Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Talking while reading stage briefings

I have to go on record as saying this is a pet peeve of mine. Shooters who talk, air gun the stage behind me and generally ignore my reading of a stage briefing really bug me. Last weekend one shooter was particularly annoying. I stopped and asked that they please pay attention. They said they were paying attention at which time I said, "Then please stop talking.":eatdrink:  They later apologized and I said all was good to which they said, " well you did yell at me". :goof:    And of course they left the stage when complete without the usual thank you and hand shake. LOL

Am I the only one who stops and listens to the RO while they read me the stage briefing? I mean, they are reading it for my benefit after all.

I typically try and respect whoever is reading by listening but steel challenge matches or matches that don’t change, I don’t pay “as much” attention as I do when it’s new or at a new place. Typically if I do talk it’s because someone asked me something. Typically it’s “what did he just say about __________”.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

8 hours ago, mattmann said:

if I talk it’s because someone asked me something. Typically it’s “what did he just say about __________”.

I'm usually the guy who can't hear the RO reading the stage description and asking "what did he just say about _______."

Especially when you get an MD who insists on having  50+  shooters attend the reading.     :eatdrink:

Please try to keep it down to a single squad - don't try to tell 50 people how to shoot the COF - There's

no way I will be able to hear you if I'm packed in with 49 other people.

When I RO unless the shooter is distracting other shooters who are trying to pay attention to the stage briefing I ignore them.  If they are distracting other shooters in any way I ask them to please be respectful of those who are trying to pay attention.  They paid their match fee so let them be.

When I'm the shooter I usually want to hear the stage description but not always.  I've usually read it several times prior to your reading and, sometimes, I might feel like doing something else while you read.  I try not to bug anyone who is listening to or attempting to ask questions of the CRO.

1 hour ago, jhgtyre said:

If they are distracting other shooters in any way I ask them to please be respectful of those who are trying to pay attention.  They paid their match fee so let them be.

So, your opinion is if somebody paid their match fee we should let them do as they please? That makes absolutely zero sense from a match management perspective. So what is the next step in this logic? "Hello I'm the RO let me know when you are ready to shoot. If you need me to run you I can but feel free to run yourselves. The stage brief is there on the table somewhere. Enjoy!" :goof:

I don't always need to hear the stage briefing either but i respect the volunteers enough to at least give them 30 seconds of my time.

4 hours ago, Sarge said:

So, your opinion is if somebody paid their match fee we should let them do as they please? That makes absolutely zero sense from a match management perspective. So what is the next step in this logic? "Hello I'm the RO let me know when you are ready to shoot. If you need me to run you I can but feel free to run yourselves. The stage brief is there on the table somewhere. Enjoy!" :goof:

I don't always need to hear the stage briefing either but i respect the volunteers enough to at least give them 30 seconds of my time.

You can chose to take it to the absurd if you like but that isn't what I said.  The individual shooter doesn't have to listen to your reading of the stage briefing if they don't want to.

The good thing about the shooting community is that MOST of the time everyone is very cool and very positive. I have only seen one instance of people really arguing and about an hour later they were cutting up and having a great time. I see this every now and then but typically those people stay behind while everyone follows the ro to the next stage. Almost a non issue where I shoot BUT I also am not the ro so I don’t pay much attention to that!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

22 hours ago, jhgtyre said:

You can chose to take it to the absurd if you like but that isn't what I said.  The individual shooter doesn't have to listen to your reading of the stage briefing if they don't want to.

Then I don’t have to waste my time reading it I guess? Rules say I have to read it but don’t say I have to answer all the questions afterward because they didn’t listen. What’s absurd is condoning not listening to a WSB. That’s actually more than absurd but I’ll have to leave it that