powder spills but all in all you wonder if all the upgrades were actually worth it. From personal experience after getting all the different upgrades it’s really not worth all the money. Some do make a difference but all together really not enough to justify the money for all the new upgrades. Sarge on the forum has said numerous times about all the new upgrades and gimmicks for our presses that they really don’t make much of a difference and now I do believe that. But like I said some have their place. 

Edited by Dirtchevy841

• 6 months later...

I am trying to reduce the powder slosh on my 650. I already have the light weight detent ball installed.

Today I changed out my Oil-lite for a roller bearing from EK2 and I think the roller bearing is every so slightly smoother and I think the roller bearing may allow the shell plate bolt to be a little tighter than the Oil-Lite.